PDA

View Full Version : Concerned about Willy's weight/your opinions

rg_girlca
01-10-2006, 08:17 PM
The past few months, I have been concerned about Willy's weight. The hubby thinks I shouldn't be. After you read what I am about to write, I would greatly appreciate your opinions on this and if I should be concerned.

Here is a picture of Willy at 5 1/2 months old weighing 7lbs.7oz.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid199/p80c773c7c541c7eb69c3971e8a9c2308/f0a15221.jpg

Here are 2 pictures of him today at 9 months old, weighing 10 lbs.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid199/pc4382c6420a1d02a82659ab56c162cae/f0a15752.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid199/pb886918139c34a4e42eb3c7ed61c04d6/f0a157a1.jpg

First off, he hasn't gained any weight for the past month and a half, but I find he has such a big belly for his age. He was treated for worms when I first got him last May and then had to be treated again last October along with all the furkids. I haven't seen any worms since, but could it be possible that he still has them and this is the reason for his big belly, OR he is just overweight. He doesn't seem to eat that much from what I can see, but whenever we give them a treat, like chicken or ham, which is only about once a week, he attacks the pieces like he is starving. His Pounce treats, which are like the Temptations, he gets about 3 times a week and gets about 4-5 little morsels. Then I have to make sure he doesn't eat any of the other kitties treats. His regular meal is Purina Cat Chow and about twice a week gets about a heaping tablespoon of wet food. Also, a couple of times a week he has gas.
Any thoughts on your part and do you think I should have him checked by a vet.
Thank you.

AbbyMom
01-10-2006, 08:26 PM
I see that Willy has a fine fluffy tail and snowshoes (hair between the toes that protects his paw pads). Is it possible that he is part Maine Coon?

Randy_K
01-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Is he very active? If he isn't, then he may be eating too much. You would see signs of worms if he had them again. 10 pounds (4.5 kg for the rest of world) is a lot for a 9 month old. He looks healthy, though.

catnapper
01-10-2006, 08:53 PM
Hmmmm... sounds just like Harry at the same age.

Regarding gas, truly, honestly, think about getting him a better food! When we first got Allen, thats what we fed him. I took him to the vet complaining of much the same you are and she basically told me nothing was wrong with him except that he needed a better quality food. She gave me some brand names and I could choose what I wanted based on my personal preference and budget. Let me tell you: Viva la difference! No more smelly gas or poopies! I fed him the regular formula until he fattened up on kitten food, and he's been on weight management since then. Yes the premium food is a lot more expensive, but ya know what? I dished out less in a day because it had beetter nutrition and the better fillers made them feel full longer.

Craftlady
01-10-2006, 09:31 PM
I agree about the food quality and gas.
Better quality food very rare you have gas issues. I recommend getting food at places like PetSmart, Petco where they have better grade food than grocery store variety. Yes, it's more expensive but worth every penny.

jazzcat
01-10-2006, 09:43 PM
I think Willy and Rumor are even more alike than just looks. There is a reason I call her Chunk. She's the chunkiest little thing I've ever seen and boy does she have a belly.
This picture doesn't show it the best but you get an idea of how fat she is.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/bigrumor.jpg

The thing is she isn't that big, not a long cat or very tall. I don't know her weight but I'm sure she is pushing 10 pounds with no problem. I am taking her and Rocky to the vet Friday morning for their annual ( :o I'm a couple of months late :o ). Anyway, I dread hearing the vet fuss at me because of her weight.

One thing, I free feed dry food only and she doesn't eat a lot at one time but she does eat frequently. I've tried switching to scheduled feedings two times a day but Richard and I couldn't take all the crying and troublemaking from it.

