PDA

View Full Version : Misty is in the hospital

Stenograsaurus
04-08-2002, 04:20 PM
Please pray for Misty. Do you remember back in late January we had a problem with Misty? (See what could be wrong with Misty under cat health). Well, the problem returned. So I called another vet and MIsty's appointment was today. They ran blood tests and got the results back within 15 minutes. Misty is in kidney failure. My choices were put her down or to put her on an IV and flush her kidneys out. I chose the IV treatment (that's what credit cards are for, right?). They are going to try it for three days and see if there is any improvement. If there is no improvement, then Misty will have to be put down. She's too weak to handle anesthesia, so they can't put her under to do anything exploratory to see what the main problem could be. I'm so upset right now. Please pray that she will pull through this. Thanks.

jennifert
04-08-2002, 04:22 PM
I's so so so very sorry. :( I hope Misty pulls through for you. I will be thinking of you and keep you in my prayers.

Jennifer

Edwina's Secretary
04-08-2002, 04:27 PM
Oh, I am soooo very sorry. Godspeed to Misty.

momoffuzzyfaces
04-08-2002, 04:30 PM
Prayers are on the way for Misty from me too.:(

AmberLee
04-08-2002, 04:39 PM
Ooooh! :( Prayers and good wishes coming from us, too. {{{Misty and her mommy}}} Hang in there.

Fingers and paws crossed, too. Keep us updated when you get a chance, okay?

lynnestankard
04-08-2002, 04:44 PM
Oh no - prayers and thoughts with you and Misty. X X X X

Lynne

Randi
04-08-2002, 04:58 PM
Oh, poor Misty - and you!! Prayers on the way from Denmark too
- and keeping all fingers and paws crossed!

Fister & his mum

LoudLou
04-08-2002, 05:42 PM
OH NO! Poor Misty! We will keep all fingers and paws crossed! Please get well soon.

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-08-2002, 06:20 PM
We will be praying for you too Misty and Mom. Get well soon!!

tatsxxx11
04-08-2002, 06:35 PM
Oh no, I, this is very sad news...:( But Steno, my Fritz (RB) was diagnosed with kidney failure. I opted for the subcutaneous IV therapy and we were lucky to have him with with us for a quite a while, comfortable and stable and happy. I will be praying with all my might for precious Misty. All of my family will be. Bless you little Misty. Hang in there sweet girl. Love, Sandra

Stenograsaurus
04-08-2002, 07:43 PM
Thank you all for your replies. Sandy, you post made me feel a lot better about my decision. They just called me about 15 minutes ago and said that Misty is hanging out in the back of her cage pretending that she's not there. We're going to go visit her tomorrow. They're going to do another test Wednesday morning to see if her numbers dropped any. I'll keep you posted.

It's very strange being able to type this whole post without having to move her off the keyboard and delete all the funny letters she typed in while walking on it. :(

AmberLee
04-08-2002, 07:57 PM
Awwww. {{{Stenograsaurus; Misty}}} :(

Lachesis
04-08-2002, 08:34 PM
Im thinking of your baby ((((Misty))))) I hope the flushing works for her....

Former User
04-09-2002, 02:10 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Misty, poor girl! Lots of good vibes on the way from Blegium, hopefully Misty will be okay soon! Keep us updated!

((((((((((((Misty+family)))))))))))))

Gio
04-09-2002, 04:21 AM
I'm so sad to hear this. I will pray for Misty too. :(

sirocco
04-09-2002, 04:36 AM
I'll keep you and Misty in my prayers.
All your extra-care and the IV therapy should work, please keep us updated..

{{{{Misty and her Mom}}}}

Nita

purrley
04-09-2002, 06:44 AM
Prayers galore to little Misty -poor baby hope she'll pull through this - she's obviously loved so very much.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-09-2002, 10:57 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about Misty! :( Tubby can relate because his kidneys aren't working their best either, so he says to give Misty lots of extra nose kisses, and big hugs to you.

We'll be keeping Misty in our thoughts and hope everything goes well.

Logan
04-09-2002, 12:42 PM
I missed this post yesterday. Beth, we will keep Misty in our prayers. I do hope she will perk up with the iv and feel like coming back home. :)

jennifert
04-09-2002, 02:26 PM
How is Misty today?

tatsxxx11
04-09-2002, 03:26 PM
We're thinking of you dear Misty, and your Mommy. We are holding you close, in our thoughts and in our prayers daily. Please feel the love and hugs coming your way. Get well soon, precious Misty.

