PDA

View Full Version : Any info on Yorkies?

griffinchet
01-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Does any one have info on them?

Suki Wingy
01-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Other than the bare you should have done before you got one, no. Here is some bare starter info though.
Remember they are still very much terriers and will give you that terrier attitude.
I just found these on google.
http://www.ytca.org/faq.html
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/yorkshireterrier.htm

The Yorkshire Terrier seems oblivious of its small size. It is ever eager for adventure and trouble. This little dog is highly energetic, brave, loyal and clever. Affectionate with its master, but sometimes suspicious of strangers. It can be aggressive to strange dogs and small animals. In other words, it has true Terrier heritage. They do best with older, considerate children. Yorkies are easy to train, although they can sometimes be stubborn. The breed is demanding and dependant and needs a lot of human attention. The Yorkie is an excellent watchdog, defending its territory in no uncertain manner. They can get snappish if surprised, frightened or over-teased, but are usually very sweet and loving. They can be difficult to housebreak. These little dogs should not be over-protected, for they may become neurotic. The Yorkie likes to bark, but it can easily be taught not to do so.

griffinchet
01-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Other than the bare you should have done before you got one, no. Here is some bare starter info though.
Remember they are still very much terriers and will give you that terrier attitude.
I just found these on google.
http://www.ytca.org/faq.html
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/yorkshireterrier.htm

I know all this ,and for your info I did research this before I got one. I was not asking for the smart comment I sensed when I seen what you typed. I am aware on their background,color,hair etc. I wanted to know who owns one ,and who are aware of their behavior. I wish not to continue this message so Next>>>>>

Suki Wingy
01-08-2006, 09:03 PM
"Does anyone have any info" is not clear that you want to know if anyone else has one.

griffinchet
01-08-2006, 09:29 PM
"Does anyone have any info" is not clear that you want to know if anyone else has one.

Well it could have been a wide spread you are right. But I was not looking to get smart remarks just be to the point. Next in line. I am done typing with you.

Diamond-What this lady talking about. She needs to settle down dosen't she.

Karen
01-08-2006, 09:44 PM
I have known several Yorkies. They are a lot of dog in a small package! Lots of people around here have small dogs, as we're in a city. The Yorkie I have known have had very strong personalities, and need an owner who is able to maintain an upper hand, or they can be little tyrants!

Henry was my friend's Yorkie. They are an older couple, and Henry ruled the roost! When we went to their house, Henry would greet visitors at the door. When we'd inevitably gather in basically a circle to sit and chat, Henry would run over to me, look me square in the eye, and then hop right up into my lap at the merest invitation. He'd only stay for a few minutes before he'd hop off and go try another lap!

Sadly, Henry went blind suddenly, which happens to some Yorkies. He ended up not adjusting well to not seeing, and after the second time he misjudged the stairs and tumbled down them, he was rehomed to a nice lady whose apartment was all on one floor. My friends were very sad, but they felt awful about Henry getting hurt in their three-story Victorian. He is now ruling the roost in his new home!

griffinchet
01-08-2006, 09:54 PM
I have known several Yorkies. They are a lot of dog in a small package! Lots of people around here have small dogs, as we're in a city. The Yorkie I have known have had very strong personalities, and need an owner who is able to maintain an upper hand, or they can be little tyrants!

Henry was my friend's Yorkie. They are an older couple, and Henry ruled the roost! When we went to their house, Henry would greet visitors at the door. When we'd inevitably gather in basically a circle to sit and chat, Henry would run over to me, look me square in the eye, and then hop right up into my lap at the merest invitation. He'd only stay for a few minutes before he'd hop off and go try another lap!

Sadly, Henry went blind suddenly, which happens to some Yorkies. He ended up not adjusting well to not seeing, and after the second time he misjudged the stairs and tumbled down them, he was rehomed to a nice lady whose apartment was all on one floor. My friends were very sad, but they felt awful about Henry getting hurt in their three-story Victorian. He is now ruling the roost in his new home!

Lol @ Henry ruling the roost. I haven't read much about going blind ,but I read about the liver disease they get. I will keep her on regular check ups with the vet to make sure she dosen't get too ill or anything of that nature.

My Diamond loves to sit in laps ,and excuse my french she's a little male lover lol. (Diamond) "Hey". I am just kidding ,but she loves men.

IRescue452
01-08-2006, 10:21 PM
I have a friends whos mom breeds yorkies and airedales. The yorkies certainly do rule the roost. They are friendly dogs but don't mind snapping at you if you bother them. I'm one for testing a dogs temperment by rolling them on their bellies or examining their feet and I can hardly resist trying to get the better of these dogs. It all ends in a fun game or something and they don't remember that just seconds ago I tested their limits. I suggest you practice grooming, opening the mouth, and examining the toenails and feet so the pup gets used to it. A groomer and vet will appreciate that the dog doesn't snap at them. During play sessions you should sometimes roll the pup over on its belly and wait till it stops wiggling, then let go and praise, or hold the puppy in your arms like cradling a baby. She'll learn that being in these submissive positions is ok. My friend's yorkies are smart enough to know what they can get away with, and pretty easily trained. They allow their dogs to sleep on the kitchen table like cats, which I think can be gross. When I dog sit though can give a firm "off" an they know what to do. Same with barking, if the family actually wanted to stop the yapping, a firm "enough" would do it. In other words, firmness is good for a yorkie, or they'll work you over good.

griffinchet
01-08-2006, 10:31 PM
I have a friends whos mom breeds yorkies and airedales. The yorkies certainly do rule the roost. They are friendly dogs but don't mind snapping at you if you bother them. I'm one for testing a dogs temperment by rolling them on their bellies or examining their feet and I can hardly resist trying to get the better of these dogs. It all ends in a fun game or something and they don't remember that just seconds ago I tested their limits. I suggest you practice grooming, opening the mouth, and examining the toenails and feet so the pup gets used to it. A groomer and vet will appreciate that the dog doesn't snap at them. During play sessions you should sometimes roll the pup over on its belly and wait till it stops wiggling, then let go and praise, or hold the puppy in your arms like cradling a baby. She'll learn that being in these submissive positions is ok. My friend's yorkies are smart enough to know what they can get away with, and pretty easily trained. They allow their dogs to sleep on the kitchen table like cats, which I think can be gross. When I dog sit though can give a firm "off" an they know what to do. Same with barking, if the family actually wanted to stop the yapping, a firm "enough" would do it. In other words, firmness is good for a yorkie, or they'll work you over good.

They ceratinly will try to see how far they can get you to go until you say no. I am real firm with her ,because is not so she will not listen. Like already she learned how to sit. Sometimes when she sees people she gets over excited and will not sit for anything in the world. Thats where you have to get a little firm with her. Also she is such a loving thing. If you sleep in the same bed with her you can not move one bit as to she is all in your space like sleeping right under you. I love her though you get fond of her after seeing her. Yorkies which I have learned in this past week which I have had her are very quick learners. Over a weeks period she learned to sit,her name, and how to climb all those stairs. Shes amazing.