PDA

View Full Version : Licking paws at night.

Luvin Labs
01-10-2006, 09:21 PM
This is driving me nuts. Our littleoverayear old Lab Smokey is licking his paws constantly at night (and sometimes during the day, but not nearly as often).

He licks sooo much there is a 'wet spot' NOT caused by my b/f and I ;) :D

His licking is also keeping me awake and waking me up, its driving me that nuts!

We switched his food, but this is at least a month after his constant nightly licking of his paws. So we don't think its that.

Any ideas?

Cincy'sMom
01-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Food allergies can take quite a while to clear up...several months I believe. Maybe talk to your vet about using some benedryl, or doing some allergy testing.

Luvin Labs
01-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Thanks, after more convo with the b/f, we are actually going to see what happens after we take smokey to a doggy day care for a little bit... I think its more because of boredom than anything.

If he still does it after a while we'll talk with the vet.

cane_corso_mom
01-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Good idea :D

Giselle
01-11-2006, 12:03 AM
I doubt it's a food allergy because you mentioned that she does this at night. Sucking and licking objects is a normal behavior that many dogs exhibit when they're frightened or nervous, and many primarily do this during or before sleep. It's a habit they acquired as young puppies by suckling their mother.

Has there been any recent changes in the household? Did you switch around furniture? Did your BF just move in? There really isn't a concrete solution, but whenever Giselle pillow-licks, I distract her/wake her up. After she falls back asleep she doesn't seem to lick anymore.

JenBKR
01-11-2006, 08:33 AM
It could also mean that your dog is not getting enough exercise. Do you take him for walks and exercise him? He may need more, being that he's a lab and taking his age into consideration, they typically need tons of exercise at that age. :)

IRescue452
01-11-2006, 09:21 AM
I'd guess its just a comfort thing before going to sleep. Autumn sometimes does this when she's really tired and has been know to fall asleep mid-lick. If anything else I might guess an allergy of irritation from the fabric or detergent.