PDA

View Full Version : Band-Aid on dogs? *Delicate question*

JenBKR
01-11-2006, 08:42 AM
Ok, this is kind of a strange one. I'm hoping that someone can give my co-worker some advice, because I certainly don't know what to tell her. She has a two year old English Springer Spaniel named Hoss. She said that she puts a diaper thingy on him (a cloth one) when she is not home. She said that she looked last night at his, um, pee-pee, and where the fabric (elastic end) rubs against it is a little red. So, this morning she put some neosporin on the irritated spot and put a band-aid over it, then put the diaper on. Now she's asking me if what she did is ok, and what she should do. I told her to ask her vet, but I thought that some of you guys might have some ideas too. Anyone? Thanks for any help you can give me!

IRescue452
01-11-2006, 09:09 AM
I'd tell her to housetrain the dog, unless there's a reason he can't hold it until he goes outside. A crate would help too. Neosporin isn't a good treatment for diaper rash, she could use some diaper rash ointment if its bothering him, and if he won't lick it off. A band-aid is going to hurt that poor dog like hell when she rips it off. The best cure is fresh air without a wet, textured diaper rubbing on it. A band aid will only keep the moisture in so the rash doesn't heal as well.

Pawsitive Thinking
01-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Poor dog - why does he need a diaper??? If he has to go inside can't she use puppy pads on her floor until he is housetrained?

Tell her to stop treating him like a toddler and start treating him like a dog!

pitc9
01-11-2006, 09:24 AM
I agree, the neosporin isn't going to fix diaper rash. House training the dog would be best, she could always try leaving potty pads out on the floor for him to use while she's house training him.

JenBKR
01-11-2006, 09:31 AM
I asked her about the crate and she said that she has one and he is crate trained, but lately has been having some problems peeing. She said that she was afraid to put him back in the crate because he wasn't very fond of being in there when she was crate training him. How do you train a dog to use puppy pads?

LOL I'll tell her that if she wants to put a diaper on something to have a baby... :p

Pawsitive Thinking
01-11-2006, 09:40 AM
I How do you train a dog to use puppy pads?

As with all things - lots of praise when he gets it right. The pads we used for Tobey had something in them to encourage dogs to use them

I'll tell her that if she wants to put a diaper on something to have a baby...

LOL! Totally agree with that

lv4dogs
01-11-2006, 10:25 AM
I agree with the previous replies (unless his reasoning is medical then I disagree with the diaper comments lol).

Even if he has medical reasoning why he has urinary problems, he needs air to heal. If anything I would treat it like it is, a diaper rash, put some desitin oitment on it and lots of air.
Maybe she can build a kennel for him outside so he be out there sometimes and not have to worry about the diaper thing all the time.

beeniesmom
01-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Puppy pads have a smell on them that attracts dogs.
They will usually pee on them on thier own. No training required.

Jessika
01-11-2006, 03:01 PM
I would definitely suggest crate training or training him on puppy pads. If the diaper is rubbing him and irritating him, putting a bandaid on it won't hurt but in the long run the only real solution would be to not have a diaper on for hours after hours during the day!

BitsyNaceyDog
01-11-2006, 03:19 PM
I'd only suggest using pee pads if there is a real reason he cannot hold it. Pee pads can teach the dog that it's ok to go in the house. She should have him checked by her vet if he was holding it fine before, but now isn't. If there is no medical reason he can't hold it, then I'd use the crate. Or if she doesn't want to use the crate than is there a reputable pet sitter or dog walker in her area that can come walk him in the middle of the day? Or maybe a trusted neighbor? If she has a securely fenced yard a doggy door may be an option too. Or use a baby gate to keep him confined to 1 room, a bathroom or kitchen with tile flooring.
Maybe she should take up his water while she's away, or only leave a small amount down. Make sure he's eliminated everything before she leaves, and don't keep food down for him.

IRescue452
01-11-2006, 03:32 PM
He wasn't fond of the crate? Tough. Its not abuse to put him in a crate. As long as he isn't hurting himself, he'll be fine in the crate for a few hours. If she's in an apartment and he's barking she'll need to work with him. It sounds like he's a good dog with a owner who coddles him too much.

JenBKR
01-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Thanks for all of the great ideas guys. Kristen (Hoss's owner) left for the day, but I gave her all of the advice you guys gave me. She said that he was crate trained, and she actually gave the crate to a friend when she was done. She said she'll try to get it back, but if she can't she's not really able to afford a new one right now. She did try to keep Hoss contained to one room, but he ripped up the carpet and she doesn't want to do that again (hmm, sounds a little like my Roscoe :rolleyes: ). A gate keeping him in the kitchen, where there is a tile floor, might be a good idea. She wasn't quite sure what she was going to do about it tonight when she left. I'll let you know what happens - thanks for the ideas!

JenBKR
01-11-2006, 03:42 PM
If she's in an apartment and he's barking she'll need to work with him.

Nope, she lives in a house, and I don't think he barks much.

[QUOTE=IRescue452It sounds like he's a good dog with a owner who coddles him too much.[/QUOTE]

OH YES!! She certainly does that. He is a really good dog (I got to 'Hoss-sit' once two years or so ago) but she totally babies him ;)

lizbud
01-11-2006, 04:48 PM
He wasn't fond of the crate? Tough. Its not abuse to put him in a crate. As long as he isn't hurting himself, he'll be fine in the crate for a few hours. If she's in an apartment and he's barking she'll need to work with him. It sounds like he's a good dog with a owner who coddles him too much.

I agree completely. :) Take off the diaper & the band aid & secure him
in the kitchen till you have another crate. Also, might be a good idea to
call the Vets for more info or a visit.