PDA

View Full Version : I need help

griffinchet
01-08-2006, 06:09 PM
My Yorkie is like 6mons old ,and she will not drink much water. Also when I put hard food in her bowl mixed with the doggy meat....She moves the hard food on the floor ,and picks out the wet food.

Any ideas on how I can get her to eat her hard food ,and get her to drink her water.

Also are pet carriers good ,because I was looking into buying a male carrying case. So that i will not have to leave her at home when i go to the mall. :confused:

Alysser
01-08-2006, 06:44 PM
She may just not like it. Or are you feeding her adult food? Since, she is only six months she should only eat the puppy formulas. But maybe she just doesn't like it. Expirement with other foods and if your using adult formula then change to puppy formula.

IRescue452
01-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Welcome. Your pup is adorable.
If you want her to eat hard food thats all you should give her. She might refuse to eat for a meal or two, but she'll get over this quickly when she realizes you aren't going to coddle her. If you have a set food schedule and only put the dish out for twenty minutes she'll develope a habit of eating the meals you give her right away. Dont give her many treats until she starts to eat her food consistently. Yorkies tend to have dental issues so hard foods are best. What brand are you giving her?
I think your pup would be better off at home than going to the mall with you. Soialization is good, but a crowded mall is a bit much at first. I personally don't like carrying cases, dogs should learn to walk rather than being carted everywhere. Does your mall allow dogs?

griffinchet
01-08-2006, 06:59 PM
She may just not like it. Or are you feeding her adult food? Since, she is only six months she should only eat the puppy formulas. But maybe she just doesn't like it. Expirement with other foods and if your using adult formula then change to puppy formula.

I feed her puppy formula ,and she is just not getting it well. I don' know Diamond is a hard to learn dog.

buttercup132
01-08-2006, 07:09 PM
I think your pup would be better off at home than going to the mall with you. Soialization is good, but a crowded mall is a bit much at first. I personally don't like carrying cases, dogs should learn to walk rather than being carted everywhere. Does your mall allow dogs?
i bring my bunny roxy to the mall with me all the time and when we go to stores(even if it says no pets we still try most places cant resist her adorable face lol) like zellers it says no pets but they all love her so they let her slip, but if they say she has to leave then i do, like in walmart

griffinchet
01-08-2006, 07:11 PM
i bring my bunny roxy to the mall with me all the time and when we go to stores(even if it says no pets we still try most places cant resist her adorable face lol) like zellers it says no pets but they all love her so they let her slip, but if they say she has to leave then i do, like in walmart

Oh I love to go to Bloomingdales with her. Even though she is a new baby me and Paris got a chance to socalize while our dogs played throughout the asile.

buttercup132
01-08-2006, 07:23 PM
if u start them early they will get more and more used to it

griffinchet
01-08-2006, 07:25 PM
if u start them early they will get more and more used to it
Thanks for your words of wisdom.

Diamond-You really know what you are talking about. You go lady!!!

BitsyNaceyDog
01-08-2006, 09:36 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk! I had a yorkie when I was a kid. They are great little dogs.

Canned dog food has a VERY high water content, so she probably isn't drinking a lot because she's getting a lot from her food. I also noticed in another thread that you said she's eating pedigree. Pedigree is a pretty low quality food, I'd suggest changing her to something better. Grocery store foods aren't the best, but if you are going to buy her food at the grocery store, go with either Iams or Purina O.N.E. Most pet store foods are a lot better quality (not all though). I'd suggest getting her off of the canned food (or pouches). The dry food is better for her teeth. Also little dogs tend to develop problems with their anal glands more often when on canned food.

Good luck with your little Diamond girl, she's a cutie.

griffinchet
01-08-2006, 09:50 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk! I had a yorkie when I was a kid. They are great little dogs.

Canned dog food has a VERY high water content, so she probably isn't drinking a lot because she's getting a lot from her food. I also noticed in another thread that you said she's eating pedigree. Pedigree is a pretty low quality food, I'd suggest changing her to something better. Grocery store foods aren't the best, but if you are going to buy her food at the grocery store, go with either Iams or Purina O.N.E. Most pet store foods are a lot better quality (not all though). I'd suggest getting her off of the canned food (or pouches). The dry food is better for her teeth. Also little dogs tend to develop problems with their anal glands more often when on canned food.

Good luck with your little Diamond girl, she's a cutie.

Thanks for the info. I had her on some specially made dog food from a little store ,but it got closed down. I started getting her some (man I can't remember that name) ,but her dry food is purina. I only bought that until I could find a better brand.