PDA

View Full Version : Old Man Ripley is sick and angry

jazzcat
01-16-2006, 04:12 PM
Ripley had to go to the vet today because he's been losing weight, acting grumpy and he sprayed my bedroom drapes twice recently.

Turns out he has a bladder infection. He's very angry from having to give a urine specimen the hard way. Poor old man. The vet is a little concerned that he maybe headed towards kidney failure but decided to let the bladder infection clear up first to see if things improve. She said from his urine there was a slight sign of kidney failure. He will be 14 years old on March 2. He's lost a pound since last March and now weighs 14.2 pounds.

We were going to get his vaccinations while we were there even though it would have been 6 weeks early but the vet wanted to wait until he's over the infection. She prescribed an antibiotic and valium (the same as last year when he had this) and said there were no signs of crystals - yay!

Right now he's very angry and is cooling his jets in the cat tree just daring anyone to mess with him. I've already pilled him so the valium should be mellowing him out soon.

Here's a picture of him from a week ago. You can tell he hasn't been feeling the best.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/cat1.jpg

dab_20
01-16-2006, 04:30 PM
Poor Ripley! I hope you feel better big guy!! Good vibes that he doesn't have kidney failure. :( Your such a good boy Ripley, get better!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-16-2006, 04:42 PM
Poor Ripley. :( I'm glad you got him diagnosed instead of just thinking it was behavioral. Tubby was 15 when the vet first diagnosed him with kidney failure, and as you know, he lived to be 18 1/2, so I'm sure once Ripley's infection is cleared up he'll be good to go for quite a few years yet.

Hang in there, Ripley. I'm sure you'll be feeling A-OK in no time! :)

jenluckenbach
01-16-2006, 04:47 PM
You have every right to be angry. Feeling sick is no fun at all. :( Hopefully the medicine will work quickly and you can feel GOOD real soon.

Queen of Poop
01-16-2006, 04:53 PM
Here's hoping Ripley is feeling much better very soon.

Lizzie
01-16-2006, 04:54 PM
Your vet must have noticed that his urine wasn't as concentrated as it should be, and that's why she mentioned early kidney failure. I've learned not to panic when I hear those words since I've had five cats over the past several years with that condition and I only lost one within a year. At one time, I was giving at least three cats sub-q fluids every evening after work. It wasn't fun, but it's amazing what that treatment can do for a cat. Of course, if this does prove necessary for Rusty, given his rather belligerant personality, he may need to be kept on a mild sedative until he gets used to it.

However, here's hoping that it's just another bladder infection.

jazzcat
01-16-2006, 04:59 PM
Your vet must have noticed that his urine wasn't as concentrated as it should be, and that's why she mentioned early kidney failure.

Yes, that was what she said, I couldn't remember her exact words but that it was it. Thank you.

T&P's Mom - the first thing that popped in my mind was what a long and happy life Tubby lived even years after his diagnosis. I didn't panic because of that. (Sending big grins and hugs to Tubby at the Bridge :) ).

Thanks for all the good thoughts everyone.

Felix
01-16-2006, 05:02 PM
Hope your kitty is feeling better again soon.

Laura's Babies
01-16-2006, 05:42 PM
Good thoughts and vibes for Ripley. Hope he bounces right back and shows there is no reason for concern! He is still a handsome boy, even grumpy!

You can give a cat Valium? I might just get some for Amy when she has to travel ANYWHERE by car and the days she is so stressed out. It don't hurt them does it?

catnapper
01-16-2006, 05:46 PM
Poor old boy! I hope its just an infection and NOT a more serious illness with his kidneys.

Just rest and take your meds like a good boy and I'll tell those young 'uns to leave you alone, ok Ripley?

kimlovescats
01-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Poor Ripley, you can really tell in that picture that he wasn't feeling well. I'm glad your vet was able to find out what was wrong, and hope that he'll be feeling much better really soon. Please give him a gentle kiss from me, after his jets have cooled! ;)

Kim

catmandu
01-16-2006, 06:40 PM
I know that when The Moose was under the weather,he was not very pleasant either.
We are praying thae Ripley will feel better soon,we hate to see Our Dear Old Pal not up to par.
All The Found Cat Seniors are sending Special Senior Cat Prayers to Ripley.

jazzcat
01-16-2006, 07:40 PM
? I might just get some for Amy when she has to travel ANYWHERE by car and the days she is so stressed out. It don't hurt them does it?
Laura, they gave Rip Valium last year when he had an infection to help him "chill" and not want to spray in the house anymore. There are three vets at the place I go and all three say it is perfectly safe to give it to cats and is very helpful for stressed and angry cats. The vet today says it's safer than the Prozac they give cats. I didn't know they really gave Prozac to cats, how funny. Anyway, you should inquire about it for Amy. It really helps Ripley relax and he becomes such a laid back happy guy on it. It also helps him to not pull his belly fur out where his bladder is bothering him. Bad meowmie didn't notice he was doing that until this weekend. :o

shais_mom
01-16-2006, 10:08 PM
poor Ripley!
Hugs to the big guy!

Angie
01-16-2006, 10:21 PM
Awwww poor Ripley, I hope he gets to feeling better soon.

captain
01-16-2006, 11:43 PM
Awww - Rip darlin.

{{{gentle hugs}}} to you to get better darlin.

and

{{HUGE HUGS}} to you, Lori

krazyaboutkatz
01-17-2006, 01:14 AM
Poor Ripley. :( I hope he feels better soon and that it's just a simple bladder infection.

Killearn Kitties
01-17-2006, 04:21 AM
The girls have all their paws crossed for their friend Ripley. Feel better soon! :D

auggie
01-17-2006, 06:06 AM
Poor sweet Ripley, I hope you’re feeling better already.
All paws are crossed that there is nothing serious wrong with his kidneys.