PDA

View Full Version : I have a stupid question ... ;)

.sarah
01-16-2006, 04:38 PM
I'll be moving out next year and I'd love to adopt an adult cat from the humane society. I'm just wondering how much a healthy cat costs. I could sit here and add up food, vaccines, etc. but I don't know how much little things like litter cost each month. I'd prefer to have an inside cat even though cleaning litter boxes is one of my least favorite things to do at work. I'm just afraid that my cat would get hurt roaming free outside (maybe one day I'll own an inside/outside cat, but having never owned a cat before I'll be too worried about it outside :p).

So, how much would you estimate a healthy adult indoor cat costs each month?

dab_20
01-16-2006, 04:42 PM
well oreo doesn't cost much at all. we just by a reallly big bag of litter and a big bag of dry cat food. and then we only have to buy one bag of food a month and ltter like every three months.

sorry, not sure about the costs, cuz i don't pay for any of that stuff.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-16-2006, 04:50 PM
Good idea to adopt an adult cat. They will generally cost less than a kitten because they've already been through their serious of shots so you should only have to take them to the vet once a year for annual check up and any shots they need annually.

One cat is really relatively cheap. Even premium food for one cat shouldn't run you more than, say, $100.00 year and depending on what type of litter you choose, it will cost even less than the food. Then there are toys and beds and condos and such, but you can also get away with that relatively cheap. If you read much here on the cat side, you'll find that most cats prefer home made toys such as crinkled up paper or aluminum foil rather than expensive toys. Instead of a condo, you can put a chair or couch near a window so kitty can see out and towels work well for beds, or if you're handy, someone here has a pattern for making beds which should help keep the cost down. My biggest downfall is walking into PetSmart (or similar type pet store). I need to keep my eyes glued to the floor and ONLY look at what I'm there for - dry food, litter, etc. ;)

catmandu
01-16-2006, 06:34 PM
One Cat would probably need about 5 Bags,20 Pounds of Dry,and maybe 6 Cases Of Wet,and a 40 Pound Bag of Litter every 2 Months.
And his shots,and check up,of course.
The Toys you can buy at a Dollar Store or The Salvation Army.
And you can wait until the Foods on sale ,and phone the Pet Food Companies for coupons to save money.
Good luck with your New Cat,and we hope that you find a Beloved Companion.

catnapper
01-16-2006, 06:51 PM
Hmmm... depending on your area and vet costs, a healthy cat might cost $75 a year to see the vet for his/her annual shots and such.

I would say litter might be $5-10 a month, depending on brand and type you chose

a few scratching posts can be as little as $20 (maybe cheaper if you make your own) and as much as $200 for a cat tree scratching post.

Beds also range in price - you could just simple use an old blanket and they'd be as happy as can be or you can have a special bed just for them

Toys are important to keep them active (especially if older so they don't gain weight) so get a few inteactive toys like feather wands and such. These are fairly cheap, about $7 and mine last a while, even with 5 cats.

Food can really range in cost. The better the food, the less they will poop and less poop is a good thing in my book ;) You can spend $3 on a 7 pound bag of Cat Chow that would last 2-3 weeks, and you can spoend $15 on a 7 pound bag of Nutro Natural Choice will last 3-4 weeks (they also eat less of the better food because there's less fillers and more "real" food... think of it like Cat Chow is McDonalds and the Premium foods are an expensive healthy restaurant. You certainly can live on McDonalds but its not going to be the best thing for you.)

Of course there is never a gaurantee a cat will always be healthy. In the past 3 months, I've spent nearly $1,000 on my perfectly healthy Pouncer. They get sick just like you do for various reasons. Allen is 4 years old now and I've never had to take hi to the vet for anything more than his once a year physical.

Also many healthy adult cats need dental treatments at the vet. This will run you $100 and more. You can combat it at home with cleaning his./her teeth reguarly and giving dental treats (about $5 a package) but she/he might still need the professional cleaning just like you would.

You're being very smart about this! For the most part my cats don't cost me too much, but those emergencies sure do take a chunk out of my pocketbook :o Best thing you can do to keep vet costs and such down is preventative care, like brushing their teeth and feeding a better quality food. It might cost you mre money at the start but it does save you in the long run.

All that said, I buy in bulk (5 cats... I have to! :D) and only when things are on sale or I have a coupon. I usually spend about $100 a month on all 5 food food, treats, toys, litter, etc. Shhh.... don't let hubby know that! ;)

.sarah
01-16-2006, 11:16 PM
Thanks everyone! That's really helpful!

