PDA

View Full Version : What???Explain this????

Corinna
01-15-2006, 09:02 PM
Yappy Passion

Clear Lake woman breeds Chihuahuas, helps rescue needy pups

S t o r y by B E V E R LY C R I C H F I E L D p h o t o s by S C O T T T E R R E L L S k a g i t Va l l ey H e r a l d

CLEAR LAKE — Never has there been so much doggone excitement about Chihuahuas. Celebrity millionaire Paris Hilton turned the tiny tremblers into a fashion statement several years ago with the purchase of her dog, Tinkerbell. Before that, the famous Taco Bell commercial featuring a Chihuahua whispering “Yo quiero Taco Bell,” catapulted the tiny dog to its status as one of the top 10 most popular breeds in the United States.
And recently, the Chihuahua has grabbed headlines as a perky, rough-and-tumble attack dog after newspaper reports described a vicious “pack” of them swarming and biting a police officer in Fremont, Calif., just after Christmas.
Chihuahua breeder and rescuer Gloria Hurst says the dogs have become more popular in recent years as lovable, portable “urban” pets.
Of course, Hurst has been well ahead of the Chihuahua craze. She’s been breeding the dogs for about 10 years and runs a rescue service out of her home, affiliated with the nonprofit statewide Chihuahua Rescue and Referral, based in Fall City, Wash.
Hurst considers rescuing dogs part of her responsibility as a breeder. So she’s made sure she’s available for those little guys who are abandoned or whose owners can’t care for them anymore.
Sitting back on a padded bench in her Clear Lake home, Hurst said she’s loved the little breed since she first began babysitting her mother’s and grandmother’s chihuahuas as a child.
The dogs are feisty, no doubt, she said.
But attack dogs? She hardly imagines that her fun-loving French-E-Kiss or Little Lulu would ravage anyone. While Chihuahuas are known for being aggressive toward other dogs, they’re usually friendly with people.
“A pack?” she sputtered considering the Christmas incident, waving her hand dismissively in the air as she watched a litter of six 9-week-old Chihuahua puppies romp in a plastic baby pen in the living room of her Clear Lake home. “There were five. He’s a police officer. They didn’t even bite him. He went to work the next day.”
Hurst’s longtime friend and fellow Chihuahua enthusiast Mary Mulrooney snorted as she questioned the authenticity of the incident.
“What kind of a policeman is he to admit he’d been attacked by Chihuahuas?” Mulrooney said, rolling her eyes and affectionately cuddling her 2-year-old smooth coat, Bronson.
The black and brown dog nuzzled up to her closely, whining with excitement at the prospect of playing with the 18 other Chihuahua adults that raced around Hurst’s kitchen and dining room.
Bronson is an only child, after all, and gets a little lonely, Mulrooney explained. Most Chihuahua owners adopt their dogs in pairs, she said.
“They’re like potato chips,” she said with a snicker. “You can’t just have one.”
Mulrooney is just one of the Chihuahua owners who visits Hurst’s home in Clear Lake once a month to discuss the ins and outs of the breed.
Hurst organized the meetings two years ago as a way for Chihuahua and other small-breed dog lovers to exchange information and make friends.
She usually invites between 10 and 50 Chihuahua owners from as far away as Tacoma and Canada to her home to participate in dog costume contests, barbecues and lunches.
“People really hate meetings, so I try not to make them regular meetings,” Hurst said with a laugh. “They come for the fun aspect of it.”
Not much about Hurst’s life doesn’t involve Chihuahuas — she’s known to folks around town as the “Chihuahua lady.” She runs her own business, Gloryland Chihuahua Kennel.
A quick tour through her house — complete with a bevy of multicolored dogs trailing along and bouncing up and down like pop corn in a bag — reveals walls lined with Chihuahua paintings, a mantelpiece decorated with plates painted with Chihuahuas, Chihuahua figurines and spotless dog carriers stacked here and there.
