PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday girly girl! UPDATE

lv4dogs
01-16-2006, 01:14 PM
UPDATE: I was looking through all my old paperwork the last couple days (begining of the year chore) and came upon Raustyks adoption papers last night.
I have always celebrated Raustyks Birthday 1/16 as that is the day I adopted her, or at least the day the adoption went through but I just realized that I didn't bring her home until the 20th. (yes I am really bad at remembering dates).
Her birthday has officially been changed to today, 1/20! I figure I'd rather celebrate her birthday the day she came home as that is really the day she was adopted.

Happy Birthday again to my sweet Raustyk girl! :p

I am a bad mom but she says she forgives me. :p

Today is Raustyks 8th birthday... or at least her configured birthday. lol I adopted her in early July of 1998 and she finally came home July 16th 1998, she was estimated to be 6 months of age so I figured out her birthday to be 1/16/98.
Sorry this is so long but I felt I should include how she came to be with me.

I feel so special to have this opportunity to be her mommy. At only 6 months of age I was her 5th home already but at least I am her final home! She was abused very badly at some point in time(s) before I adopted her. So bad that she was supposed to be PTS as soon as the court hearings were finished. Something was drawing me towards her, my heart was telling me that she is the one even though my brain was telling me yes put her to sleep. She was not nasty because she had behavioral issues, she was nasty because she was scared. But she was so scared that she was very nasty.
After visiting her daily for a month, the entire time my heart is telling me to go for it, so I folowed my heart, I went for it. Even after a month she would still not allow me to pet her. I was very reluctant that I was making the wrong decision but I knew that if anything happened I could bring her back to the shelter or the vets & have her PTS. I just had to listen to my heart this once.
After a long battle with the courts & the humane society I was finally choosen to be her mom. There were of course reasons as to why I was allowed to adopt her & exceptions as to how I was to go about continuing to be her mom.
Because of my experience and only because of it was I allowed to fight the courts. At the time I was working for a vets office, I was also volunteering my time at the shelter she was at, I also was assisting 2 different area trainers, one for obedience & one for agility. And with the help of another co-worker at the time we also had our own pet behavioral help line through the vets office.
I was to sign contracts with the court stating that we had to complete & graduate at least 3 training sessions and had to complete the advaced class, which ment we could only fail one class. Luckily she passed all with flying colors. We were also to have the vet send statements on her progress once a year and the shelter had to evaluate her progress as well every 6 months for the first 3 years.
The first time I petted her is the day she was going home with me and I almost lost my face to her. The shelter dropped her off at the vets office that I worked at (since we took care of all the shelters animals) that morning so she could be spayed (a rule before I could adopt her). I brought her back & put her in a cage where she seemed like she wanted to be petted. I reached my habd in & gave her a few short strokes which she seemed to enjoy. Without warning she snapped & snapped hard. I had the kennel door all ready to slam shut & thank god I was on guard. If I was 3 seconds slower I would not have the right side of my face today.
My heart was still telling me to do through with it, which was VERY unlike me. Usually I would be all for putting to sleep an animal with a behavior like that.
It took 2 vets, 4 techs, 2 receptionists & 2 catch poles (lead on a pole like used in turner & hooch) to get her out of the cage when her time came for surgery. We spayed her, put her back in a cage and waited for 5:00. Well 5:00 came & she was a little better already. She willingly let me pet her, no growls, no curled lip, she even gave a little nub wag. I took her out of the crate talking to her on the way to my car, saying how I am her last home, her forever home under one circumstance that she starts showing some love. We got to my car & I put her in the back seat. I stood outside my car for a good 15 minutes debating on if this was the right thing to do. All I could think of is she would become aggressive again & lunge into the front seat as I am driving & will attack me. My heart kept telling me everything will be ok. So in I went. I shut the door & all of a sudden I was terrified, she lunged halfway into the front seat with full force. But all she had for me was major tail & butt wags & a tongue bath! It was such a drastic change. I honestly believe that she knew that I am the one, that she has found her forever home as long as she showed some love. I think she knew that I had to drive by the shelter to go home & that I would of dropped her off there to be PTS if she didn't work out.

All she needed was a little stability, some love & understanding. She really is a great dog & I am so lucky to live my life with this beautiful girl.

Happy Birthday sweetie!