Stenograsaurus
04-09-2002, 07:45 PM
Misty is doing pretty good. I went in to see her today and was surprised at the difference in her eye color. Her skin was hanging on her, which it had not before. I guess once she started to become hydrated, the skin came back. She was severely dehydrated. I am so thankful I did not go back to the old vet and went to a new one. The old one wouldn't have done all of this for her. Misty had an appetite. When I was there, she used the litter box and missed it and it went all over her blanket. I told one of the girls there so she took out the blanket and gave her a new one and cleaned out her litter box. She didn't put the pellets in, she put regular clumping litter in. Misty started eating it and she growled at me when I tried to pull her away from it. I told the girl there so she fed her and Misty ate all of it. I just sat there staring and thinking of how good it felt to see her with an appetite. I am pretty sure she will be coming home with me tomorrow. I think she's going to pull through this one. She has to, she has all of Pet Talk behind her. ;)
Thanks guys

Logan
04-09-2002, 07:50 PM
What a wonderful report. Thank you for the update.....I do hope your girl gets to go home with you tomorrow. I think you're getting ready to turn into a nurse!!!! :) Kiss her for us when you see her next.

Logan

AmberLee
04-09-2002, 08:23 PM
Keep on taking baby steps of progress, Misty! We're rooting for you to be able to go home tomorrow.

**hugs, you special girl!!!**

yorkster
04-10-2002, 12:25 AM
Ooh, I missed this too yesterday.............and I am so sorry to hear your Misty is sick, but also glad to hear she seems better today!
Please know that we are all thinking of you and praying for Misty.
Please keep us posted on her condition!

lynnestankard
04-10-2002, 05:55 AM
What wonderfull news Steno., she sounds much better - I'm so pleased - could she possibly stand a couple of very soft nose kisses xx. Still in my thoughts and prayers.
{{{{{{Misty & Mummy}}}}}}}

Love Lynne

purrley
04-10-2002, 07:11 AM
Wonderful News!!!! I'm praying with all my might your little Misty will pull through. You're an angel Steno for giving her this chance to get well. So many other people would have just given up and put her down. God Bless you and your Misty:)

Former User
04-10-2002, 07:21 AM
Great to hear Misty having appetite! Sending more good vibes from Belgium

(((((((Misty)))))))))))

04-10-2002, 09:22 AM
Oh , me too , I missed this post yesterday !!!
Like Casper an Kitty , I also live in Belgium . SO with the extra vibes and prayers from the same country , misty will surely recover !!!! :) :D !!! I wish you all the luck possible with her !!

sasvermont
04-10-2002, 09:46 AM
Misty, you go girl! ;)

:D

Gio
04-10-2002, 10:02 AM
I'm so happy that Misty is feeling better! :D :D :D

Randi
04-10-2002, 10:14 AM
So glad to hear dear Misty has eaten today and is feeling better!! Really hope she'll be able to go home with you! :) We'll send good vibes to your both!! :D :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-10-2002, 10:25 AM
Oh I'm soooo happy Misty is feeling better. Eating and drinking are very important to helping her get better, so I'm glad she's doing both again.

Please give her hugs and nose kisses for me when you finally get to hold her.

Stenograsaurus
04-10-2002, 06:16 PM
I hate to have to report that at 10:15 today Misty went to Rainbow Bridge to play with Kilo and await my arrival. The Vets office called at 8:30 today to report that the numbers were worse than Monday, which was very surprising since she was doing so well yesterday. She said that if Misty came home, it would only be a matter of days until she started suffering the effects of the kidneys failing. I said that I did not want my girl to hurt so I got ready and went to the Vets. I held her in my arms, gave her a bunch of kisses from everyone. While she was purring, she was put to sleep. The last words she heard were me saying "I love you". The tears are flowing now. I'll miss her so much. Misty, I'll see you on the other side.

momoffuzzyfaces
04-10-2002, 06:25 PM
My heart is breaking for you. I was so hoping for a miracle for Misty and you. She is in no pain now and playing happily at the Rainbow Bridge. I'm crying with you. Sometimes love hurts so much but where would we be without it? You and your family are in my prayers.

Cinder & Smoke
04-10-2002, 06:35 PM
Dear Steno ~

So very sorry that Misty lost the battle :(.

Take comfort knowing that you didn't make her suffer through an illness she couldn't overcome.

We'll light the Monday Candle in Memory of Misty.

