PDA

View Full Version : Eight Below

elizabethann
01-14-2006, 10:14 PM
Went to the movies and saw a preview of this Disney movie. It's called Eight Below. It's based on a true story. Here is the website with a trailer:

http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/8below/

I can't wait to see it.

:)

Corinna
01-14-2006, 11:11 PM
Looks cool a definate must see.

Glacier
01-14-2006, 11:17 PM
It, like anything Disney touches, is very loosely based on a true story. In 8 below all the dogs survive. In the reality of the 1957 Japanese expedition, 2 of the 13 dogs left behind survived until the year later when the people came back. And the dogs weren't Siberian Huskies in reality. They were Canadian Eskimo Dogs--radically different from the husky in almost every way.

It's going to be a disaster for husky rescue, just like Snow Dogs was. The groups I work with are already trying to prepare for even greater numbers than we see already.

Here's a link to the real story
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?ek20050421wh.htm

IRescue452
01-15-2006, 01:03 AM
They really should put some sort of disclaimer in movies like this informing and preventing people from impulse buying. As much as I love dog stories, people in America are so stupid and ignorant that I wish they didn't put dogs in movies.

CathyBogart
01-15-2006, 01:55 AM
*sigh* I look forward to the movie, but I'll make a point of donating some money or supplies to the Campbell Husky rescue after it comes out. :(

buttercup132
01-15-2006, 08:22 AM
It looks alot like snow dogs ,but just changed the script a bit add the whole true story thing and they even have some of the same dogs from snow dogs there. It looks ok but not a rush to the theater type movie

anna_66
01-15-2006, 08:25 AM
I have to say it looks like a very good movie with beautiful dogs and I am looking forward to seeing it.
But I do hate the fact that people will now want to run out and get themselves one not knowing about huskies.

Thanks glacier for including the link about the real story. It's amazing that even two of the dogs could have survived for a year in that sort of climate.

cane_corso_mom
01-15-2006, 12:19 PM
I want to see it too :D

Vette
01-15-2006, 02:52 PM
America are so stupid and ignorant that I wish they didn't put dogs in movies.

Hey! watch it! ;)
you know... your right though. LOL

pretty much with any animal though.
my friend wanted a little Spider Monkey all becasue she seen it in that movie "Monkey Trouble" and thought it was cute. :rolleyes:

Muddy4paws
01-16-2006, 10:50 AM
It's not just Americans, I know it isn't a dog but when the film Finding Nemo came out there was a huge rush on those fish, I was reading in The Sea Life Centre that most of their "nemo fish" was donated from people who couldnt look after them :rolleyes:

lv4dogs
01-16-2006, 11:18 AM
I want to see that. Just last week there was an article in one of the local papers about the movie, the original story & I was so happy, it also added some info about impulse-buying for breeds of dogs (and other animals) due to their exposure in popular movies.