I think Willy and Rumor just have those kind of genes (although Rocky is long, tall and fairly slim).

kimlovescats
01-10-2006, 09:59 PM
I could say the exact same thing about Fuzzy .... who if you remember is Rocky and Rumor's sister! Her belly is so big and squishy that sometimes I get paranoid about her having FIP ... but if she was that full of FIP fluid, she would be deathly ill, and she ISN'T! She is a very healthy and happy girl. It's funny how Willy, Rumor and Fuzzy all look like triplets and they have the same builds too. :rolleyes: :D

kimlovescats
01-10-2006, 10:07 PM
I could say the exact same thing about Fuzzy .... who if you remember is Rocky and Rumor's sister! Her belly is so big and squishy that sometimes I get paranoid about her having FIP ... but if she was that full of FIP fluid, she would be deathly ill, and she ISN'T! She is a very healthy and happy girl. It's funny how Willy, Rumor and Fuzzy all look like triplets and they have the same builds too. :rolleyes: :D

Look at the comparisons!!!

Willy:http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/3c13b2fb.jpg

Rumor:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/68b6671e.jpg

Fuzzy:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/kimlovescats/f16080cc.jpg

jazzcat
01-10-2006, 10:21 PM
LOL! The Chunky Triplets!! :p

Wonder what R&R and Fuzzy's other siblings look like. I sure wish Baloo's meowmie stayed in touch with you. I bet he looks like Willy's twin for sure.

rg_girlca
01-10-2006, 10:29 PM
Thank you everyone for your input on this. I have to agree that it is most likely food related. Looks like a new diet will be in order. I will make an appointment with my vet just to have Willy checked out and see what he recommends food wise.

Abby Mom; Yes, I would say that Willy could be part Main Coon.

Randy K; I wouldn't say very active, but active enough. Especially at 2 in the morning. :rolleyes:

CraftLady; We have stores that I guess are similar to Petsmart and Petco. They are called Pet Nature and Mondou.

Lori; You must tell me what the vet has to say about my girl Rumor and about Rocky. I also free feed my guys. They get two scoops in a bowl a day for the 5 of them.

Kim; It's uncanny how Rumor, Fuzzy and Willy look alike.

Thanks again for your opinions. :)

rg_girlca
01-10-2006, 10:32 PM
OH WOW Kim!!!! That is awesome. Look at those three gorgeous kitties and they are ours. :D

LOL Lori, "The Chunky Trio." That's a hoot. :)

Craftlady
01-10-2006, 10:42 PM
LOL Lori, "The Chunky Trio." That's a hoot. :)

PC Correct is "Full Figured" :)

krazyaboutkatz
01-11-2006, 12:49 AM
I would call all 3 of them on the fluffy side. :) I'm sure that Willy is probably going to grow more but I also think that feeding him a better quality cat food is a great idea. :) My Starr and Pearl are much smaller than these 3 but they also have bellies on them. Starr always acts likes he starving and inhales everything in front of him. :eek: Good luck with the new diet. :)

Barbara
01-11-2006, 03:27 AM
Of course there is a lot of fur around. Can you see Willy's sides a little sunk in when you look from above when he is walking. That would be a good sign.

Our Tigris is a cat with a big framework. He is 13 lb (5,8 kg) all his life and has a belly. Every time the vet looks at him she is not sure whether he's overweight but then she agrees he's not. So he's borderline fluffy :p But you still can see his sides sunk in when he walks.

Is Willy big from the bones? Like his Maine Coon granddad (or whoever it was ;))? If he is small then 10 lb may be too much for 9 months. He should gain his full weight at about 15 months.

But I agree on the gorgeous chunky trio- looks as if they are long lost triplets :D

catmandu
01-11-2006, 08:50 AM
If Willy is a Maine Coon,then he is settling into his frame,and will soon be more pleasingly shaped.
You might have to look at a Light Diet,if you are concerned that Willy is a Little Tea Pot,Short and Stout!
But I think that you have nothing to wory about,at Ten Pounds.

Pawsitive Thinking
01-11-2006, 08:57 AM
Brody is the same although you can't see it here. Do you think its a grey fluffy thing?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/Denise40_0/PrincessBrody.jpg