PDA

View Full Version : Winter riding

CarrieB
01-06-2006, 08:07 PM
Just wondering, but is it ok to ride your horse everyday in the winter? Or is that to much.. It doesn't snow here where I live.. maybe once a winter if we are VERY lucky so temperatures are in the mid 40s maybe 50s I havn't checked the weather in a while :). Last thing is how often should you give your horse a bath? Not just in winter but in general. Thanks!!

buttercup132
01-06-2006, 08:14 PM
as long as your warm then you can ride everyday. the horses love the winter way more then summer cuz the codl dosent really effect them and so they get alot more frisky and want to go go go. just watch out for ice patches(if you get those) you dont need to bath your horse very often but cooling it down after every ride in the summer (right up till october) is always good, thats what i did with the horse i part borded before my triggy boo came along, i dont know how the summer is going to be with him , it will be his forst with me, but even in the fall he sweat like a pig lol, his whole body would be like 10x darker

Toby's my baby
01-06-2006, 08:27 PM
You can ride everyday, just dont let them get really sweaty in the winter, because they can get sick. You dont need to cool them down with a bath or anything, just walk them around for a while. We dont give our horses baths at all during the winter, ever, just in the summer before horse shows :)

Miss Z
01-07-2006, 02:52 AM
Yes, your horse can wear and exercise blanket, which is just like a rug that covers the whole back and fits under the saddle. And just do plenty of warm up before you get fast, otherwise the horse could go lame. And when you get off, rub the horses ears and legs to restore circulation;)

buttercup132
01-07-2006, 08:42 AM
i think they should just invent leg warmers for horses :D