PDA

View Full Version : looking to adopt pitbull/lab mix

lj1983
01-11-2006, 11:55 AM
hi all, i was looking for some info on the above breeds and stumbled onto here...defientely an interesting forum y'all got...

well, here goes. my aunt has coworker who found a paper-bag of puppies left on the side of the road. :( she wants to adopt one, but my uncle won't have it (they have 4 dogs currently and 3 cats...) so she wants me to adopt one. both of my dogs are overseas with my parents, and i miss them alot.
we have a westie and a german short-haired pointer.

She's offered to get the shots and spay/neuter the dog, so i wouldn't have to pay for that.

I just got back from overseas myself with the military, where we adopted a mutt-afghan dog[Mick] who was a sweet heart(and now lives in maryland! :)) but grew to a huge size.

we're planning on going to visit the puppies tonight, i haven't even seen them yet.

I was wondering if anyone knows much about a pit/lab mix specifically. i know most mixes you won't find much specific info since it's different with each one, but maybe a guestimate on size/temperament?

now i know you can't pick a dog and 'design' them to a certain size and everything, especially a mutt..but i'd still like to get a certain size dog...

'Precious' our pointer, is the size dog i'd really enjoy. not small like a terrier, nor fullsize. but larger enough to go running with. I don't know her weight, like i said she's my parents and i can't estimate that well...

I honestly wasn't looking for a dog at this time...but this sorta just came up...

I dunno, i guess i just want some one to convince me to adopt one, since i'm kinda on the fence right now.

caseysmom
01-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Welcome! First of all you should give one of these poor babies a home if you are able. Labs can be quite large, pit bulls are usually smaller, around 40 pounds.

I have a 40 pound mutt and she is a wonderful dog.

Jadapit
01-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Hi, I have a pit/lab mix. She is an awesome dog. Her tempetment is great. She loves people shes not real dog aggressive. I also own a 10 month old pit bull and an ACD mix. They all get along great. Jada (she is the pit/lab mix) is a pretty big girl. She weighs almost 80 lbs. Here are a few pictures of her. I hope you are able to take one of the puppies. :)
http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/7531/cid012c01c5f6a615571600c61e2fd.jpg

This isnt the best picture, but you can see her height.
http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/2240/cid001a01c602b9ce58f6e0833e72d.jpg

caseysmom
01-11-2006, 01:17 PM
I swear jadapit everytime I see those pups I want to plant a kiss on their noses.

Jadapit
01-11-2006, 01:20 PM
I swear jadapit everytime I see those pups I want to plant a kiss on their noses.

Thank you!! Believe me, they would let you give them kisses all day. ;)

Bigyummydog
01-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Isn't JADA just gorgeous!!! Well.....MAXIMUS is a pit/lab cross as well.
He is just about 90bls. He is just wonderful. Since he has had
the "chop", he has become so much more dog friendly. We have
actually made some doggie friends. I'm still a bit standoffish when
we come across other dogs, just being carefull. But, MAXIMUS is
the best thing I've ever had. Yeah, he is a bit on the big side,
but nonetheless, just so so yummy.

.sarah
01-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Holy cow, I had no idea Jada and Maximus were so big! I thought they were about 65 - 70 lbs! Wowee, I like them even better now ;) (the bigger the better! ;))

caseysmom
01-11-2006, 03:00 PM
Yes maximus is another one I want to plant a big kiss on. He is definetely one hunk of yummy dog.

Suki Wingy
01-11-2006, 03:39 PM
not small like a terrier, nor fullsize.
Just remember that a pit bull is essentially a terrier in temperament so they will probably be strong-willed and strong.

lj1983
01-13-2006, 08:38 PM
thanks everyone for the responses, unfortunately i didn't adopt one of the puppies, but they all found homes elsewhere, so they're happy.

Bigyummydog
01-13-2006, 08:54 PM
Yes maximus is another one I want to plant a big kiss on. He is definetely one hunk of yummy dog.
Come and get it. He would just love it. And thanks, I think so too. He is just the yummiest thing ever.

Bigyummydog
01-13-2006, 09:01 PM
Too bad...so sorry you didn't get such a yummy mix....we(us here at PT) have wonderful pups that would have sure loved you.
Keep trying, look in shelters, they will, I promise, love you to NO end.