PDA

View Full Version : Lily went to the Vet Today!

Roxyluvsme13
01-05-2006, 05:15 PM
Well, the fuzzhead had to go get her 3rd set of shots, and her rabies shot. We went ahead and got her nails trimmed, too. She was such a good girl! Except when they looked in her ears. She did NOT like that one little bit!!! But other than that she was a very good girl. She now weighs a whole 2 pounds 11 ounces :D, and she's in very good health.

CathyBogart
01-06-2006, 01:24 AM
I'm glad to hear her trip to the white coats went well. :)

lv4dogs
01-06-2006, 08:56 AM
Thats great news!

Now Lilly, you've got to be a good girl & let them look at your ears. They are only trying to help.

If you practice looking at & cleaning (even if you just pretend to clean) her ears daily she should get used to it. PRAISE when she behaves like a good girl.

JenBKR
01-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Glad to hear that all went well - Roscoe doesn't much care for having his ears looked at either, but Sue is right. Practice it, and she'll get better. That was actually one of the things we had to do for Roscoe's obedience 'final,' and he did very well because we kept practicing ;)

Roxyluvsme13
01-06-2006, 02:08 PM
Thats great news!

Now Lilly, you've got to be a good girl & let them look at your ears. They are only trying to help.

If you practice looking at & cleaning (even if you just pretend to clean) her ears daily she should get used to it. PRAISE when she behaves like a good girl.
Yeah, I'm gona have to do that. Her rabies shot made her SO sore! Yesteday you couldnt even pick her up without her yelping, :( . She seems perfectly fine today though! She's chasing Skye, and running and romping around. :)

K9soul
01-06-2006, 02:11 PM
My vet does not give rabies shots that young. Nor any that I've heard of around here. They give first rabies usually around 6 months...

Roxyluvsme13
01-06-2006, 02:13 PM
My vet does not give rabies shots that young. Nor any that I've heard of around here. They give first rabies usually around 6 months...
They said they had to be 12 weeks before they got them, and so Lily was 12 weeks yesterday, and she got her little tag and everything. My mom's friend's dog, (also a Pom) got his at about 14 weeks. So apparently around here they give them sooner... :confused:

K9soul
01-06-2006, 02:20 PM
I just looked at Tash's health record to be sure and she was 5 months when she got rabies. But I do remember the vet saying to me that they didn't give it until later than the others.

Roxyluvsme13
01-06-2006, 02:22 PM
I just looked at Tash's health record to be sure and she was 5 months when she got rabies. But I do remember the vet saying to me that they didn't give it until later than the others.
Oh...Well what they told us was at least 12 weeks, and Lily has one more distemper booster after this one...

lv4dogs
01-06-2006, 02:23 PM
A few years ago it used to be that they can't get their Rabies vaccine until they are 6 months of age but it has been changed to 12 weeks for quite some time now, at least 2-3 years. Or at least it is like that in my area, not sure if it's like that everywhere, but I'm sure all most all places in the US are now 12 weeks.

Kaige got his when he was 12.5 weeks old.

Roxyluvsme13
01-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Oh..No clue when Rox got her first..but Lily got hers yesterday, like I said :).

K9soul
01-06-2006, 02:33 PM
A few years ago it used to be that they can't get their Rabies vaccine until they are 6 months of age but it has been changed to 12 weeks for quite some time now, at least 2-3 years. Or at least it is like that in my area, not sure if it's like that everywhere, but I'm sure all most all places in the US are now 12 weeks.

Well this was in 1999 and I haven't had a puppy since so I was mainly curious. I didn't know if they had a different shot now, changed the way they did it, or did it differently in different areas.

lv4dogs
01-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Well this was in 1999 and I haven't had a puppy since so I was mainly curious. I didn't know if they had a different shot now, changed the way they did it, or did it differently in different areas.

Hmmmm, I'm not sure. I do know that they give it in the same area & do it the same way.
I think it is the same exact vaccine (not 100% sure on that one though) but I do know it at least has a very similar name to the older rabies vaccine, but I really think it is the same exact stuff, I think they just re-searched it more & found out that it is safe to give to puppies.