PDA

View Full Version : Current Pet Peeve

MariaM
01-14-2006, 11:41 PM
My current pet peeve...which really makes me shudder, and almost hurl...

How "John Deere" is popular. Gosh, I could PUKE. It makes me sick to my stomach. I was in St. Louis, I don't know the population, my guess is 4 million. They have JOHN DEERE shirts. People buy them because its "popular". Like...OH. MY. GOSH. Ugh! I'm sure more than half of the people who own a "John Deere" shirt don't even know what it is! It's a farm equipment manufacturer, not some damn popular logo you can wear on your shirt and look cool in!

It really makes me mad because I live in Saskatchewan, a village of 380 or so people. We own a farm, we own more than one piece of John Deere equipment, a tractor, a combine and a pull type combine. The problem is, I would enjoy wearing a shirt with John Deere on it. But you see, now that its "popular", if I wore it, people would think I was trying to be cool. It takes away from the whole thing!! GAH!!!!!!!

Sorry if I'm not explaining myself, but I just DON'T think it should be popular.
Same with "trucker caps". Do people even know WHY they are called "trucker" caps? My dad wears a "trucker" cap almost every day BECAUSE WE FARM. It's a farm thing. I gagged when they became 'popular'. Sure, whatever, fine and dandy I accepted it now.
But when things like this are made popular, it makes it REALLY frustrating for people who liked to wear those things BEFORE THEY WERE POPULAR. Does anyone understand what I'm trying to say?

Lol so anyway, that is my pet peeve. Yeah so I kind of went on a rant, but I cringe every time I think about John Deere being "popular". I feel a bit better now. :p

Jessika
01-14-2006, 11:45 PM
I live in St Louis and I see where you're coming from, but I never see ANYONE wearing John Deere shirts or hats. I see them sold in stores, but I never see ANYONE wearing them hehe

Flatcoatluver
01-14-2006, 11:45 PM
I do understand what you saying. I would love to get a sweatshirt for john deer.......... of corse now i AM NOT! I understand completly!

Jessika
01-14-2006, 11:46 PM
Oh and the trucker hats? I agree completely. That was a horrible, HORRIBLE trend. I am SO GLAD that phase has passed. I personally think they are so ugly lol

Almita
01-14-2006, 11:49 PM
well i'm a fan of john deere because that is where my dad works but there are people at my school are acting all like oh my goodness i got a john deere sweatshirt and i'm like wow i thought you said you hated john deere but they say they like it because it's popular and i'm like that is not why i'm wearing it.

IRescue452
01-15-2006, 01:11 AM
I understand you completely. The city people in WI wear John Deere and the country folk like myself prefer Oliver farm equipment and still wouldn't be caught wearing an oliver shirt. I'm often a victim of "before it was pop culture". Like remixed songs from the 60's that teenagers actually think are new songs. They ask how I knew the words to a song that just came out. Duh I've known the song for my entire life.

Laura's Babies
01-15-2006, 10:12 AM
I've seen that fabric in the fabric stores and wondered what in the world people did with John Deer fabric! Make curtians for their tractors?? :eek:

Almita
01-15-2006, 12:35 PM
I've seen that fabric in the fabric stores and wondered what in the world people did with John Deer fabric! Make curtians for their tractors?? :eek:

That would be hilarious if they did now the sun won't be in there eyes :cool: but ya i seem to wonder they also make other tractor companies feel bad hello..... like Cat, Brigham, etc....they probably work harder than john deere!

christa
01-15-2006, 03:17 PM
It's popular here too. In little old Ashland KY.

Doesn't bother me though.

I could really care less.

It's a fad. It will blow over in a few months. ;)

christa
01-15-2006, 03:19 PM

ACTUALLY . . . my little cousin, who is a few years older now, used to absolutely LOVE John Deere EVERYTHING! He had all the toys! His mom did his room in John Deere . . . put up a John Deere border, painted his walls green & yellow . . . and made him curtains with John Deere fabric.

Uabassoon
01-15-2006, 03:23 PM
ACTUALLY . . . my little cousin, who is a few years older now, used to absolutely LOVE John Deere EVERYTHING! He had all the toys! His mom did his room in John Deere . . . put up a John Deere border, painted his walls green & yellow . . . and made him curtains with John Deere fabric.

I have a cousin who loved that stuff when he was younger too. My mom's dad is a farmer and my cousin lives in D.C. (my grandfather lives in Texas) so he used to LOVE visiting grandpa on the farm and seeing all the tractors. He loves anything with the John Deere logo on it because to him that reminded him of grandpa.

Laura's Babies
01-15-2006, 06:09 PM
Christa, I would love to see a picture of that room! That had to be just the cutiest! You have satisfied my curiosity of what they fabric was used for.. I never realized there was such a "fad" with John Deer stuff.. It was not a fad around here so I guess that is why I didn't know.

