PDA

View Full Version : Know anything about computers?

slleipnir
01-16-2006, 05:34 PM
I'm thinking of getting a new computer, and selling my old one. How do you know what to sell it for?

I have an IBM pentium III, 1133MHz, 261,000KB ram, windows 2000, 26 gig HD..it's a laptop. I think I got it in 02-03..any idea what i could get for it...

Also, whats a good brand of computer to buy? (I want a laptop)

/edit
Oh yeah, I duno about the stats for it..I looked under something on the comp to see...

sammy101
01-16-2006, 05:56 PM
I got a Dell laptop last year and its pretty good.I would recommend it :)
And we just got a new Gateway desktop and i love it.great computer.
sorry if i'm not much help :o

Laura's Babies
01-16-2006, 06:21 PM
I am on my second Toshiba laptop, had no problem with the old one, had it 5 years and love the new one except for the touch pad (and they all have those anyway.) I outgrew the old one when I upgraded to a newer digital camera with more MP's.

I don't know what to suggest you sell it for, I gave my old one to my son Eddie that is still in the hospital and his wife uses it to update his web sight rather than staying on the phone all day. It has come in waaaay to handy for that. It also lets him have something to do when he wants to play around on the internet.

WolvesRawk
01-16-2006, 06:33 PM
You may not be able to get more than a few hundred dollars for it. I was looking at computers just today. You can get a good notebook with about 120 gb harddrive (I forgot how much RAM but it was a pretty high amount) and build in wireless internet for about $1300.
As for what to get, I love Dells but HP and Toshiba are great too. I've had a gateway and didn't like it at all but they have improoved so I can't judge them.

tomkatzid
01-16-2006, 06:51 PM
My 2 cents worth,
Dell is the only way to go for laptops. I bought mine used a ''long'' time ago for $750 and saw it recently at the Boeing outlet store for $350. It had original Win 98 on it. Mine has been upgraded to XP Pro, PhotoShopcs2 and is fine for traveling. Look on WWW.Costco.com on the refurb page too, they have the same warranty as new ones. Tom got a refurb and it is perfect.
As for selling an old computer. You probably won't be able to get much at all. Selling it to a friend or family member means fixing it for them every time something goes wrong. Been there done that. Giving it to them sort of takes you off the hook ! Check out E Bay for sales completed for a computer jsut like yours, same specs ect... That will tell you good starting point for a price.
Again, just my 2 cents worth.
Katz

slleipnir
01-16-2006, 06:58 PM
My dad is going to buy it from me. I don't expect more than a couple hundred, but he told me to look into it. And seeing I go to him to fix MY computer problems, I won't have to worry about that other problem hehe.

slleipnir
01-17-2006, 06:34 PM
bump

Jessika
01-17-2006, 06:57 PM
This is a rough ballpark guestimate but I guess you'd get anywhere around $400, if its a 15" screen.

If you want more specific specs, go to
start > programs > accessories > system tools > system information
and it will give you all the hardware information including information on the sound and video cards, etc.

king2005
01-17-2006, 07:05 PM
I have to agree, Sell is the best that we have. It has a GREAT customer service. If all hell breaks loose & Your comp dies, they come to you house to fix it & if they cannot fix it, they replace it (BUT check with Sell before you buy it, to make sure its still like that). It has a good warrenty as well (GET IT!! its well worth it, cause dropping it is covered).

We have alwasy put our nose up to Dell, untill Tom was forced to get one from his job. He loves it & Tom is hard to please.

Insted of making ur dad pay for the laptop, see if he'll pay for 1yr's worth of training for Zeke or flyball. As I have learned, fathers tend to like that better then handing over cash, well my dad did anyways, as he knew where the money was going & not being wasted.

slleipnir
01-17-2006, 08:04 PM
Naw, my dad would rather give me cash for it I think. I am currently not spending any money on any dog training (as I don't pay for flyball for some reason....they must forget I go there???) I got that part of it all worked out though.

Now for bigger concerns. I'm looking at a Dell Inspiron 1300 and a Dell Inspiron 6000. Now, the only real difference *I* see in the 2 is you get 500mb EXTRA ram, and you get a WSXGA screen instead of a WXGA...

What is the difference between the 2 screens? I know that the WSXGA you get higher resolution (1600 something x ??) for a 15" screen..wouldn't that be REALLY small? I hear it's good for photo editing. The difference in price would be $200..so, is it REALLY worth an extra $200 for an WSXGA screen??? If you make the screen smaller than it's native resolution, is the screen not as clear etc?