PDA

View Full Version : I'm back from the vet, Pouncer is not :(

catnapper
01-09-2006, 10:36 AM
We went to the vet today to see about his straining. In my heart I knew he was blocked.

Of course the WONDERFUL, MARVELOUS, Dr. K. is away for a vet conference so I got the cranky, attitude ridden Dr. B. :( She is just AWFUL. Everyone in the rescue cringes when we need to see a vet and she's our only option. Usually I opt to wait a day or two til another vet is available, but I couldn't do that today. He needed a vet TODAY.

She felt his bladder and said that it was empty and that she couldn't see reason why he's straining. I told her that I had permission from the director to run Xrays and do whatever is necessary to fix him. She did NOT want to run Xrays. I had to convince her that he's sick, and that our director is a-ok with the expense.

15 minutes passed after they took him in the back for Xrays (the longest 15 minutes in my life) and she returned with an Xray showing a "mass that may or may not be a stone" so she wants to run more tests and possibly do surgery thursday if it is a stone. She totally refused to run any more tests without speaking to our director first. I understand that, and was prepared for it so I gave Dr. B the director's work number.

So now I'm home and already missing my boy terribly. I KNOW what the additional tests are going to reveal.... meowmie just knows. Of course, now my little worried brain wonders if the "mass" could be a stone or some type of cancer... meowmie's can worry better than anyone ya know! :( :(

Now all I can do is wait to hear something from the director.

jenluckenbach
01-09-2006, 10:47 AM
:eek: Not Dr B.! Oh well.....:(

I KNEW that an x-ray is in order! I just KNEW it! I am SO glad you demanded it! And don't worry about that nasty "C" word, it's a stone. I imagine it is the reason he blocks, then doesn't, then blocks again. it throws off pieces that pass, but not easily. It will cause nothing but trouble and will need to come out. Don't worry, I've been through this multiple times. Pounce will be OK!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}

K & L
01-09-2006, 10:48 AM
Oh no, that is not good news. Hopefully it's just a really large stone and can be removed easily. I will wait to hear updates.

Randi
01-09-2006, 10:49 AM
Kim, I'm so sorry you had to deal with this vet - have you considered complaning about her? :mad:

I really hope that Pouncer will get better soon, whatever the problem is.

Sending positive thoughts and healing vibes to Pouncer - and hugs to you.

Queen of Poop
01-09-2006, 10:53 AM
So sorry that you had to get the nasty vet. Sure hope they can fix your baby and get him back to you quickly. Prayers on the way.

kuhio98
01-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Kim ~ I'm so sorry that Pouncer isn't back home and being a nawtee boy. I wish they wouldn't jump to the most awful possibility when they are trying to diagnose our babies. We are sending you prayers.

Sonia59
01-09-2006, 10:59 AM
I am sending positive thoughts, I am sure Pouncer will get better soon. Waiting is terrible, but there is nothing more you can do :(

Hugs

Killearn Kitties
01-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Aww, I'm sorry you had to come home without Pounce. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they identify and fix the problem once and for all!

catnapper
01-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Well, I'm trying to take my mind off Pouncer so I am doing laundry. I always fold clothes on the couch.... and noticed a HUGE wet spot. Somebody peed on the couch. This has never happened before. I'm going to change out litter today and clean the boxes, but I have the feeling the culprit is the boy that is currently at the vets.

I simply cannot get mad at him for peeing on the couch (someone has also pooped on the carpet outside the box twice this week) IF he is the outsiude the box culprit, I simply cannot be mad at him. Now if its Allen.... hmmmmm..... he's mad at me because I cleaned his teeth the other day (oh how long they hold grudges!)

Kirsten
01-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Oh Kim, I so very very sorry!! Poor poor Pouncer, and poor you! :( :( :(

You know what, it would KILL me to wait for the results, and I sure hope it's a stone that can be surgically removed, and no cancer. Let's just hope it's a stone! Since he had already crystals in the past, I'm positive that it's a stone.

Anyway, it's so hard to be seperated from him, and now he's at the vet's. And at the top of it, you had to deal with Dr. B. :(

All our best wishes and positive thoughts are on the way for Pouncer, and Lily is sending all her love.