The reason I was wanting an adult cat was actually because I've never owned a cat. It's the same reasoning as I wouldn't really reccomend a puppy for a first time dog owner. I had also thought about the vaccines, too ... I know that can add up.

Fortunately I work at a vet so the cost of vaccines, dental cleanings, emergencies, etc. are all cut in half. I really want to get a cat, I've always wanted one, but I just don't know yet if I'll be able to afford it. I will be taking Nova and Luka with me and possibly Mandy (she may stay here since she's getting really attatched to my parents.) Plus I may be getting a Great Dane this year and if I do I will really be on a budget ;)

Good thing is, I haven't really spent any of the money I've made in the past 1 1/2 years, so I've got quite a bit saved up.

Any more help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Jessika
01-16-2006, 11:23 PM
Depending on what type of food you get, for an 8-lb bag it will run anywhere from $8 - $13 a month, and assuming an 8-lb bag lasts you a month. Then for a big bucket of refillable clay litter from petco (the one you bring back and refill yourself) I think the first purchase is maybe $15 and then to refill its only like $11 and that will definitely last a month for only one cat.

Then the vet bills but I'm sure you know about that ;)

Overall -- not much at all!

.sarah
01-18-2006, 11:36 AM
*bump* :)

dab_20
01-18-2006, 11:37 AM
when people post *bump* what does that mean exactly? lol kinda slow...

Don Juan's mom
01-18-2006, 12:20 PM
I adopted both of my cats as young adults (1 to 1.5 years old), and loved doing it. My first cat, Cardamom, was 5 years old. Adopting from the Humane Society is good, as the cat will be spayed or neutered before you take it home. (In other words, before I could take Don Juan home, he was rendered incapable of BEING a Don Juan. ;) )

I use Premium Choice Flushable cat litter, which comes in an 8-pound jug. Prices at stores around here range from $5.99 to $10.99 :eek:, so it's a good idea to shop around. One jug will supply one litterbox for 1-2 months, depending on how fastidious you are. A little baking soda mixed with the litter really helps with the, ahem, aroma. :p

Don Juan and Zerlina are approaching the end of a 10-pound bag (2 POUNDS FREE!) of Nutro Nature's Choice Indoor Formula, which I bought about two months ago. It usually runs around $12 to $15, but I had a coupon for $2 off, and I can sometimes get more off with my PetSmart Pet Pals card. I don't free feed the kitties, as the vet got on my case about Don Juan's weight (talk about the pot calling the kettle black!), and Zerlina is a, shall we say, enthusiastic eater. Once again, it pays to shop around.

Then, there's catnip, toys, treats, vet visits, kitty grass.... :rolleyes:

Liz

Craftlady
01-18-2006, 01:47 PM

Making sure that the post stays at the top of the list. Bump is a generatic term used in this type of reply.

Average cost for 4 kittys on premium food (Nutro) 20 lb bag last us 2 months at $28 a bag. Average $200 a year. When it's on sale I get a bag inbetween the normal time we would buy. Right now I have 2 (20 lb) bags plus a small bag that was free. Litter we get anywhere from $8 to $10 depending on if it's on sale or not. We go through 28 lbs of litter in about a month for 4 kitties. I'm always buying our litter when it's on sale, so I have a stock supply :)

catnapper
01-18-2006, 01:47 PM
It means that they were way down and nobody was seeing their thread so they put a *bump* to bring it back to the top of the list. Its personally one of my biggest pet peeves on a message board. I always try to say "anybody else have an opinon?" I often bump my threads to the top, but always use a quote from someone else's reply -- its friendlier and encourages more conversation, therefor more replies.

.sarah
01-18-2006, 01:48 PM
Thanks Don Juan's mom! I'm actually hoping to go with Feline Pine for litter, and it sounds like a similar litter to what you're using. I have allergies. Usually dust isn't bad, but I have my days at work where the litter just bothers me, however it doesn't happen often (just when I forget my medicine lol).

It's just a post to bump the thread up to the top of the forum. This one was moved back a few pages where people wouldn't see it and I'd still like replies, so I bumped it.

.sarah
01-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Making sure that the post stays at the top of the list. Bump is a generatic term used in this type of reply.

Average cost for 4 kittys on premium food (Nutro) 20 lb bag last us 2 months at $28 a bag. Average $200 a year. Litter we get anywhere from $8 to $10 depending on if it's on sale or not. We go through 28 lbs of litter in about a month for 4 kitties. I'm always buying our litter when it's on sale, so I have a stock supply :)
Man cat food sure does last a lot longer than dog food ;) I have to buy two new 40 lb bags (different brands) every two months for my girls, and they really don't eat that much. I'll probably go with Natural Balance cat food, since that is my preferred brand.

