PDA

View Full Version : Clarence Ray Allen execution

Don Juan's mom
01-17-2006, 01:04 AM
I'm rather intrigued by the controversy over his upcoming (well, an hour from now) execution, saying that it's "cruel and unusual" to execute an old, blind, deaf and crippled man. It occurred to me that his death probably won't be much different from that meted out to an old, blind, deaf and crippled dog who never did anything worse than chew up a pair of shoes. And we would say the dog's owner was doing his pet a kindness.

Oh, well.

Liz

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-17-2006, 09:43 AM
I heard the news report this morning how he has now passed on. At first they reported that he was deaf, blind and in a wheel chair. Today I hear he's "legally blind" which means he can still see some things, he is "nearly deaf" which means he can still hear some things, and he was able to walk into the execution room (how awful does that sound?) on his own. They also said he had a heart attack not long ago.

After hearing all this, my thoughts were the same as yours, Liz. If this were an animal we would be doing it a favor to put it out of its misery....

I'm conflicted over the death penalty ever since that former Black Panther was put to death so I don't know if it was right to put this frail elderly man to death either. On one side I think yeah, he committed the crime and should be dealt the punishment even though he has grown old in the meantime. On the other hand, he's just a frail old man......as usual these days, I'm confused as to what to think..... :confused:

lizbud
01-17-2006, 06:50 PM
I don't believe that excecuting this criminal is complarable to
putting an old dog to sleep.This person ordered the execution of
three people & he was behind bars when he did it.They only reason
he wasn't dead already was his endless delays by making appeal after
appeal through the legal system.