You and Pouncer are in our thoughts here!

Kirsten

kb2yjx
01-09-2006, 11:40 AM
I, too, am sorry that the vet you would have liked to see Pouncer was not there!! That happens with human doctors,too!! And just like with a human, you had to push to get the XRay and then something was found!!! Thank heavens Pouncer has you as his guardian!!!! Like another post said, don't even think the "c" word! It is just a stone! MORE PRAYERS for Pouncer and you!!

kimlovescats
01-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Kim ... I went through the same thing with my own personal physician a few years ago. I went to him feeling extremely sick, and told him I had been wheezing. He proceeded to examine me and point blank said to me "you're not wheezing"!!! :eek: Finally I asked in a sarcastic way for him to just prove me wrong with an x-ray. He responded, "my, we are testy today!" to which I replied, "NO doctor, I am SICK!" As it turned out, he had to eat his words when he read the Xray and saw I had PNEUMONIA!!! Turns out I ended up in the hospital for 13 days with DOUBLE pneumonia!!! :mad:

I would be worried about my baby just as you are Kim ... but you are now in a position financially to be able to offer him the best of care! I'm sure he will get his surgery and be all better soon!

(((BIG HUGS)))
Kim

Craftlady
01-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Kim ... I went through the same thing with my own personal physician a few years ago. I went to him feeling extremely sick, and told him I had been wheezing. He proceeded to examine me and point blank said to me "you're not wheezing"!!! :eek: Finally I asked in a sarcastic way for him to just prove me wrong with an x-ray. He responded, "my, we are testy today!" to which I replied, "NO doctor, I am SICK!" As it turned out, he had to eat his words when he read the Xray and saw I had PNEUMONIA!!! Turns out I ended up in the hospital for 13 days with DOUBLE pneumonia!!! :mad:

I would be worried about my baby just as you are Kim ... but you are now in a position financially to be able to offer him the best of care! I'm sure he will get his surgery and be all better soon!

(((BIG HUGS)))
Kim

I hope you found a new doctor after that incident.

catmandu
01-09-2006, 12:54 PM
Thats a shame that you have to deal with someone that is so unpleasant,especially when the life of a Family Member,is on the line.
I really dislike it when People bring thier Bad Attitudes to thier Workplace.

Glacier
01-09-2006, 03:14 PM
I simply cannot get mad at him for peeing on the couch (someone has also pooped on the carpet outside the box twice this week) IF he is the outsiude the box culprit, I simply cannot be mad at him.

I felt the same way when Pete was struggling with this same illness. He developed a preference for peeing in the laundry baskets. Clean laundry prefered. I told myself as I rewashed the clothes(we have water delivered to our house so water is a precious thing around here) that at least Pete could pee.

I hope Pouncer will be home soon. A stone would certainly explain his symptoms.

lv4dogs
01-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Pouncer & you are in our thoughts & prayers. hugs

jazzcat
01-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Sending lots of good thoughts and vibes Pouncer's way.

(((HUGS))) for you Kim!

orangemm
01-09-2006, 05:46 PM
I'm so sorry Pouncer had to see the "other" vet (I thought all vets were compassionate and caring?) and had to stay. I'll be sending good vibes his way tonight. Poor boy must not be happy at all. :( :(

special purrs and headbumpies to you Pouncer...and hugs to your caring and loving meowmie!

Craftlady
01-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Keeping good thoughts and prayers for Pouncers speedy recovery.

Catty1
01-09-2006, 07:33 PM
hon - that's the good news - they found SOMETHING...instead of not knowing!

It does sound like a stone...keeping my fingers crossed.

And people like Dr B...you know, you go by a playground and there's all the little kids laughing and playing...and then some turn out like Dr B.

I just wonder why people like her are so UNHAPPY. Few people make a list of 'nasties' to do every morning.

Maybe SHE was fostered in bad homes - and we know what that can do!

Hey - you did the absolutely right thing! Good for you for insisting on that x-ray!

I just wonder about people like her. Has anyone ever asked her about her family, where she's from, stuff like that?

