PDA

View Full Version : Question.

Roxyluvsme13
01-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Ok, So Lily just turned 12 weeks old. She's had her rabies shot, and 3 of the 4 distemper sets. She's like in perfect health,too. Ok, so is it okay to start taking her outside? My mom's afraid if we put her on the grass she could still catch something, so is it ok or not? I really need to know, because I know she loves being outside.

BC_MoM
01-07-2006, 11:08 AM
I would say it's alright... Unless you have little diseases running around your yard.

I wouldn't let her sniff any poop or pee, though. Just to be on the safe side.

Roxyluvsme13
01-07-2006, 11:09 AM
I would say it's alright... Unless you have little diseases running around your yard.
I dunno...She hasnt had her kennel cough vaccine here, and the vet said its common around here...I still dunno...She's been on pavement, but the grass im still a little afraid of.

caseysmom
01-07-2006, 11:20 AM
My vet told me not to take bubba outside for 4 months, I just took him in the backyard for potty.

Roxyluvsme13
01-07-2006, 11:22 AM
My vet told me not to take bubba outside for 4 months, I just took him in the backyard for potty.
Lily'll be 3 months old on the 13th, and I guees we'll just wait till she has EVERY single shot.(The vet hasnt said anything though :confused: )I still could probably take her out on the driveway. It semed to do no harm.

BC_MoM
01-07-2006, 11:32 AM

Really? :eek: I didn't know there was, like, an age thing suggestion for going outside..

Molly's approx. 4 months.. but I guess it's not as bad because it's the dead of winter here.

jackie
01-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Why don't you call the vets and ask?

When I Tito was a baby I couldn't take him out until he had all his shots.

animal_rescue
01-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Hmm whether the dogs have had shots or not we still take them in the backyard, we just don't walk them around.

Roxyluvsme13
01-07-2006, 11:58 AM
I dunno...I guess I'll just wait!

caseysmom
01-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Our Vet didn't want bubba exposed to other dogs or where other dogs had been until he had all 3 rounds of shots.

IRescue452
01-07-2006, 01:53 PM
It depends on location. Do you know of any dogs that had parvo or other diseases in your area? How about strays in the area: you can usually find out from your local shelter if a large number of strays show up with mange or heartworms. Honestly, in our area most people bring their pups to the park starting at 8 weeks. I started taking Autumn everywhere at 15 weeks when we got her. We don't have much for a pup to catch in our area. I've never heard of an incidence of a puppy catching anything from our area but our vet still says to wait until they've had all their shots. I think you should at least know your own backyard. I wouldn't want to paper train a puppy when the backyard is right there.
Now as for my own opinion on people being scared to take a puppy outside when there isn't any reason to believe there is disease in their backyard, I walk out of the room and laugh and then cry for the puppy.

Roxyluvsme13
01-07-2006, 02:38 PM
It depends on location. Do you know of any dogs that had parvo or other diseases in your area? How about strays in the area: you can usually find out from your local shelter if a large number of strays show up with mange or heartworms. Honestly, in our area most people bring their pups to the park starting at 8 weeks. I started taking Autumn everywhere at 15 weeks when we got her. We don't have much for a pup to catch in our area. I've never heard of an incidence of a puppy catching anything from our area but our vet still says to wait until they've had all their shots. I think you should at least know your own backyard. I wouldn't want to paper train a puppy when the backyard is right there.
Now as for my own opinion on people being scared to take a puppy outside when there isn't any reason to believe there is disease in their backyard, I walk out of the room and laugh and then cry for the puppy.
There's like a gazillion strays around here. Shes being puppy pad trained...and its going well, so we'll just wait