PDA

View Full Version : Kaige to be in an audition for a commercial. Ideas needed!

lv4dogs
01-16-2006, 12:15 PM
There is a contest being held 1/28/06 for a local pet store (actually they have multiple locations). They are looking for cute pets for their next commercial.

They can just be cute, or know how to do cute or astounding or stupid tricks. Or just pets that are dressed up or pets that just have the looks.

I know Kaige is cute ( :p ) but I think he'd have more of a chance if he knew a cool trick.
I was thinking of teaching him the hold an object in his mouth trick. Do you think that can be taught in 2 weeks time?
Or any other ideas?

Husky_mom
01-16-2006, 12:31 PM
what is the commercial about?? the store?? some items related?? maybe you can get a better shot if yo had an idea what they have in mind, but Kaige is such a looker, he only needs to snooze for a trick LOL, but he is indeed soooo cute heŽll do great I KNOW, WE KNOW......

what does kaige already know how to do??

gemini9961
01-16-2006, 12:33 PM
I just want to wish you and Kaige good luck. I know you will come up with something great. Can he just sit there and look cute? :D

lv4dogs
01-16-2006, 12:37 PM
what is the commercial about?? the store?? some items related?? maybe you can get a better shot if yo had an idea what they have in mind, but Kaige is such a looker, he only needs to snooze for a trick LOL, but he is indeed soooo cute heŽll do great I KNOW, WE KNOW......

what does kaige already know how to do??

It would be a TV commercial that just advertises the store.

Currently Kaige knows all the obedience commands (sit, down, stay, wait, heal, finish, flip, come, downs & sits out of motion, etc....)
As for tricks he only knows a few:
Shake (with what ever paw you want, left or right)
Spin (which is where he gets up on his back feet & spins in a circle)
Roll Over

lv4dogs
01-16-2006, 12:38 PM
I just want to wish you and Kaige good luck. I know you will come up with something great. Can he just sit there and look cute? :D

Yes, they can just sit there & look cute but I figure his chances will be better if he knows a neat trick too. lol

Husky_mom
01-16-2006, 12:45 PM
my guess would be the spin, as if hes too happy to be there. and maybe the flip also and heŽll look so very cute

Chelsea&Doodles
01-16-2006, 12:47 PM
I think the tricks he knows are pretty neat. lol Maybe you could do a search on google for some cool tricks? Good luck! Kaige is a cutie and will melt their hearts away!!!

petslover
01-16-2006, 02:13 PM
That is soo neat. Well I know Kaige does not need to practice being cute because he is cuteness overload. I am sure he will do great in his audition. Good Luck.

Kfamr
01-16-2006, 02:16 PM
Maybe teach him "wave" .. Everyone LOVES when Kiara does that one and I have to admit, I am biased but, it is pretty darn cute.

Daisy and Delilah
01-16-2006, 02:17 PM
Kaige has already won the award for everything as far as I'm concerned. He's such a gorgeous example of his breed Sue. I think he could easily learn a cool trick in two weeks. Good luck to both of you! :D

poofy
01-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Yes the wave, it gets evey one..people just fall out when Sammyj does his wave ..lol..they will love it with a bit of a spin..oh wow :)

lv4dogs
01-16-2006, 02:58 PM
How do you teach them how to wave?
I imagine it is similar to shake? He already knows shake, but he doesn't lift his paws up far enough for it to be considered a wave.

i_love_nicki
01-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Good luck to Kaige, he is so cute and I think he is sure to win!

i_love_nicki
01-16-2006, 03:05 PM
TRICK LIST

Wave: Lift paw up and say WAVE

Beg: Tell Kaige to sit and then lift up the treat over his head, when he gets in the Beg postition say 'BEG or SIT UP' If this does not work, when the dog is sitting, lift the paws up on your arms and say 'BEG or SIT UP'

Play Dead: Have dog lie down and put treat over head so the dog is on his side, and say 'DEAD or PLAY DEAD or BOOM or SHOT'

Pembroke_Corgi
01-16-2006, 03:31 PM
Another trick that I like is "crawl." Marta knows this, it's pretty easy once they know "down."
Wave would definately be cute, they could even include it at the end of the commercial or something. I think that might be your best choice, who can resist a cute dog waving goodbye? I'm sure he could learn it within two weeks if he already knows shake, he seems like a smart little guy.

Kfamr
01-16-2006, 03:35 PM
I taught Ki to wave derived from her "high five", I'd just hold my hand farther away than I would for a five and moved it like I was waving at her.

lv4dogs
01-16-2006, 03:37 PM
I taught Ki to wave derived from her "high five", I'd just hold my hand farther away than I would for a five and moved it like I was waving at her.