That can floor nasty people - a genuine interest like that! LOL

Prayers for Pouncer!

hugs
Catty1

catnapper
01-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Finally got hold of the vet. They have had him since 10:30 this morning. He had an empty bladder when they got him. They put him in a cage, fed him and gave him fluids. As of 6:30 this evening, he still has not peed. Not even one itty bitty droplet. :( :( :(

Good news is that I talked to our director tonight and explained my concerns of Dr. B. She agreed about Dr. B... so I get to take him back to my vet tomorrow! AND my vet agreed to charge the rescue!!

Of course now the director is scared of just how much this will cost. :o I don't think she fully understood his problem when I spoke to her last night. I think she was thinking it simply would require meds and send him on his merry way. When I told her tonight that he has not peed for the vet the at all today, she was distressed to say the least. She was upset that nobody called either one of us and told us that he's been there and hasn't peed. She's now scared (as am I) that they would all go home and leave him there without having peed. I would hope they'd put a catheter on him before going home just in case :confused: Wouldn't that make sense? If you were a vet with a patient that has a history of crystals, and an Xray showing a possible stone, don't you think if he didn't pee allll day that you'd worry that he would block completely overnight? Wouldn't you take precautons to protect that patient?

Oh man, I forsee another sleepless night for me. :(

rg_girlca
01-09-2006, 09:17 PM
Oh Kim, I am so sorry to hear that Pouncer is not well and that you had to land up with Dr. B.

Sending prayers and positive thoughts to Pouncer that all will be well with him very soon.

((((((HUGS)))))) for you Kim.

Pembroke_Corgi
01-09-2006, 10:14 PM
I'm very sorry to hear about your cat! I hope Pouncer will get better. I'll be thinking of your kitty and hoping for the best.

kimboe
01-09-2006, 10:36 PM
I hope pouncer will be alright and get better soon. Sending prayers

Catty1
01-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Is there a vet after-hours number you could call? So someone could check on Pouncer and give him a catheter if necessary? Does your 'good' vet work after-hours?

Hon, might be worth checking!!!

hugs
Catty1

krazyaboutkatz
01-09-2006, 11:56 PM
Kim, I'm so sorry that you had to deal with the dreaded Dr. B. :( I'm sure that the mass that was seen on the x-ray is a stone so please try not to worry too much. I'm glad that you'll be able to go to your vet tomorrow and hopefully he'll be able to help poor Pouncer. I would also think that they'd catheterize Pouncer because of his history of crystals and the possiblilty of a stone. Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Kirsten
01-10-2006, 12:29 AM
If you were a vet with a patient that has a history of crystals, and an Xray showing a possible stone, don't you think if he didn't pee allll day that you'd worry that he would block completely overnight? Wouldn't you take precautons to protect that patient?

Oh Kim, why don't they help him??? :( :( :(

I'm no vet of course, but it looks to me like he's definitely blocked! At least they should take another x-ray to see if the bladder is full!!

Kirsten

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-10-2006, 03:31 AM
I'm so sorry for Pouncer....! It is horrible when doc refuse to do some tests, just because they think they know best :mad:
2 years ago, a doctor refused to give me a very important injection; he said I didn't need it.... :rolleyes: . 2 months later I met him again when I was in hospital for major back surgery. I asked him "Well, still thinking I didn't need that shot??". He turned around and walked away :mad: :mad:

Good luck Pouncer!! I hope you will be helped soon!

Sara luvs her Tinky
01-10-2006, 06:11 AM
Poor Pouncer and poor you!!!

I hope this all gets resolved soon!!!

GET WELL SOON POUNCER.... Your mommy is so worried about you.

Poo
01-10-2006, 07:07 AM
Poor Pouncer, i hope he improves real soon. (((hugs))) to you Kim, it's so hard when one of your babies is not well.

Nicki x

catnapper
01-10-2006, 05:39 PM
Well, he's home. He apparently has been peeing on his own perfectly fine all day today. :confused:

My vet took Xrays on her own because Dr. B's were so terribly bad. They said they do NOT see stones on the new Xrays. The urinalysis showed no crystals at all, but still showed some blood. They DO see a spot, but aren't sure what it is, or what it means. They want to do a test where they inject dye into his bladder to determine the thickness of the lining and whether or not stones are present. Of course, I heard the "spot but we don't know what it is" part and asked about it being a tumor, and she did admit its POSSIBLE :( but she did NOT feel anything like that when she palpitated his belly. She thinks he merely has a really bad case of chronic cystitis, so in the meantime we're going to do the wait and see thing and try a series of meds to reduce the inflmation.

