PDA

View Full Version : Jack and his crate issues...Help!!

k9krazee
01-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Alright, I have a MAJOR problem...Jack is an escape artist and somehow mangages to squeeze out of his crate on a daily basis. This has been happening on and off for months but has recently turned into an all the time thing for him.

Today I got home from school (I got to waive exams today so I got home reeeeeally early :D ) and I was surprised to see Jack meeting me at the door and not in his crate. I walked in my room and the pan for the bottom of the crate is across the room, the cage is tilted up on one end and it's in the middle of the room (instead of against the wall) :eek: He is officially CRAZY!!! It's a folding wire crate and the front and back go in and then the rest folds all up, well somehow he gets the front to go back and then sqeezes out of the tiny slit :eek: I really wish I could catch him in action, lol, I wonder how long it takes him :confused:

Here he is in his crate (taken a couple of weeks ago) See the little white ties everywhere?? There were more but he BROKE them!!!!! And there are currently little carabeaners everywhere so I have no idea how he managed to get out today, its really frustrating me!
http://kangashrew13.zoto.com/img/45/75cda0852397391e5e87ae7cb6911ce0-.jpg

But anyway, the crate is a little small, it was one that I got for free when he was a baby. I want to buy him a new one but I'm not sure if it would be worth it to spend that much money and then have him breaking out still...I just want a cure, lol!! I'm afraid he will hurt himself one of these times :(

Any suggestions or ideas for a new crate or something to help the breaking out problem would be GREATLY appreciatied :)

lv4dogs
01-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Does he cause a mess when he breaks free from his crate? If not I would just let him have free access to the house.

But if not, then how about the plastic ones, like these:
plastic crate (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=1357&N=2001+113495)

Dr foster & smith also makes gorilla tough cages, not sure if they are escape proof but worth looking into.

gemini9961
01-11-2006, 01:59 PM
I am sorry I have no advice, but I am amazed that he can get out of there like that. Should rename him Houdini maybe :confused:

Corinna
01-11-2006, 02:12 PM
I was going to suggest an airline crate. Wish you were closer I have 2 and do noe to use them . Merlin was the only crate dog. Other 2 don't leave home except to fo to the bank (rarely)

pnance
01-11-2006, 02:24 PM
The airline crate's a good idea, although if he's flipping the wire I'm guessing he might flip the airline so you may have to secure it in some way. If you want to stay with the wire, if you can I'd set up a camera to see exactly what he's doing and how, maybe you can prevent it that way. I had to do something similiar with my RB, Sandy, when he kept getting out of our yard and I couldn't figure out how. I finally set up a camera to figure out how he was doing it so I knew how to fix it.

Uabassoon
01-11-2006, 02:26 PM
Payson used to escape from his wire crate all the time, it was so annoying. We would tie it together with metal clasps and he would still escape. We finally bought one of the plastic airline kennels and haven't had a single problem with it.

dukedogsmom
01-11-2006, 02:43 PM
I'd say it's more than a little small. Poor thing can't even stand up straight. Invest in an airline crate that's big enough for him. I'm sure he's worth it and those are much more secure.

Pembroke_Corgi
01-11-2006, 05:11 PM
I'd suggest a large crate like lv4dogs linked to.
Adele had the same problem of escaping from everything- one time when we were out for a while (about 6 hours, more than she was used to being left alone) she broke out of her wire crate that is simlar to Jack's and required stitches which alone cost way more than her new crate. I'd say, if he has to be crated, get him a new crate, because he might get hurt otherwise. Good luck!

Edit: I just wanted to add that Adele (aka Eldini) has never escaped from her new crate, so that kind might work for Jack, too. :)