That sounds good, maybe I can get Kaige to give high five, then move it to a wave.

Maybe I'll try to teach him a few new tricks and see what ones he does best. Maybe they can let me addition him with multiple tricks instead of just one? I hope so.

Kfamr
01-16-2006, 03:40 PM
Does he know bow? That's another one that always woos people and it's pretty easy to teach.

lv4dogs
01-16-2006, 03:41 PM
Does he know bow? That's another one that always woos people and it's pretty easy to teach.

Yup, he does know that one. I forgot about it. I haven't made him do it in a couple weeks but he should remember, or remember with only a little training. lol

binka_nugget
01-16-2006, 03:41 PM
How about having him hold a leash in his mouth (while it's attached to his collar)? Or better yet, maybe hold the leash while waving? It'll look like he's asking for a walk. :p

RobiLee
01-16-2006, 04:00 PM
No ideas here. Just want to wish ya lots of luck!! :)

lv4dogs
01-17-2006, 12:42 PM
well he remembers how to bow but did forget how to do it when I give him the command from a distance. We will work on that one.

The wave thing isn't going very good, at least not yet. He seems to be very confused I think because it is so similar to shake. :confused:

I started to teach him how to hold objects in his mouth. Its going pretty good so far.... except for food anyways, he is the biggest pig ever. lol He just wants to gobble everything right up.

Anita Cholaine
01-17-2006, 12:56 PM
Just coming here to wish you good luck! :D I don't have any ideas, sorry... :o

lv4dogs
01-24-2006, 03:26 PM
Kaige is not doing so hot at learning tricks. He learns commands fast but takes his time with tricks apparently. lol
It seems as if he's in too much of a hurry, he gets them half a**ed.

He is a HUGE food hog and I think thats part of his problem. He knows he won't get a treat unless he gets it right but he still seems to be in too much of a hurry to get that treat.
I've tried using his toys as a reward but then he's not as interested and takes his sweet old time. I can use toys for rewards as long as the action is fast paced & involves more of a walking/running type movement like healing, jumping etc...

Slowly but surely we are working on it.

We may just be there mainly for the looks & obedience commands. lol

k9krazee
01-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Hmmm...when are the auditions again (well, der, I guess I can look on the first page :o ) The judges won't be able to resist him, hes such a hunk :D And I'm sure they'll be impressed no matter what you do with him, hes so young still and such a smartie. :D

What have you been trying to teach him? I know that Jack is extremely food motivated and out of the three (holding something, bowing or waving) getting him to hold something was the easiest. There isn't really a way that he can rush it, it might teach him a little patience too ;) But Jack is the same way, if I try to use a toy as a reward only he will not try very hard and is very lazy about everything but as soon as I get some food..poof..whole different dog, lol. Good luck to you and Kaige and make sure you let us know how the auditions go!!

Ginger's Mom
01-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Good luck, Kaige, we know you can do it! :) I think bow would be very cute.

Pembroke_Corgi
01-24-2006, 06:04 PM
Kaige is not doing so hot at learning tricks. He learns commands fast but takes his time with tricks apparently. lol
It seems as if he's in too much of a hurry, he gets them half a**ed.

He is a HUGE food hog and I think thats part of his problem. He knows he won't get a treat unless he gets it right but he still seems to be in too much of a hurry to get that treat.
I've tried using his toys as a reward but then he's not as interested and takes his sweet old time. I can use toys for rewards as long as the action is fast paced & involves more of a walking/running type movement like healing, jumping etc...

Slowly but surely we are working on it.

We may just be there mainly for the looks & obedience commands. lol
Will he work for praise? Adele gets very distracted by food too and sometimes (if she's in a fun mood) she works better for lots & lots of praise.

cyber-sibes
01-24-2006, 09:32 PM
He's so darn cute and good-lookin, he just has to be his charming self! Good luck!

cloverfdx
01-24-2006, 09:58 PM
Goodluck to you and Kaige :D.

lv4dogs
01-25-2006, 08:24 AM
Hmmm...when are the auditions again

The judges won't be able to resist him, hes such a hunk :D And I'm sure they'll be impressed no matter what you do with him, hes so young still and such a smartie. :D

What have you been trying to teach him?

The auditions are this Sat, 1/28.

I hope his cuteness wins them over. lol He would do great if they need him to sit/down/stay etc... any obedience command he knows well.

