PDA

View Full Version : I need advice on a dog...

moosmom
01-07-2006, 07:49 AM
I didn't know where to put this so I posted it here.

First of all, NO, I didn't get a dog or am I thinking of getting a dog. It's about an idiotic pet owner with no consideration for his neighbors.

I fed the two girls (Midnight and Fluffy) when I left for work yesterday. I too a short cut over a small patch of grass on the side of our building. Well, I stepped in dog poo!!!!! They are by NO means small either!! :mad: In CT, it's a law that you clean up after your dog.

I know there's a guy two buildings down from me who owns a standard poodle and lets her free in the yard to potty. Last night I went out to my car and the dog was out sniffing around the garage that Midnight and Fluffy stay in next door. She started barking at me. Her owner popped his head out of his door to see what the commotion was. He said, "I hope she's not bothering you." I said no, but I was concerned since she was sniffing around the girl's refuge. He called her and she didn't come. What did he do??? He simply closed the door!!!

I was SO tempted to call animal control but didn't. So, what do I do? Do I put a note on his door complaining about the dog poo in OUR yard? Or simply take the long way around our building?? I'm also a little concerned about the girls. I know they can take care of themselves. But it's not right that he lets his dog out loose to poop in other people's yards.

Any advice??

caseysmom
01-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Dog poo should be cleaned up, it has toxins in it, sounds like you could say something to him and he might be responsive?

jackie
01-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Don't call animal control without speaking to the owner first.

Just tell him you would like that he supervises his dog when it is outside, and cleans up the poop.

king2005
01-07-2006, 12:49 PM
I completely agree with you, but the same goes for loose cats (the poo thing).

I say take photos of his dog pooping in your yard (if you can get a pic of it squatting it'll be great evidence). Give him 3 seperate warnings (different days).. then call animal control & show them the phots & tell them you warned him 3 days until you called them.. That should do the trick :)

Roxyluvsme13
01-07-2006, 03:14 PM
I completely agree with you, but the same goes for loose cats (the poo thing).

I say take photos of his dog pooping in your yard (if you can get a pic of it squatting it'll be great evidence). Give him 3 seperate warnings (different days).. then call animal control & show them the phots & tell them you warned him 3 days until you called them.. That should do the trick :)
That sounds like it would work.

moosmom
01-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Toni and Joe were around this morning cleaning up the girls shelter in the garage. Toni said it happened to her too. Only she went and talked to the guy. Obviously it didn't do any good.

I was going to round up all the poos in a plastic bag, hang it on his doorknob with a note. Think he might get the hint??

Roxyluvsme13
01-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Toni and Joe were around this morning cleaning up the girls shelter in the garage. Toni said it happened to her too. Only she went and talked to the guy. Obviously it didn't do any good.

I was going to round up all the poos in a plastic bag, hang it on his doorknob with a note. Think he might get the hint??
That sounds like a good idea! :D

Corinna
01-07-2006, 03:45 PM
Do what i did to an old neighbor get a copy of the dog laws highlight the poo issuse and add a note if you find it again on your yard you'll be forced to call the enforcement department ,and give it to him.
I never saw the dog or it's leavings again.

moosmom
01-07-2006, 05:15 PM
I don't like confrontations. So, I gathered up all the poops, put it in a plastic bag and stapled this note to it:

"Please clean up after your dog!! It's the law and I'm tired of stepping in it, especially since it's in MY yard and not yours!!!"

I tried to put it on their door knob, but noticed they were home (the dog started barking). So I waited till it was dark and threw the whole thing onto their deck. Hopefully they'll get the hint. If not, I'll leave one more note then call the authorities.

Cookiebaker
01-07-2006, 06:38 PM
As a dog owner, I find this thread kind of disturbing.

The best way to have peaceful neighbors is to BE peaceful. I would be so upset and so angry if my neighbors had an issue with me, and instead of coming to me, they went to the authorities first; and next thing I knew my pups were taken away from me. That is not fair to them.

And, if my neighbor came to me and explained that they had stepped in my dog's doo and it ruined their best pair of sneakers, and asked me nicely to please clean it up, I would totally respect their wishes.

An idea would be to take over some dog treats/toys, and explain that you love dogs, but hate their poo. Tell them you stepped in it, and it is very incovenient for you when you are in a hurry. And give them the benefit of the doubt, and time to get their act together.

moosmom
01-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Cookiebaker,

I don't mean to disturbe or piss anyone off. I love ALL animals. But this guy lets his dog out to roam free when it gets dark out. Toni has already talked to him once and it's obvious he doesn't care or he would've handled the situation a little better.

caseysmom
01-07-2006, 07:25 PM
Just remember everyone moosmom is not making this a dog/cat issue...this is a stupid person issue.