Logan
04-10-2002, 06:48 PM
I was so in hopes of hearng that she was coming home tomorrow, Beth. I'm so glad she perked up and had a good day yesterday! And that you got to see her like that. Bless her sweet heart, and yours. I hope your daughter is handling it ok. Little children tend to react at first, at least Helen always did, then get past it very quickly. I hope your daughter will be no exception.

Please know that we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Logan and Helen

tatsxxx11
04-10-2002, 06:59 PM
Dear Beth. Oh no. I am so very sorry. I was so encouraged by your report of yesterday. I am crying with you too. But I know she must have been very comforted to hear your loving words as she left for the Bridge. You are a very loving and compassionate furmom. I too will be thinking of your little girl. Bless you precious Misty. Please look for Lizzy and Chessa and Tuna and Fritz. They will show you the way. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Beth. Love, Sandra

TheAntiPam
04-10-2002, 07:35 PM
Even though we "own" them, they truly own our hearts.

I'm very sorry that Misty couldn't overcome this battle. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

AmberLee
04-10-2002, 08:43 PM
{{{Beth, Misty, and all the hurting family}}},

I'm so sorry to hear that your darling Misty has gone ahead to the Rainbow Bridge right now. :( :( Somehow it always seems too early. I'm misting up in sympathy right now. My thoughts and prayers are with you. It was right that she not have to suffer any more. It was also a treasure that the last words she heard were "I love you". Our hearts go out to you.

LoudLou
04-10-2002, 09:45 PM
Beth- I am so saddened for your loss of Misty. We all grieve with you and your family. Prayers and Hugs to you and your family during this difficult time.

4 feline house
04-10-2002, 10:49 PM
Dear Misty, if you get frightened up there at the bridge, Zebo and the first Cookie, who are at the bridge for the same reason you are, will help you along.

And when your mommy gets sad down here, all us Pet Talkers are here to help her along. We just wish we could do more to help ease her pain. The cost of loving so much can seem cruelly high when the time comes to say goodbye.

(((((Beth)))))))

Karen
04-10-2002, 11:17 PM
With a name like Misty, you know
That one those soft mornings
When fog lines the rolling hills,
We'll think Misty, and you'll be there.

When we wake so early on a dewcoated morning
We'll think Misty, and you'll be there.

When at a sad movie, and eyes begin to well,
We'll say they're misty,
And you'll be there.

And curled up tight
In a corner of her heart,
Into one of those spaces
That only mist could seep into,
You, dear Misty, will always
Be there.

Rainbows are mist with sunlight added
You, dear Misty, play with rainbows
They're your element, dear,
And when we see mist, or dew, tears or Rainbows,
You'll be there.

04-11-2002, 01:07 AM
:confused: oh Misty , how sorry I am te hear that you didn't survive ...; It makes me so very sad ...

Have a wonderful new life at the rainbow bridge !!!

Former User
04-11-2002, 02:13 AM
Oh no :( :( Beth, I am so sorry... This is so very sad...

(((((((Beth + family)))))))

lynnestankard
04-11-2002, 02:27 AM
Dear Beth I'm so very sorry that Misty didn't make it - I'm crying as I write and know that my thoughts are with you - it's so very hard to say Goodbye and let them go. You were such a good mummy and at Rainbow Bridge she knows that. No more pain for the sweet girl. Just think she's playing with all our R/B babies and getting so much attention and love from them all.
{{{{{{{Beth and Family}}}}} xxxxx

Love Lynne

sirocco
04-11-2002, 03:43 AM
My eyes are in tears - but I know the memory of Misty will remain with you and still bring you happy moments.

Misty and you are in my prayers.

Nita

purrley
04-11-2002, 07:05 AM
I'm so very, very sorry. My heart is hurting and the tears are flowing. May God be with you and comfort you and you will know that your Misty will always be alive in your heart and happy at the Bridge. My thoughts and prayers are with you. God Bless!!!!

Randi
04-11-2002, 09:37 AM
Dear Beth! I'm crying with you - it's so sad that sweet Misty had to go! :( But I'm glad that she was feeling better yesterday and that you let her go at the right time and was there with her. Now, she won't suffer anymore - and she'll soon be playing with her new friends at RB.

Prayers and hugs to you and your family in this difficult time! :)

sasvermont
04-11-2002, 10:10 AM
Well Misty girl has gone. How very very sad. I am glad she was in your arms when she was put down. I have always done that with my cats too. It is wonderful to have that opportunity. Not everyone has that with their pet(s).

I am sure you will be sad for a long time. We all must go through this and it is never easy.