Thanks for the replies so far! :)

Craftlady
01-18-2006, 01:51 PM
P.S. to my reply above...
Nice you work for a vet and get discounts on meds etc.
I would say that's the biggest expense.
We adopt older kitties usually around 2-4 yrs old average. Cindy was youngest at under a year, she was neighborhood stray so we didnt get her through PetSmart.

heidiv
01-18-2006, 06:12 PM
I have three kitties 2 which are adults and a 9 months old. I change their litter 2 boxes!! (have to make sure that everyone is happy!!) I have to buy a 10lb bag of clay litter every 2 weeks about $7.00 (remember I have 3 kitties) and I am very particular that the litter stays clean. I buy a 10 lb bag of Iams food for all three each month$ 13.00. And of course treats. (They work VERY well to teach them tricks!!$1.00) My cats also love to play with the sparkley pom poms that you can buy in the craft section of any store (Walmart,K-mart ect.$2.99) And for other ideas about toys Milk Rings, an old fishing real with a toy mouse will keep a cat active also. That is the only way I keep my orange kitty from getting to fat. Hes a big eater. Depending on if your kitty is long hair or short haired you will have to get a brush. It helps keep the hair down for allergies. Also I have been thinking about putting insurance on all three of my cats since my 6 yr old himalayan one day started to have seizures and it cost 1,000 dollars down to just get a diagnoses. And a microchip is good for a indoor/outdoor cat also. The love that they give in return is so worth any amount of money I Promise :D ;)

carole
01-18-2006, 06:54 PM
Sarah the fact you work at a vets and get half price cost really is great, owning a kitty is not that expensive initially, the food being the least IMO, but keeping them vaccinated, de-wormed and de-flead is the most expensive and if anything goes wrong, an accident or dental work, or surgery that as you know is where the big cost comes in, in your case it will be minimal, so i would go ahead and work out a budget first and then make your decision, great to see that you are working it all out ahead of time before making an adoption.

An adult cat is a great option, as they don't get adopted so readily and also will not be as lonely as would a kitten, honestly i don't think you will ever regret your decision.

My cats cost me around 70 dollars a year for vaccinations and check up, that is NZ dollars remember, 15.95 a month in flea treatments, about 6 dollars every three months for worm pills, food around five to eight dollars a week sometimes Ten depending on what i buy them and kitty litter around six dollars a month or so. These are just averages and vary from time to time.

Good luck , hope you choose a kitty soon.

shais_mom
01-19-2006, 12:01 AM
Having a dog(s) and cat(s) is a love and a joy like no other. I was never much of a cat person before I adopted my greyhound, Shaianne. She made me much more of an animal person in general. Now I have my heart cat Kylie that I can't imagine life without. I got her in June when she was exactly a year old (2001). The adjustment of her living with a dog took awhile. She was just starting to become comfortable with Shaianne when she passed away. Then I brought home a puppy! My name was MUD for a few weeks. Now they have a bond that is truly special. When I had the pet psychic "talk" to Kylie she didn't even know I had a dog until Keegan started barking when I was on the phone with her - then she was shocked b/c Kylie made no mention of her at all. She said they must live in true harmony! Course Kylie and KLOE are another thread entirely! lol But I digress - I apologize you didn't ask about that stuff you asked about cost...
Having one cat - litter and food will last a lot longer - the litter I reccommend is Tidy Cat Small spaces. Right now I have that mixed with some from PetSmart but seem to get along well with it. I am BLESSED with 2 cats that don't have litter issues - I SUCK at cleaning the box and am not good about doing it every day or even every other day - and they both just go and go!!
:eek:
I agree with you tho getting an adult vs. a kitten as you haven't had a cat before. I have had Kloe since she was about 6 weeks old (and she was a TERROR - heck she still is ! ;) )and she hasn't particulary bonded with me but she is very bonded with Keegan. She much prefers Keegan's company to mine! Funny b/c I actually got her as a companion to Kylie and Kylie hates her! :rolleyes: I told someone the other day I would never be able to rehome Kloe b/c her and Keegan are so bonded.
I have had Kylie since she was a year old (she is now 5 1/2) and she is my heart and my shadow.
I reccommend indoor only b/c I would be the same way - I would freak out everytime I let them out!

Looking forward to seeing your new addition(s)!!!