PDA

View Full Version : Have a question about digital camera?

MyLittleMutt
01-17-2006, 07:24 AM
I'm thinking of buying a new digital camera. I like the one I got. But I'm looking for something a little better. I really don't want to pay over $200 for one.

I'm not totally sure if I will get a new one just yet. But I wanted to look and see what was in my price range. I'd really love to have a newer camera.

I was looking at some cameras at Wal Mart and just wanted some opinions on them.

My first choice is the Olympus FE-110 5MP
I've had this brand before and I really liked it.

My second choice is the Sony 4.1 MP Cyber-shot DSC-S40
I really don't know alot about this brand. But from what I read it seems like a good camera. This camera is the cheapest of the three I like.

My last choice is the Canon 4 MP PowerShot A520
Again, I don't know to much about this brand. But I have heard good things about Canon cameras. This one is little higher then the Olympus.

Anita Cholaine
01-17-2006, 11:04 AM
I had no idea about Olympus cameras, but I have a Sony and I really like it. I never had a Canon, but I know that they are excellent cameras; I've seen lots of pics taken with Canons and they are awesome!

Good luck! Hope you get the best camera for you! :)

Kfamr
01-17-2006, 01:12 PM
Go for the Canon. It may be higher in price but it is 110% worth it.

Randi
01-17-2006, 01:32 PM
Have you checked this site to compare? It really boils down to what you need. ;)

http://www.dpreview.com/

I have an Olympus C5060, it's really good! (there are later models out since). My husband was a pro photographer and he chose it - after checking a lot of cameras. It's not one of those small ones you keep in your pocket, though.

Uabassoon
01-17-2006, 02:18 PM
I'd go with the canon. I love mine and would never consider another brand.

Jessika
01-17-2006, 02:47 PM
Go with Canon, hands down. The powershot series is the absolute best on the market right now for the price/quality ratio. Mine has lasted me nearly three years and the quality is still as good today as it was the day I bought it. And its VERY durable; this camera has been dropped on cement, sat on, stepped on, banged around and it upholds VERY well.

For examples of photos taken with mine, check out
http://aussiestock.zoto.com
http://dontstay.zoto.com

MyLittleMutt
01-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Ok, thanks for the opinions. :) I'll look around some more, but I think I might go with the canon.

Those are really great picutres Jessika. :)

ComedyDevil
01-17-2006, 03:23 PM
Echo everyone - I'd go with the Canon.

Personally I wouldn't touch any of the cheaper Olympus' with a bargepole. Easy to use, but HORRIBLE picture quality. (this is speaking from personal experience with several olympus cameras - the one I'm using now while my Canon is being fixed is an Olympus, and it's a horrible camera). The higher range Olympus' are nice, but they would be WELL out of your price range, so I'd go with the Canon. :)

MyLittleMutt
01-18-2006, 06:42 AM
We went to Wal Mart last night and the Canon was Out of Stock. I didn't see no Olympus except a 35mm camera. All they had was Sony, Kodak (we have already), Fujgi Film (sp?), and the Nikon. So we went with the Sony.

They kinda had a bad selection, about everything was a Kodak or a Fujgi Film Camera.

So far I like the Sony, we got. I haven't downloaded any pictures yet. I've been feeling sick, so didn't feel like it.

I'm going try download some pictures today.

Jessika
01-18-2006, 02:34 PM
I probably would have waited until more were in stock or gone to Best Buy to get the Canon. I know they're having a sale right now on a lot of their digital cameras ;)

RedHedd
01-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Another vote for the Canon. The PowerShot A510 is Consumer Reports top pick. I have it and I LOVE it. The 520 is the next model up.

MyLittleMutt
01-18-2006, 03:26 PM
I could had waited. But the way we spend money, I figured I better go ahead and get a camera now.

We don't have a Best Buy near us. We live in a tiny little town in VA. All we have is Wal Mart and a Mall that really has nothing in it.