PDA

View Full Version : dog wont eat reg food but human food what u do

mantzke160551
01-13-2006, 05:40 AM
i have done everything to get beeny to eat... he is a cocker spaninal 1yr old i have tryed dry wet everything he wont he it now before he was but now all of sudden he wont but now he will eat chicken adn that etc..... ne one got advice

lv4dogs
01-13-2006, 09:46 AM
If he's not eating & has an ear infection he may have other things going on too. I strongly suggest a trip to the vet! asap!

IRescue452
01-13-2006, 05:39 PM
Give him a good quality dry food, and that's it. Give him a chance to eat twice a day for twenty minutes and then pick up the dish and put the food away. If there's nothing physically wrong and he's just a picky eater, he'll eat eventually. He won't starve on a day of not eating. Don't coddle him or give him human foods or treats. This is rewarding him for being picky.

scoobysmom
01-15-2006, 06:49 PM
What kind of food are you feeding the dog? If it's Diamond, get him right to a vet. That was thr first symptom my darling dog exhibited, and he died 2 weeks ago from Aflatoxin poisoning.

dragondawg
01-15-2006, 07:35 PM
It's possible the type of dog food you are trying to feed isn't that appetizing. For mine past and present not to mention any neighbor's dogs that I have puppy-sat, they have found the Propet brand irrresistable. There are probably many other quality brands that qualify. High protein/high fat formulations have more taste than maintenance formulations which tend to be cereal bound.

But obviously if a dog catches onto the idea that all they have to do is just hold out on a hunger strike and they will get fresh cooked chicken and steak, cottage cheese, ice cream etc... then guess what's going to happen?

If you are confident the brand of dog food is a good one (e.g. that leaves out Old Roy, and Purina) then put the dish of dry food on the floor. When the dog gets hungry enough it will eat.

My generalized agreement with my dogs is that they always get the last bite of whatever I'm eating. Not only do they eat their own food, but they leave me alone while I'm eating my dinner- knowing they will get something. The human food ends up being a tidbit reward for them, not a main course.

Jessika
01-15-2006, 08:06 PM
If he's not eating & has an ear infection he may have other things going on too. I strongly suggest a trip to the vet! asap!

My thoughts exactly.

Otherwise try a different formula or flavor from the same brand you are currently feeding. Maybe he just doens't like the current food :)

Good luck!

dab_20
01-18-2006, 09:06 AM
Get him to the vet ASAP!

My RB cocker spaniel missy stopped eating and one week later she died. :(
Not saying its something serious like that, he could just be a picky eater, but please get him checked out.