PDA

View Full Version : Fostering dogs

wolfsoul
01-09-2006, 09:34 PM
Does anyone here foster dogs? :)

I'm moving out of my roomate's place and into my own place so now I can foster animals, and I'm really looking forward to it. At the end of the month I'm getting five 6 week old Belgian shepherd/border collie mixes and adopting them out myself. They are 3/4 border collie, 1/4 Belgian. I'm hoping to get them into sporting homes. :) I haven't seen them yet but apparently they look like little Belgians. It will be interesting to have little Visas running around lol.

So if you foster, do you care to share any advice or stories or pictures? :)

elizabethann
01-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Did you ever get your questions answered? I don't foster but I know people who do. They enjoy it very much.

BC_MoM
01-12-2006, 12:08 PM
Never fostered before but you owe me pictures of those puppies.. Border Collies. <3

GoldenLuv
01-12-2006, 12:19 PM
Well i have fostered once so far and they went to their forever homes to weeks ago.. Just show them lots of love and tell them they will be loved by you know matter what they tear or chew up.. and train them if you can..

I bet my bottom dollar that your first fosters when they go to their forever homes, You will cry like a baby i know that i did when i gave up hunter and hopester... I still think about them alot i get to see hunter now Vador grow up. And Hope's new family kept her name..

Also remind them that they will never be abused or go un hungrey again..

lots of puppy kisses too

LeahMM
01-12-2006, 12:27 PM
I've had a foster now for about 6 weeks. He got injured last weekend requiring 5 stitches so he'll be with me for a while longer. It will be tough letting go of this little guy go but I know it's for the better.

Glacier
01-12-2006, 12:39 PM
I bet my bottom dollar that your first fosters when they go to their forever homes, You will cry like a baby i know that i did when i gave up hunter and hopester... I still think about them alot i get to see hunter now Vador grow up. And Hope's new family kept her name..

Doesn't matter if they are your first or 100th foster, you'll cry like a baby. I've only been truly thrilled to see a foster leave once and she was the foster from h*ll. Summit cost me close to 1000 dollars in vet bills when she attack my own dogs. I was doing a happy dance when her new owner drove off with her. Usually I'm fighting tears until they get out of the driveway, then I fall apart!

Lots of my fosters are now permanent residents, but alot of them have moved on to new homes. If you are working with a group, check their policies. The group I work with only fosters out dogs with issues. Easy to adopt dogs and puppies stay at the shelter. What issues are you prepared and able to deal with? What's your limit? What's their policy on adopters? What happens if you don't like a family they approve? In my case, if I don't want a dog to go to an approved adopter, the only option is to adopt them myself. Otherwise, I have to let them go. I have a deal with the shelter that should any of my fosters ever come back, they come to me immediately and they stay here. (except Summit and I'd probably even take her if she really needed a place) What happens if you can't handle a dog placed with you? Who pays vet bills and do you need prior approval to take an animal in? Who pays for food and do you have to feed a particular brand?

I've done some emergency fostering for the local women's shelter. The animals are owned by women fleeing abusive situations. They stay with me until the owner is back on her feet and can have her pet back. The owner can arrange visits and they usually provide food and toys. I love doing those ones. I still cry when they leave, but usually those are happier tears.

Personally, I wouldn't foster without a rescue group or shelter to work with. Too many liability issues and too many problems finding/approving adopters.