View Full Version : Switching Dog Foods/Authority Ingredients?

areias
01-09-2006, 06:50 PM
I have successfully talked my mom into switching dog foods, my guys are currently on Pedigree. :rolleyes: They could all use a decent weight loss/management formula, plus a better food in general. I am definately leaning towards Nutro Natural Choice Weight Management, however the biggest bag is only 30lbs, for $30. For the pedigree we're paying $16/40lbs. I don't want to go over $30, but for only 30lbs, I don't know if I want to do it. I've also looked at Pro Plan, which isn't as good but is better, but I'm still not sure. What do you think?

I was also curious as to the ingredients in the Authority dog food, I've done my research online but I can't find the ingredients to it. It is cheaper than the Nutro NC, but it says "Natural" which I would think would mean there wouldn't be too much corn products. Any help would be great! Thanks. :)

Pembroke_Corgi
01-09-2006, 06:58 PM
I don't know anything about Authority, but if you are concerned about costs I know that Nutro offers a frequent buyer program (you get the 11th bag free I think) and some coupons on their website. Here's a link: http://www.nutroproducts.com/fbpnutroReg.asp
Also, if you shop around your area there might be better prices somewhere. I know around here, prices can vary as much as $15 per bag on the same kind of food depending on where you shop.
Also, I just thought I'd mention, since you said your dogs need to be on a diet, I always have to watch Marta's portions as she gains weight easily. She eats the same kind of dog food as Adele (who will always be skinny) but I just give her less and add some carrots to her bowl instead, they help fill her up, but are a lot less calories. I think it's easier than feeding special food, but of course that works too! Good luck with your search!

Crazy-Cat-Lover
01-09-2006, 07:11 PM
This is all I could find about the ingredients in Authority dog food. This is the Real Chicken Lite. I have fed Authority and it is a *good* food and is cheap. It is better than any food you buy in a grocery store. I dont like to feed anything with corn in it or by products. I also like food that has more than one source of protein. The food I feed my cats has turkey, chicken and salmon. I like to see an easily digestible, palatable food that has no corn, soy, by products, BHA/BHT etc. I am picky when it comes to feeding my animals! :p

Here is the information and good look with the food switch. I hope they accept the new food!

Authority Lite With Real Chicken

Top Ten Ingredients

Chicken Meal
Brewers Rice
Ground Corn
Dried Beet Pulp
Chicken
Dried Cellulose
Brown Rice
Chicken Liver Digest
Corn Gluten Meal
Canola Oil

Guaranteed Analysis

Protein 21.0%
Fat 7.0%
Fiber 9.0%
Moisture 10.0%

:)

areias
01-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the information! I need to see what I can afford. My mom is paying me what she pays for pedigree, but I'm paying the difference. It looks like the NC is the best choice, but Authority would be alright.

I don't know anything about Authority, but if you are concerned about costs I know that Nutro offers a frequent buyer program (you get the 11th bag free I think) and some coupons on their website. Here's a link: http://www.nutroproducts.com/fbpnutroReg.asp
Also, if you shop around your area there might be better prices somewhere. I know around here, prices can vary as much as $15 per bag on the same kind of food depending on where you shop.
Also, I just thought I'd mention, since you said your dogs need to be on a diet, I always have to watch Marta's portions as she gains weight easily. She eats the same kind of dog food as Adele (who will always be skinny) but I just give her less and add some carrots to her bowl instead, they help fill her up, but are a lot less calories. I think it's easier than feeding special food, but of course that works too! Good luck with your search!

I do try to watch portions, but my mom feeds them about half the time, and gives them a large plastic cupfull each, sometimes twice a day. I only try to give them 1-1/2 measured cups of food twice a day, as there are little kids here and they get enough table scraps (aka, food that fell on the floor). They are on a type of free feed-they only eat twice a day, but they don't chow down right away, they eat when they feel like it, so it's hard to only give the one that really needs it less portions, as my other two don't really need reduced portions. Thanks for the info though. :)

areias
01-09-2006, 07:50 PM
Silly me, I've been looking for like a week now and finally found the ingredients to Authority. I looked at the lite chicken and the lite lamb, and the lamb product dosen't have corn what so ever in the ingredients. That is probably what I will end up getting, plus it's only $24.99/40lbs.

catnapper
01-09-2006, 09:03 PM
I'm just learning about Authority... its Persmart's line. My manager there said its comparable to Nutro. I will check the bags tomorrow to see whats the difference bewteen the two brands.

Go to Nutro's website and they'll have coupons for you. $2 off bags of Nutro is you sign up for their frequent buyer club., Plus you can buy 10 bags get the 11th free. My Nicki only eats Nutro.

Suki Wingy
01-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Niņo my picky little boy loves it but they don't sell it at petsmart so we feed a mix of bil-jac and my mom still insists on iams

JenBKR
01-10-2006, 09:10 AM
I think Authority is ok, but make sure that you get a sample and try it first. Roscoe won't eat Authority, but he loves Nutro or Bil-Jac. He's pickier than other dogs though, but something to consider.