PDA

View Full Version : OK, do you think they'd let me????

catnapper
01-18-2006, 01:14 PM
As you can tell, today I'm doing everything in my power to avoid real work....

I am sifting through receipts for taxes and came across one for a dress I bought in 1999 and never wore. I still have the dress, complete with tags firmly attached. Do ya think they'd take the dress back? So I have the nerve to try? LOL It was an expensive dress... I could use the money, even in a store credit!

prechrswife
01-18-2006, 01:19 PM
They might, but they may only be able to give you the value of the last price at which that dress was sold. For example, when I worked at a department store back during my college years, we had someone bring in a comforter. It was a similar situation--it had been in a closet, and was never used. It also still had its tag. We were only able to refund her the clearance price for it.

Some stores also have a limited return time frame. It may be worth a try, though.

RedHedd
01-18-2006, 01:19 PM
Depends on what store. I know Nordstrom would take it back. I'd do it, but then I'm probably as gutsy as you :cool:

catnapper
01-18-2006, 01:21 PM
Ah, I'd understand the value of the lowest price it sold for, but I have the receipt showing what I paid.

The only thing I saw on the company's website is that they refund with a recipt and tag in place, to the original form of payment. I no longer have the credit card I used. So I'd assume they'd give me store credit?

I know I'm asking them a lot to return a 6 year old dress.

Oh, it was JC Penney's

lv4dogs
01-18-2006, 01:32 PM
Hey it can't hurt to try! And besides you said you couldn't find anything about a time limit. ;)

caseysmom
01-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Can you make the date part hard to read..hehe...I would be embarrased after that long but hey its worth a try.

moosmom
01-18-2006, 04:22 PM
I'd give it a try. You've got all the paperwork they require for a refund. Don't laugh about it being 6 years. When I worked for Bed, Bath & Beyond, I had an elderly couple come in with a down pillow they bought 3 years before they wanted to return. It came complete with drool stains on it (I mean it was NASTY looking!!). Although they didn't have the receipt, the store manager gave them a credit. Go figure.

cyber-sibes
01-18-2006, 04:40 PM
I work in a nice clothing store and their policy is that after 90 days, all you get back is the lowest price an item sold for. So even if it cost $100, you may only get 2.98, as they keep reducing prices after almost all stores are sold out of the item just for cases like this. And I cant imagine any circumstance under which our manager would accept a return after 6 years, tags or no tags!

I have a better suggestion - donate it to the Salvation Army or Goodwill, get a receipt, (they don't care how much you claim) and you can take the full amount against your taxes as a donation to charity.

catnapper
01-18-2006, 04:42 PM
I work in a nice clothing store and their policy is that after 90 days, all you get back is the lowest price an item sold for. So even if it cost $100, you may only get 2.98, as they keep reducing prices after almost all stores are sold out of the item just for cases like this.

I have a better suggestion - donate it to the Salvation Army or Goodwill, get a receipt, (they don't care how much you claim) and you can take the full amount against your taxes as a donation to charity.
I already have $1000 worth of Goodwill donations sitting here. Receipts for those items too. I will just see if either of my girls would wear it to prom or something. Its a gorgeous red ball gown. I bought it for a formal dance and decided at last minute that breathing was better than looking good ;)

caseysmom
01-18-2006, 04:47 PM
You could sell it at a consignment shop too but may not get what its worth.

cyber-sibes
01-19-2006, 09:14 AM
I decided at last minute that breathing was better than looking good ;)
GOOD decision! Comfort first, that's my rule. With many spring flings and proms comin up, there's bound to be someone who wants to look gorgeous!

Laura's Babies
01-19-2006, 09:37 AM
I would be FAR to embarrassed to even try to take it back after all this time.

Have to tell you my sisters story... She had one of those box fans that she had bought at TG&Y (remember those stores) about 10 years prior and it went out after all those years of use and went back to get another one. They were out but expecting some in the next day. She made the remark to the the store clerk that hers had went out and what a good fan it had been and how long it lasted and that is why she wanted another one just like it.. The store manager overheard the conversation and told my sister that if she brought the old one back, they would replace it.... and they DID! 10 years later!

K9karen
01-20-2006, 01:12 AM
If worse comes to worse, and Penney's won't take it back or give you credit etc, there are some organizations that will gladly accept gowns, used or new, for girls who can't afford them for proms etc. I gave some away to "Fairygodmothers" (I forget the website full address) but thery're here in Pa, near me, and you can mail it to them. I worked part time in a department store in the dress department, and people would return summer dresses and gowns in the winter. Some worn, some new, and because the customer is always right, we always took them back.