No more pain or discomfort for Misty. May she rest in peace.

(((((((((((((((((((Misty's family))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

jennifert
04-11-2002, 10:15 AM
I'm so so very sorry about Misty. I am sitting here at work crying also. You sounded so hopeful in your first post and when I read it I was so excited. Reading about her passing made my heart break for you.

My deepest sympathy,

Jennifer

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-11-2002, 11:06 AM
I'm so, so sorry to hear about Misty. :( :( :(

I, too, was so hopeful after your good report. I had even thought of somethings my vet told me about kidney failure that I was going to pass on today to help Misty when she came home. :(

I'm so glad you got to hold her and she was happy and content as she left us.

Rest in Peace Misty.

(Beautiful poem Karen)

mruffruff
04-11-2002, 03:17 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Misty.

They really never leave us, even when they're gone. You'll always keep her in your heart.

Mary

anna_66
04-11-2002, 06:27 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, I don't usually look on the pet board, so I didn't see it until today.:(

krazyaboutkatz
04-12-2002, 12:49 AM
I'm so very sorry about Misty. I didn't find out until today. I don't know what I'd do if I lost one of my furbabies.:(

Stenograsaurus
04-12-2002, 03:00 PM
Thank you all for your support and comfort during this difficult time. I am on vacation right now. I left Thursday morning and I'm in New York visiting family. I don't want to take up a lot of time on their computer so I'll type more when I'm back home using my own. I just wanted you all to know how much I appreciate all of you.

Ila
04-12-2002, 05:16 PM
Oh my I am so sorry. We will pray for you to have strength. It is hard to see a very precious pet in so much pain. We have lost one precious to us 5 yrs.ago Samantha she was almost 14 we know what your going through. A huge hug to you!! :)

Stenograsaurus
04-14-2002, 07:06 PM
Well, I'm back home. Thank you everyone for your kind words and support. You all brought tears to my eyes. It's nice to have you all. It was wierd coming home and having all the animals greet me. There was Patience and Dakota (dogs), but no Misty. It's wierd not having her on my lap every time I sit down. Her son, Fawn, was crying. He misses his mommy. I'm a little worried about him now. I don't know what caused Misty's kidney failure. If it was kidney disease, that's hereditery. Misty was eight and Fawn is seven. I'm going to have bloodwork done on Fawn at his next check up to check his numbers. If the other vet did that, maybe this could have been caught early enough. I guess I'm in the anger and blame stage of the grieving process right now. I can't help but think if the other vet did blood work in January that this might have had a different outcome. But none of that brings her back. I just have to move on.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-16-2002, 03:15 PM
Yes, Steno, definitely have Fawn's blood checked - and a urine sample too.

Last summer I took Tubby in and was told he was in the beginning stages of kidney failure. The vet told me to give him 1/4 of a Pepcid everyday. Seems kitties get acidy stomachs too, and the Pepcid would help that which would keep him from throwing up so much which means his food would stay with him longer and he might gain some weight back. He had lost about 3 pounds before I finally took him in. But when I did research on Kidney failure, I found out that the Pepcid also helps by increasing the blood flow to the kidneys. It wouldn't reverse any damage that has already been done, but would slow down the progress of any more damage.

In Feb. when I took him back for his 6 month check up, the doc said one of his numbers was the same, and the other had actually gone down! I was so excited to hear that he was doing well. :) The vet couldn't get a urine sample at the time, so he asked me to bring one in when I got a chance. Well, last weekend I was finally able to get one (fun, fun) and when they called back they said it looked good "for a cat with some compromised kidney function." When I got the message, I picked him up and gave him a bunch of smoochies (which he hates) to let him know how glad I was that I would have to put up with him for awhile yet. :)

My whole point here is that there are things they can do these days for kidney disease and failure, and it all starts with testing the blood and urine. I can't believe the other vet didn't do that with Misty either. 8 seems awfully young for kidney disease, but if it's hereditary.... The sooner they know about it the sooner they can deal with it, so yes, have Fawn checked.

And I know it might be kind of early yet, but since Fawn is missing his mom who was also a kitty friend in the house, you might want to look into getting another playmate for him. Even though the dogs are there, he might like another kitty to play with.

I know you're going through a tough time right now, but just know that we are all here for you, and Misty is waiting, without pain or discomfort, at the RB.

Cleocatra
04-16-2002, 07:50 PM
:( I'm very sorry to hear about your baby and hope and pray that the IV flush works for her. I'll be thinking of her, and you. God bless.