“I don’t do much without thinking about my babies,” she said.
She said she’s seen more of a demand in recent years for the breed that some critics liken to nervous rats. In fact, the American Kennel Club ranked the breed 10th most popular for 2004 — the latest figures available.
More people are living in small apartments nowadays and can’t keep bigger dogs, Hurst said. Chihuahuas also are relatively low-maintenance, she added.
Friend Rhonda Scott of Mount Vernon had to agree. Scott was willing to fork out $1,200 for her first pure-bred show Chihuahua, which she says has been a lovable companion.
“I just don’t think that bigger dogs are as in tune with you,” she said, petting Bronson affectionately. “And they’re so mischievous. They’re fun.”
Like Scott, Hurst said she was most attracted to the Chihuahua’s lovable loyalty.
She didn’t purchase her first Chihuahua until she was 28 years old and didn’t begin her official Chihuahua-breeding career until she was in her 50s. She had spent years researching the breed and finally found a suitable pair in Spokane.
She paid $2,000 for the dogs — yes, the little guys are expensive — and almost lost the female when she wriggled out of her collar and escaped to run next to the freeway. Hurst still bursts out laughing when she remembers how she and her sister rushed along the freeway after the wayward pooch. “It was 105 degree heat, and there were two fat gals running up and down the freeway trying to catch this dog,” she giggled. Luckily, they hemmed her in and brought her back home, where she was bred the next day, Hurst said. As the puppies kept coming, Hurst realized that taking care of the lovable pups is a full-time job — and not cheap.
Every few hours, Hurst cleans out the pens, feeds the dogs and exercises them. She has set up heated pens in her basement to keep the puppies warm and fenced her large yard. She sets aside one or two days at the beginning of each month to clip their nails.
Then there’s the trips to the vets, the shopping and finding potential owners for the dogs.
While researching Chihuahuas on the Internet, Hurst met a woman with the statewide nonprofit Chihuahua Rescue and Referral, and decided to start her own local rescue service.
Some of the dogs she’s rescued come from veterinarians, others from people who no longer want to keep their Chihuahuas. Many come from homes with elderly owners who have to be moved to a nursing home.
For the past eight years, Hurst has coordinated a local Chihuahua Festival and fundraising event at her home. The last one attracted about 300 people and raised about $3,000.
Walking toward the puppy pen, Hurst reached out to pet a particularly feisty 9-week-old. She was busy working on finding suitable homes for 12 puppies — more than she usually has at one time.
Potential pup parents are screened thoroughly before Hurst will part with a Chihuahua baby, she said.
None go to homes with children younger than 6 or homes with many children, she said. Chihuahuas aren’t well suited for young children, she said.
The new owner has to sign a contract agreeing to have the pup spayed or neutered, and to bring the dog back to Hurst if it is no longer wanted. She also tries to educate potential dog owners about some of the particulars of the breed. For instance, Chihuahuas are prone to having knee problems, suffering from collapsing tracheas and eye problems.
“If someone comes to purchase a puppy, they have to agree to make a 15-year commitment,” she said, while Mulrooney nodded slowly.
Hurst charges about $450 for the males and $600 for females. Rescued dogs cost about $125, which goes to help pay for their upkeep, she said.
While Hurst says she is definitely the dog “mom” of the household, husband Bill also has become invaluable as a helper, even delivering some of the puppies.
Bill only smiles as he holds the nervous long-haired French-E-Kiss.
“It makes her happy,” he says, shaking his head.
Beverly Crichfield can be reached at 360-416-2135 or by e-mail at [email protected].