I have been trying to teach him (not all at once though)
bow from a distance (he knows how to do it if I am right there)
wave (he knows shake but isn't getting the wave part)
holding items in his mouth (he holds them for a while but will often drop them before I tell him to)

Will he work for praise?
Yes he will but the results are the same as if I use a toy for rewards. It really only works if it is for a fast paced action.

I know a lot of this will get better as he matures & gets neutered. He is trying but gets distracted easily sometimes, other times his attention span is just not that long and sometimes he is just way too excited.
I think his behavior is probably "about" normal for his breed/age.

We are not giving up though. :D

beeniesmom
01-25-2006, 12:26 PM
Good Luck on Saturday!
Whatever the outcome WE love you Kaige!

Jessika
01-25-2006, 12:31 PM
Have you tried clicker training? Jamie is very food motivated as well, TOO food motivated. As soon as I bring the treats out,that's all her mind is on and she won't listen to anything else :rolleyes: So I've looked into clicker training her instead. So far, so good anyway! I've just been working on "charging the clicker" though this week ;)

lv4dogs
01-25-2006, 12:35 PM
Have you tried clicker training? Jamie is very food motivated as well, TOO food motivated. As soon as I bring the treats out,that's all her mind is on and she won't listen to anything else :rolleyes: So I've looked into clicker training her instead. So far, so good anyway! I've just been working on "charging the clicker" though this week ;)

Yes I have thought about it but no matter how much I like the possible outcome I just can't stand clickers. Just a personal preference though. I'm glad it is working for you. :D

Jessika
01-25-2006, 12:36 PM
Working where I do, I'm surprised I haven't become annoyed with them yet! Kids come in and see them as toys and will walk around the store clicking them. :rolleyes: Those, and the darned squeaky toys! And not just kids, either, everyone lol

.sarah
01-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Yes I have thought about it but no matter how much I like the possible outcome I just can't stand clickers. Just a personal preference though. I'm glad it is working for you. :D
I'm the same way. I can't stand the noise over and over and over again!

Working where I do, I'm surprised I haven't become annoyed with them yet! Kids come in and see them as toys and will walk around the store clicking them. :rolleyes: Those, and the darned squeaky toys! And not just kids, either, everyone lol
Well duh, you have to test the product before you buy! I squeak the toys because I try to find the one with the most unusual noises since it really gets the dogs going. :p

lv4dogs
01-25-2006, 12:43 PM
Those, and the darned squeaky toys! And not just kids, either, everyone lol

I am guilty of that one. ;) Of course I have to test the product before I buy. lol :D :p

Jessika
01-25-2006, 01:13 PM
Testing the product is fine, I do that too, but they will walk around the ENTIRE STORE doing it, up until they get in line to check out! lol

lv4dogs
01-25-2006, 01:22 PM
Testing the product is fine, I do that too, but they will walk around the ENTIRE STORE doing it, up until they get in line to check out! lol

Ok still guilty here. (hides face)
If it's not me thats squeaking it through the store it's Kaige. lol :p

Husky_mom
01-25-2006, 01:35 PM
hey!! maybe you can get him to look cute (not hard at all) and squeak a toy like crazy (another thing not hard to do) ;) squeak.....squeak......squeak......squeak........s queak.........squeak.......

Jessika
01-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Ok still guilty here. (hides face)
If it's not me thats squeaking it through the store it's Kaige. lol :p

Well if you came into my store while I was working I'd make an exception for you :P

It's ok, you learn to tune it out after a few weeks/months!

sandragonfly
01-25-2006, 02:32 PM
hmm, I think wave will be a good one! maybe if you could have your head more higher over his face, have his paw reach higher, that way he may wave better. maybe try that, I've noticed crayola waving if he couldn't keep that high lol. but doesn't follow commands well if I bend, lower my body a bit - for any trainings you should never bend your body. I always forget that...:rolleyes: just because I want to hug him so badly! ;) :p

anyway, good luck and I hope our kaige will get in!

K9karen
01-25-2006, 11:03 PM
Gaawd! You guys are amazing teaching your dogs all those tricks. I'm desperately trying to teach Logan "High 5" and shake but she despises anyone or thing touching her princess paws :rolleyes:
She's pretty decent with general obedience, very eager to please. And as much as I love her with all my heart, I think Kaige is magnificent. If I was judging, he'd win by looks alone. I just want to kiss the dickens out of him. I love all your dogs, but "something" about Kaige just pierced my heart. Good luck! I'll be thinking about you on Saturday!