PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Use Tidy Cats Crystals Litter???

christa
01-13-2006, 10:16 AM
I was wondering if anyone used the Tidy Cats Crystals alone in their cat's litter box.

http://www.tidycat.com/imgs/tidycats/img_crystal_instructpkg.jpg

The reason I'm thinking of trying it is because I am afraid that litter dust is one of the contributing factors of Josie's asthma.

We use Fresh Step and even though it says 99.9 percent dust free, there is constantly an inch of dust on everything in their room and when we scoop, you can see the litter dust floating in the air. (I would like to know how they take that "dust free" measurement!)

I like the idea of the "no dust" feature of the crystals, but I just don't understand how they work . . . anyone use them??? Anyone tried them and failed with them? Does it absorb the liquid cause it sounds like you don't have to scoop the liquid. :eek: Just the solids?

Your Input would be MUCH appreciated!

Remember, I only have 2 cats, so it wouldn't be a huge deal.

catnapper
01-13-2006, 10:21 AM
I mix the crystals into my litter. It really DOES help cut down on odors, but I simpy could never afford to use them alone. If you read the directions, only one of those jugs last 30 days with one cat, 10-15 days with 2 cats, and 7-10 days with 3 cats. I have 5 cats! :eek: I'd be changing boxes every other day! Thats a LOT of money each month, especially since those jugs are about $8 each

christa
01-13-2006, 10:58 AM
I mix the crystals into my litter. It really DOES help cut down on odors, but I simpy could never afford to use them alone. If you read the directions, only one of those jugs last 30 days with one cat, 10-15 days with 2 cats, and 7-10 days with 3 cats. I have 5 cats! :eek: I'd be changing boxes every other day! Thats a LOT of money each month, especially since those jugs are about $8 each

Oh geez . . . that is a lot!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-13-2006, 11:14 AM
I use the Tidy Cats for Small Spaces in the litterbox upstairs and in the motorhome. One of the main reasons I switched was because in the motorhome, I was constantly smelling the dust. It's like it was always in my nose and even when I was out of the motorhome I could still smell it - uck! The Tidy Cats for Small Spaces still has a little dust, but not anywhere near as much as the regular clumping litter. It works just like the clumping litter and it really helps to cut down on odors also. I still use the regular clumping litter in the boxes in the basement in the house because it's cheaper and because dust is everywhere down there to begin with, so what's a little more? :rolleyes:

I've never used the Crystals, but I really like the Small Spaces.

catmandu
01-13-2006, 11:17 AM
When they come free with the Cat Food,I use them mixed in with the Clumping Litter.
Otherwise as Kim says,they are very pricey.
And The Found Cats will not use them,on thier own,unmixed.

emily_the_spoiled
01-13-2006, 11:40 AM
If you want to reduce dust, have you considered using a kitty litter that is pine or wheat based? There are some good alternatives at PetSmart that won't produce nearly as much dust.

Laura's Babies
01-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Why did anyone even mention litter dust? Ho Hummmm.... :rolleyes: NOW, I gotta go DUST!

Jessika
01-13-2006, 01:13 PM
If you want to reduce dust, have you considered using a kitty litter that is pine or wheat based? There are some good alternatives at PetSmart that won't produce nearly as much dust.

Exactly what I was going to suggest!

Since I only have one kitty though I am thinking of getting the crystals with a smaller litter box (unless he grows to be a BIIIG boy, that is!). It shouldn't be too expensive for one kitty, his cat food would be more expensive than the litter! Hehe.

I know this is OT but to help with odors you could mix in some baking soda with the litter every time you scoop or change the box! :) And feeding a premium food also helps (well I know for a fact that Nutro has done "smell tests" or something LOL)

Glacier
01-13-2006, 01:28 PM
I use them in one of the litterboxes--8 cats, 10 boxes, 4 kinds of litter. :rolleyes: Only a couple of the cats use the box with the crystals in it. It's Ivy's favorite. The only complaint I have about them is that Pete thinks the crystral are actually cat toys. He plays hockey with them all over the house and they hurt when you step on them with barefeet!

christa
01-13-2006, 01:38 PM
I know this is OT but to help with odors you could mix in some baking soda with the litter every time you scoop or change the box! :) And feeding a premium food also helps (well I know for a fact that Nutro has done "smell tests" or something LOL)

Odors aren't a problem. We already use a deodorizer and really the only reason I want to change is because of the dust & Josie's asthma.