Karen
01-15-2006, 06:27 PM
My grandfather was appalled when his standard demin overalls, which he'd worn around the farm for YEARS became "fashionable" when I was in high school. Why did he care? Their price just about doubled in a year - and he had trouble getting them in his size suddenly, even from the place he'd brought them for year upon year. (Admittedly, he needed an odd size, as he was a squarely built individual - broad shoulders, but not that tall.)

Though it was adorable, because when they made them for babies a few years later, my nephew looked all for the world like a miniature version of his great-grandfather - down to the hairline, and the rolling gait. Grandpa's rolling gait was from years of walking with one foot in one row of the garden, and the other in the row next to it. Jimmy's came from the fact that he was diaper-age, but still, it was cute!

You just keep wearing - and liking - your John Deere stuff. Good tractors, them there machines. And if anyone questions you, you can drawl, "Honey, I wore John Deere before it was "hot," and I'll wear it after the fad has gone away. My loyalty is toward the tractor, not the fashion."

WolvesRawk
01-15-2006, 09:01 PM
I hate music fads. I've loved Green Day for a long time. Just now since American Idiot was made, EVERYONE loves Green Day. It bugs me when I'm humming a song made before that cd , such as Brain Stew, and people are like "Cool Song! What band?" and I answer Green day and their like "no it's not!" and I'm like "yes it is" and their like "I would know! I have their CD!" THAT SONG WAS MADE AROUND 1992!!! It bugs me.

I also don't understand why things like John Deere are so popular. I saw someone wearing one when I was in San Antonio and I asked why they were wearing a tractor company shirt and they said "You idiot! John Deere is a clothes brand, not a tractor company!"

Karen
01-15-2006, 09:10 PM
I asked why they were wearing a tractor company shirt and they said "You idiot! John Deere is a clothes brand, not a tractor company!"

To which you replied - "I'm not the idiot in this conversation! It's been a tractor company for over 150 years. It's not their fault they suddenly became "fashionable!"

MariaM
01-15-2006, 09:47 PM
I agree - music fads are dumb as well. I know exactly what you are talking about with Greenday. They don't bother me as much though.

I can't believe they thought it was a clothes brand. Makes me want to strangle them people. :p

CagneyDog
01-15-2006, 10:21 PM
I don't really see why people get worked up over trends. I dont see how it's a big deal that there are John Deere things.

MariaM
01-15-2006, 10:39 PM
I don't really see why people get worked up over trends. I dont see how it's a big deal that there are John Deere things.

It's hard to explain. It's like, if I owned a John Deere shirt right now, I wouldn't wear it until the fad was over. If I did wear it, say, to some huge city, and someone I didn't know said "Cool shirt!" I would be disgusted. If it wasn't 'in', and never WAS 'in', and somebody said "Cool shirt!" I'd be like "Thanks!"

I guess I just love that I have a taste for what is not "in", and will probably (hopefully), never BE "in". It's not that I go and say "Oh, this is SO not popular, I'm going to buy it and start liking it". It's just that the things I DO like are usually not popular.

It's the same thing with music. I just LOVE bands that aren't well known. It's not that I like them BECAUSE they aren't well known, but I do enjoy the fact that they aren't known. Then they become popular, and it SUCKS, because I've liked them WAY before. In example, Fallout Boy. I've liked them for a long time, but it seems to me they've just become popular recently..
I guess it's a little selfish - because its good for the band. But that's just an example I suppose.
I try not to let it bother me too much, but I guess its mostly just the ignorance of some people. I'm not saying all people who like to wear popular clothes are ignorant. Sometimes they really are nice clothes! It's just those that will see somebody wearing a skirt, for example, and think "that is SO hideous". Then they see it in a magazine, and they think "Hmmm". They they see some celebrity wearing it and they think "Hmmm!!". Next thing you know they one own. THOSE are the people that bother me.

I guess its the main thing is, why can't people be themselves? :p

CagneyDog
01-15-2006, 10:57 PM
Eh, I see where your coming from but still :p

I love Greenday, I love their old stuff. It doesn't bother me that everyone is obsessed with American Idiot.

In a way, when people are trying to be "different" and stick out they are just acting like the other 20 billion people that think the same way. :p

MariaM
01-15-2006, 11:42 PM
:P:P Good point, but I'm not trying to be different. I just AM different. Well, maybe not a WHOLE lot physically and stuff. I am mentally though, very different. :o Anyway, I guess this is getting kind of sidetracked. :p

WolvesRawk
01-16-2006, 12:16 AM
Eh, I see where your coming from but still :p

I love Greenday, I love their old stuff. It doesn't bother me that everyone is obsessed with American Idiot.

In a way, when people are trying to be "different" and stick out they are just acting like the other 20 billion people that think the same way. :p
I don't mind people likeing American Idiot. It's awsome. I just hate when they call themselves fans but don't even know how long they've been around and I hate being criticized for likeing their old stuff.
Another fad example is those sparkley purses. My mom sold them at her shop and no one had ever seen them. I was thinking about getting one just because I liked them and I figured that no one else had them so it would be different. The next week, EVERYONE had them. Now, you can't see a single person without one. Now, I hate those things because EVERYONE has them. They get way too boreing!

