PDA

View Full Version : Luna just had a horrible time at the vet's

Kirsten
01-16-2006, 10:53 AM
Due to her bad bladder infections (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=1384271#post1384271) lately, I decided to have a complete check up for Luna, which is also including blood work. So we had to take blood from her today.

Turned out that she wasn't a good girl at all today; she hissed and acted aggressive, so it was impossible to get blood from her. So my vet suggested to slightly sedate her. I don't like that at all, but what other choice did I have?

They gave her not enough to completely fall asleep, only to calm her down. I waited with Luna in a back room for her to get sleepy, but instead, she got nauseaus. In fact, it must have been so bad that she started whining. She threw up twice - in her carrier. It was absolutely horrible! :( The vet looked after her and her assistant gave me paper towels to clean up the mess as good as possible, and they said it was a normal reaction as the blood circulation was going down.

10 minutes later, we tried again to take blood. Even though Luna was dizzy and tired, she growled and didn't like it at all, and we had to hold her with a towel. But this time it worked fine.

Now we're back home, and Luna is still dizzy and has problems walking. She doesn't look happy at all! I hope the sedative will be out of her system soon!

I have to wait till Wednesday before I get the results of the blood test, and I'm really nervous and worried. I don't know why, but I really fear they find something bad. Maybe I'm just overreacting, I don't know... :(

Please keep Luna in your thoughts.

Kirsten

jenluckenbach
01-16-2006, 10:58 AM
Certain vet procedures, especialy drawing blood, can be so stressful for some cats. I am so sorry Luna was such a nervoud wreck. :( :( But since it is important to know, you did the best thing for her. Hope the results come pack with good news.

Sonia59
01-16-2006, 11:07 AM
Poor Luna, she was so stressed! :( She is in my toughts, I am sure the blood test will be good ;)
Hugs

Kirsten
01-16-2006, 11:21 AM
Thank you! :)

The poor girl is still so dizzy, and at the top of it, she's having loose stool since two or three days. I think it's because she's on another antibiotic this time, amoxicyllin. Well, since Luna is always pooping outside her box, you can imagine this is not a pleasant thing. A few minutes ago, she just pooped again on the laminate in the hall.

I bought Hill's i/d at the vet and I hope it will help her to calm her bowels down.

Kirsten

Laura's Babies
01-16-2006, 11:27 AM
Gee Kristen, now you got me worried more than I already was. Poor Luna, had such a hard time at the vets and threw up too? Poor baby! My heart goes out to her for what she is going through. Please keep us posted throughout the day.

krazyaboutkatz
01-16-2006, 11:32 AM
Kirsten, I'm so sorry to hear that Luna had such a hard time at the vets. :( I hope that the blood test results will be normal and that she'll start feeling better very soon. Please take care and continue to update us about her.

Kirsten
01-16-2006, 11:35 AM
and threw up too?

Yes, but she always does from anaesthesia. :(

I hope that the blood test results will be normal and that she'll start feeling better very soon.

I will post about the test results as soon as I have them. And I'm sure she'll be better in a couple of hours. But right now, she's still very dizzy.

Kirsten

sasvermont
01-16-2006, 12:14 PM
Kirsten, just a thought but maybe the vet can give you a pill to give to Luna before she gets there, to keep her calm.

Fortunately, Miley is very good at the vet and lets them do whatever they want to, to her. I dread the day that Juni or Chloe must have blood taken. They are good for the vet during their annual visit, so maybe they would be good for blood draws as well.

I hope the tests come back clean as a whistle, and then you must keep trying to figure out what is going on.

My vet gave Miley Flagl for her stool problem and it is helping. It is not an antibiotic but rather a drug that brings the flora balance in the digestive/colon track back to a normal state.

Keep us posted.

SAS

catnapper
01-16-2006, 12:18 PM
Oh no! I can imagine how upset you'd be! I'd be in tears to see any of my guys react like that. I really hope that the fuss was all worth it and they find out once and for all what is wrong with Luna. I'd hate to see Luna all sick and upset over a test to have the test reveal nothing new.

Randi
01-16-2006, 12:23 PM
Oh no, what an ordeal! Poor Luna! :( I hope the bloodtest will show what's wrong with her and you're able to deal with it. Hopefully she will just need a medication for a while and be all back to normal. :)

Kisses for Luna girl and hugs to you.

catmandu
01-16-2006, 12:55 PM
A Clowder of Cat Angels is taking a 737 to visit Luna,and see that shes All Right,after her White Coat Experience.
We are sorry that she had such a Rough Time of it at her Vets,and that she will be Healthy very soon.

Catty1
01-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Poor Luna! And poor you!

I would guess that the sedative is a mild form of anesthetic? So her reactions would be the same.

My cats love plain no fat yogurt...they just get a bit as a treat. But maybe, like in humans, some would counter the effects of the antibiotic. Worth a try.

Keeping fingers crossed for Luna!

hugs!

Logan
01-16-2006, 01:30 PM
Kirsten, I shuddered at the thought of them ever trying to take blood from Butter while he was awake! :eek:

I do hope they can pinpoint poor Luna's problem and get it under control so that both of you can relax.

Logan

kimlovescats
01-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Oh Kirsten, I'm so sorry that you and Luna had to go through this! I know all about the "relaxing" shot .... the same thing happened when my Tucker was PTS. I had asked that they give him something to relax him first, so I could see him comfortable before the final injection. Well, like Luna, he began vomiting, and that upset me TERRIBLY!!!! :( :( :( Here I wanted to see my baby at ease before the final minute, and instead he was suffering ... I felt like such a bad mommy!!!! That is why I did not have the same thing done for April the other day, instead I just said my goodbye and left. :(

I hope and pray that Luna's test results are conclusive so that you know how to help her, but nothing serious at the same time! ;)

(((hugs)))
Kim

Kirsten
01-16-2006, 02:02 PM
Thank you everyone! Meanwhile, Luna is feeling a bit better, she even asked for treats and ate a bit. But her pupils are still wide, I guess that's from the drug...

And she was just VERY upset when I gave her her pill - and usually she's such a good girl with pills. But it seems today, she's just having enough.

It is not an antibiotic but rather a drug that brings the flora balance in the digestive/colon track back to a normal state.

That sounds like a good idea (same goes for yoghurt, which Catty1 has suggested). Luna has been through so many antibiotic treatments lately that it's very likely that the flora balance is totally messed up!

I would guess that the sedative is a mild form of anesthetic? So her reactions would be the same.

Yes, it was (I think). And Luna always vomits from anaesthetics! :(

I had asked that they give him something to relax him first, so I could see him comfortable before the final injection. Well, like Luna, he began vomiting, and that upset me TERRIBLY!!!! Here I wanted to see my baby at ease before the final minute, and instead he was suffering ...

Oh Kim, this is just awful, I'm so sorry you and Tucker had to go through this!! (((HUGS))) I would have felt so bad, too. But you did it with the best intentions and you thought it would help him. You're not a bad mommy, and Tucker knows that!

Kirsten

Kirsten
01-16-2006, 02:21 PM
she even asked for treats and ate a bit.

Oops, just saw that maybe this wasn't such a good idea at all! She has thrown up twice on the living room carpet!

And now she's acting hungry again; is rubbing my legs and follows me to the kitchenn. I will try some Hill's i/d later, maybe she can tolerate that better!

Kirsten