I have meds (Clavamox, Pred, and Phenoxybenzamine -- say that one 10 times fast! :eek: ) to give him twice a day for the next 2 weeks, then we return for a recheck. Then based on the urinalysis at that time we will extend the meds for another two weeks, until we hit 6 weeks and no improvement. If at that point he's still straining and still has blood in his urine, we'll do the dye in the bladder test.

Its going to be a looong few weeks. :(

kb2yjx
01-10-2006, 05:59 PM
Glad to hear that Pouncer is home and peeing! However, I agree with you that it will be a looong couple of weeks until they can do that test. Will keep Pouncer in prayers that all that is found is that he has chronic cystitis and nothing more!!! Will keep you in my prayers, too!!!

K & L
01-10-2006, 06:28 PM
Boy can I relate only we don't have ours home yet. :( Sure hope this clears up for both of us soon!

Craftlady
01-10-2006, 07:06 PM
I dont envy you with giving the 2x a day with 3 meds.
Will keep good thoughts and prayers that these meds to the trick and clear things up.

catnapper
01-10-2006, 07:18 PM
I dont envy you with giving the 2x a day with 3 meds.

Luckily, Pouncer is the dream cat to medicate. I open mouth, insert pill. shut mouth. He swallows and is on his way. :D

Now trying to medicate Allen, Flutter, and Abby? Fuggetabouttit! :p

jenluckenbach
01-10-2006, 07:23 PM
Luckily, Pouncer is the dream cat to medicate.
Of course he is!! Have you forgotten who his foster mama was?????? :p

This is going to be an incredibly LOOOOOOOONG 6 weeks.

kimlovescats
01-10-2006, 07:29 PM
Welcome Home, Pouncer! :D Kim, I'm sure that he just has had a really bad chronic infection like your vet said .. and this new medication will help him a whole bunch! ;)

Catty1
01-10-2006, 09:26 PM
Pouncer the Pilled! But sounds like you are on the way to healing!

What a good boy you are with your meds!

Am SO happy Pouncer is home and peeing!

(Boy, us and cats, huh? LOL)

Catty1

jazzcat
01-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Get well soon Pouncer.

Hope the meds do the trick!

AlleyCat
01-10-2006, 11:16 PM
I can surely relate !! Hope everything clears up with Pouncer and that everything turns out okay when you have more tests later on. Lucky you can medicate yours so easily -- all 4 of mine are what you said -- "fudggettaboutit!" LOL

krazyaboutkatz
01-10-2006, 11:53 PM
Kim, I'm glad to hear that Pouncer is home and able to pee on his own. Hopefully the meds will work so he won't have to have the bladder test. I'm also glad to hear that he's easy to medicate. Please continue to keep us updated. (((HUGS)))

orangemm
01-11-2006, 04:50 AM
I'm glad he's home where he belongs and that he is good about taking pills. Let's hope these do the trick and that the weeks fly by for you! :D

kb2yjx
01-11-2006, 01:26 PM
Hope Pouncer is having a good day!!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Oh no, not Pouncer again.... :( I sure hope all the meds do their stuff and he is over this once and for all!

Pembroke_Corgi
01-11-2006, 06:21 PM
I hope he gets well soon!

Sara luvs her Tinky
01-12-2006, 05:55 AM
OH Pouncer I'm glad you're home!!!

It will probably make him feel a lot better to be home and in his familiar surroundings.

Be a good boy Pouncer. I hope you are feeling all better real soon. I wish I could give you a BIG HUG in person... You are such a sweet kitty!

Laura's Babies
01-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Kim, I just sit here reading this thread and shake my head! I can not believe what you have been through with this boy! Let's hope the meds do their trick and he gets back to normal(?)!

furrykidsmother
01-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Hope the meds do the trick and that he is well soon! Good thoughts to both of you!