Jessika
01-16-2006, 12:19 AM
I hate music fads. I've loved Green Day for a long time. Just now since American Idiot was made, EVERYONE loves Green Day. It bugs me when I'm humming a song made before that cd , such as Brain Stew, and people are like "Cool Song! What band?" and I answer Green day and their like "no it's not!" and I'm like "yes it is" and their like "I would know! I have their CD!" THAT SONG WAS MADE AROUND 1992!!! It bugs me.

I COMPLETELY agree. Their newest CD though has completely turned me off of the band though, unfortunately. As well as their new "fans". :(

WolvesRawk
01-16-2006, 12:23 AM
I COMPLETELY agree. Their newest CD though has completely turned me off of the band though, unfortunately. As well as their new "fans". :(
I still LOVE Green Day but just not their new "fans." They are hardly fans if they don't know that there are other CDs than American Idiot. I can be considered a fan because if you name a song by Green Day, I'll most likely know it and be able to play it on my guitar. These people that only like Green Day because it's what everyone else likes are annoying. It happens to so many bands now. Just look at AC/DC and Fall Out Boy. It's rather sad really because they'll be fans one day, then not care about that band the next.

Jessika
01-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Well a fan is just someone who is a fan of their stuff. So whether they only like the new stuff and haven't even heard of "Dookie" or older albums, or you're someone who knows everything about them down to their eye color, you're still a fan in my opinion. You both still buy their merchandise and support the band.

Almita
01-16-2006, 03:10 PM
I agree with wolesrawk I'm a big fan of ac/dc and I love there music all the cds and everything and there are people at my school they say ooo I like that band too and I'm like wat song do you like and they are like ummm the new ones and um like umm ok?! Do you know the names and they are like no and then i say then how come you say you're a gan if you don't know anything about them. I'm also a fan of The All-American Rejects I love them I have all there cds know a lot about them and people yet they so called say they are a fan and yet they are not like I know someone I im with and they say I love that band i'm a fan too and i'm like what are the songs you like and she is all i like dirty little secret and i'm like oh what else and she is all that is the only song I know and i'm like ummm ok?! That just gets on my last nerves.

Allecto
01-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Careful, music people... you may be running down and chasing off potential 'real' fans. After all, there was one point in your fandom when you only knew one song or one cd by the bands you love, but since no one made you feel bad or stupid for being that way, you kept learning more about the bands, and getting in to more of their stuff. If they like the new stuff, why not try to turn them on to some of the old stuff, or more stuff from the band? You may be discouraging people who could potentially be great concert buds, or who have similar enough tastes musically to turn you on to something new you'd love but don't know about yet.

As far as the clothes go, I think it is worse to give up something you really like just because other people like it, too. I think not liking something just because other people do is even worse than liking it because other people do. If you really want to be yourself and be an individual, than forget about all the trends. Don't even let them register with you. There's no rule that says you can't incorporate both the most popular and the not-even-on-the-map-yet things into your style. It's all good, as long as it is what you like and what makes you feel good.

MariaM
01-16-2006, 09:46 PM
Good post Allecto.

I'm not sure if you were referring to me or not, with the "not liking because somebody else does". That's not exactly how I feel, its just, its not as fun to wear what everyone else is wearing for me, I guess. :p

WolvesRawk
01-16-2006, 10:04 PM
I don't not (I know, double negitive) get stuff because others like it, I just loose intrest when others like it. Such as with the sparkly purses. Since they're now everywhere, they are just boreing.

Almita
01-16-2006, 10:16 PM
for clothes i don't mind them getting or accecories but this girl i'm talking about first they say the like the band and then she says she hates it when she hears someone that doesn't like it and then she hears someone else say they love it she says she loves it too. That is how i'm trying to say it.

WolvesRawk
01-16-2006, 10:18 PM
for clothes i don't mind them getting or accecories but this girl i'm talking about first they say the like the band and then she says she hates it when she hears someone that doesn't like it and then she hears someone else say they love it she says she loves it too. That is how i'm trying to say it.
Those are the most annoying people.

Almita
01-16-2006, 10:25 PM
Those are the most annoying people.

yup and that is what i tired to say and yes they are annoying when they act like that is how someone I know that i chat with that i know just from aim and also tells me every single thing like every minute she tells me what she is doing like for instance I'm all hi what are you up too and she is all i'm making a page and i'm like cool and then she is all i'm adding in the pictures and I say nice and then she says now i'm doing the writing and i'm like oh cool and then she says i'm putting in more pictures and then add the guestbook and i'm like oh ok..... that is what she says a lot and i don't want to hurt her feelings just gets on my last nerves! She is the one that says what i wrote before about i like that to one person and another i hate that band and to another one I love that band too! Also this girl at my school is the same with the band to fit in. Come on just be your own individual! I'm my own individual and i'm a hyper and happy person and at my school every one likes me that way because I'm just being myself!