I tried to get some good pics but all she wants to do today is sleep. lol

This was this morning, I was singing happy birthday to her, she didn't even want to get off of "her bed". lol
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/nanryk/100_1067.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/nanryk/100_1069.jpg

Now here at work with me:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/nanryk/100_1073.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/nanryk/100_1076.jpg

This is what she thinks of getting older:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/nanryk/100_1077.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/nanryk/100_1078.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/nanryk/100_1080.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/nanryk/100_1081.jpg

luvofallhorses
01-16-2006, 01:23 PM
Sue,

that was such a beautiful story. I am glad this pretty girl came to live with you. :) Happy birthday to a beautiful girl and one of my favorite pt doggies. I know for a fact you will have a awesome day today! :D

gemini9961
01-16-2006, 01:27 PM
Aw Sue that is a great story and thank you for being so good to her and taking her in. Happy Birthday sweet girl!! :D

JenBKR
01-16-2006, 01:29 PM
What an incredible story, and what a lucky girl she is to have been saved by such a wonderful person. Have a wonderful birthday sweet girl!

.sarah
01-16-2006, 01:35 PM
What a neat story! Happy birthday sweetie!

petslover
01-16-2006, 01:42 PM
oh wow Raustyk, you sure have a great human mom to go through so much trouble to save your life. You are one lucky pup. I always enjoy seeing pictures of you. It doesn't matter what you are doing in your pictures you always make me smile. You are too cute!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RAUSTYK!!!

Jadapit
01-16-2006, 01:44 PM
What an amazing story! You two were meant to be together. :D Happy Birthday Raustyk. She is really beautiful Sue. :)

Tollers-n-Dobes
01-16-2006, 01:50 PM
Happy Birthday, Raustyk!

sammy101
01-16-2006, 01:52 PM
Happy Birthday Raustyk! :)

Daisy and Delilah
01-16-2006, 02:30 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEET RAUSTYK!!
What a wonderful story Sue for such a sweet, beautiful girl. Have a fabulous day doll face!

Husky_mom
01-16-2006, 03:22 PM
from july 99 take six months and its jan 99 not 98, but i dont know you calculations.

Happy Birthday Girl!!! i love when you do raspberries!!! LOL

lv4dogs
01-16-2006, 03:23 PM
from july 99 take six months and its jan 99 not 98, but i dont know you calculations.

Happy Birthday Girl!!! i love when you do raspberries!!! LOL

Oops, I brought her home in 98! It is correct except the 99's. lol

Pembroke_Corgi
01-16-2006, 03:24 PM
Happy birthday, Raustyk! That is such an amazing story. I'm glad she's got a great home, and I'm sure she'll have a wonderful birthday. :)

k9krazee
01-16-2006, 06:05 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEAUTIFUL!!!
What an amazing story for a very lucky girl!

Kfamr
01-16-2006, 06:08 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to one of my most favorite PT Girls. I hope you had a wonderful day sweetheart!

cyber-sibes
01-16-2006, 06:54 PM
*tears* what a wonderful story! You two were definitly meant to be together!
:D HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY, YOU BIG BEAUTIFUL ROTTIE-GIRL! :D

KYS
01-16-2006, 06:56 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
:)

chocolatepuppy
01-16-2006, 09:15 PM
Happy Birthday Raustyk! :D

Jamieejo85
01-16-2006, 09:17 PM
Happy Birthday beautiful girl!!!!

sandragonfly
01-17-2006, 12:08 AM
oh dear, owe you some happy belate birrrdiee hugs raustyk!! (would you let me??) ;) sweetie, you deserve to sleep all you want, let many eyes stick on you!

sue, I meant to mention, I read that story somewhere else the other night and made me cry.. heartbreaking with happy ending! you're one of amazing person so is she too! god knew which person to send which dog, I'm grateful both of you found each other!

HOPPY, HAPPY MANNY MOOO-RE DEARIE! :D :D

lv4dogs
01-17-2006, 08:02 AM
Raustyk thanks everyone for the warm birthday wishes! We had a good day, filled with lots of love, treats & her favorite... sleep! lol
She got a real special dinner, (they all did) a couple cans of Merrick dog food. Followed by a short walk in the evening as it was very cold, in the single digits. Then we snuggled on the couch & watched some tv.
I'm hoping this weekend will be nicer so we can go on a nice birthday hike (& probably a trip to the pet store). lol

Ginger's Mom
01-17-2006, 09:50 AM
Happy Birthday, Raustyk!!!
I know I am a little late but I could not ignore such a special girl's birthday. I had no idea of her history. How lucky for both of you that she was bought to your kennel, Sue. I am sure it was a very special day.

lv4dogs
01-20-2006, 09:02 AM
bumping this up because I made a boo boo. lol :p

.sarah
01-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Well happy birthday again! Cool ... you got two birthdays this year!

pitc9
01-20-2006, 09:23 AM
Oh MY what a story!! :eek:
Glad you went with your heart!
Happy Happy Burfday to a special girl!

RobiLee
01-20-2006, 09:45 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RAUSTYK!!

k9krazee
01-20-2006, 02:08 PM
Happy Birthday again Raustyk!! :D :D