What ???

Corinna
01-16-2006, 02:53 PM
What is this 2 days and no one has an opinion of this lady ? Wow what has happened to pet talk.

Jessika
01-16-2006, 02:56 PM
In my experiences with Chihuahua's they are aggressive and I COULD see a "pack" of them "attacking" someone if provoked. But ANY dog breed it prone to that, not just chihuahua's

i_love_nicki
01-16-2006, 02:58 PM
:rolleyes: People like these... they really get on my nerves.

Dixie Belle
01-16-2006, 03:11 PM
Okay, there is a Chihuahua in my family. My husband bought him for his grandfather as a comfort before his grandfather died. His name is Skeeter. Now Skeeter is not a big fan of people. He will bark and bark at strangers. But he is truely a chicken in a dogs body. At the same time, he does NOT like my three-year-old brother-in-law, and has bit him several times. (The 3 yr. old parents let him pick on the Skeeter. My son Austin, 2 yrs. old is loved by Skeeter. But Austin is not allowed to pick on Skeeter either.)

My point, Chihuahua's act big and bad, but I've never heard of one biting. This is just insane.

lv4dogs
01-16-2006, 03:11 PM
I don't have a working comp at home so I missed it over the weekend & am too busy to read it today. I will tomorrow though. ;)

.sarah
01-16-2006, 03:16 PM
My point, Chihuahua's act big and bad, but I've never heard of one biting. This is just insane.
I know more biting Chihuahuas than I do nice ones. Granted, they're probably from BYBs and/or have owners who won't train them. I think the BYBs have kind of done this breed in. They are more of an accessory to a lot of people and so they don't care about where they come from and think they don't need training. Well-bred Chihuahuas are good dogs. I know of two Chis that I trust fully (except if I break out the nail clippers ;)) but they came from reputable breeders and have educated owners.

Corinna
01-16-2006, 03:25 PM
ok this is what I had in mind . She runs a rescue but still breeds the little guys. Please !!! :eek: I know of this lady from when I lived in Clear lake , she is like cat collectors. Even my mom read this article and came unglued (takes a lot ) . Had to call me and If I had read the articale .

Allecto
01-16-2006, 03:26 PM
Big dogs aren't as in tune with their owners? :mad: This is coming from a lady who sounds like she is totally out of 'tune' with her own preferred breed! :rolleyes:

.sarah
01-16-2006, 03:29 PM
ok this is what I had in mind . She runs a rescue but still breeds the like guys. Please !!! :eek: I know of this lady from when I lived in Clear lake , she is like cat collectors. Even my mom read this article and came unglued (takes a lot ) . Had to call me and If I had read the articale .
I actually like to see a breeder who rescues. They should know that the pups they are selling as pets have an owner who very well could have gotten a dog from the shelter instead. A breeder who rescues as well gets brownie points in my book. Actually, anyone who rescues in any way should be given a thumbs up. I know plenty of people who rescue and foster for our humane society yet they have bred / will breed / are breeding / buy their dogs from a breeder. This doesn't make their rescue efforts unworthy.

IRescue452
01-16-2006, 03:32 PM
My aunt has two chihuahuas from a reputable breeder. One is an angel, the other is vicious. I can't and won't go near this dog without some sort of protection between me and the dog. This little toothy shark can do serious damage. I doubt however that a pack of chihuahuas did any harm to a person who was standing and had full lenght pants on. As long as you keep fingers and face out of the chihuahuas' reach you'll be alright. This lady sounds nuts, but it also sounds like she takes care of her dogs, and that's what counts.
Corinna, did you read my siggie?, According to many people on here, its fine for show breeders to breed purebred dogs all they want with no concern for the byb dogs in shelters. This lady is concerned with both so more power to her.

Corinna
01-16-2006, 03:34 PM
I agree on both rescue and shes out of tune . She's out of tune with a lot from what I hear. My mom couldn't beleive the local paper made this the front page story on the local section of the Sunday paper. The pictures (about5) were of this woman and all these (about 10) running around her.
I guess she has a good haert but just no self control ,if you have 5-6 rescues availble why would you bred and have 2-3 litters too?

Jessika
01-16-2006, 10:34 PM

Didn't you just say one bit your three-year-old brother-in-law more than once, though?? :confused:

sandragonfly
01-16-2006, 11:17 PM
too long for me to finish... lol. like I told in other book thread, I never can finish a page of a novel!

maybe later... :p