PDA

View Full Version : My computer. :(

Kfamr
01-05-2006, 01:16 PM
Something has been messing up my computer on and off for a few months. It had been okay for like a week and then it started up again. I'm on the laptop right now but, I NEED my computer as it has photoshop and all of my pictures on it.

Whenever I open the internet it restarts itself.

Does anyone know what could be wrong?

ramanth
01-05-2006, 01:26 PM
I have no clue, but I hope your computer is fixed soon!

Muddy4paws
01-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Maybe try downloading a trial of system machanics and put it on a cd for the other computer, it fixed alot of bugs on my computer but it takes along time for the whole process but its worth it in the end, The trial is a full working version for 30 days.

K9soul
01-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Sounds like it could be a virus/worm or else some bad spyware. Can you run a virus scan and spyware scan on it? Ad Aware is a good one for spyware. I use the free version of AntiVir for virus scanning and it is a good virus detection program but you have to be able to get on the net to d/l it.

If all else fails can you put your pictures on a disk and perhaps take it in or have someone come look at it? Hope you are able to get some help. I know how nervewracking it can be to have computer problems.

Karen
01-05-2006, 03:01 PM
Yup - probably virus or spyware.

(I'm so glad I'm not on a PC.)

Lady's Human
01-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Definitely sounds like a virus. Spyware wouldn't shut down your internet connection, as that's what it needs to do it's work. (though there are some truly malicious forms of spyware that do that)

The problem is that there are viruses that will detect and block anti virus installers, but I'd at a minimum update the AV software and run a scan.

k9krazee
01-05-2006, 03:09 PM
The same exact thing kept happening to my computer, we deleted all the temporary internet files and the cookies and added some Spyware scan things, it has helped tremendously! Hope its up and running soon!

jenfer
01-05-2006, 03:18 PM
I feel your pain. My comp is in the shop right now. I wasn't able to get to my website unless I disabled norton firewall. ARg. According to the tech, it was INVADED and has viruses. So my guess is spyware &/or viruses. Good Luck!

Randi
01-05-2006, 03:18 PM
I'm so glad I'm not on a PC.
Me too! :)

Good luck solving it!

Jessika
01-06-2006, 10:57 PM
Definitely try to obtain a copy of an anti-virus scanning program and running it. If applicable I would suggest to open IE and then get FireFox and use that intead of IE but it seems like you can't even open IE without your comp restarting.

If anything else, if its NOT a virus, try reinstalling your browser or whatever you use to browse the internet.

Kfamr
01-06-2006, 11:11 PM
I've used FireFox and i've never liked it. I have Norton & Ad-Aware and both have come up empty in previous scans. Now, when I try to do anything on it, it restarts itself, so it's not just IE. I've never had a problem with IE in the past.

My brother bought me a 80GB harddrive and when he gets the chance we'll be moving all of my photos onto it and starting over. I already have 1 storage drive that is completely full. When we fix it I'm going to burn all of the pictures older than 2005 to CD's, and will be doing that every New Years to come. That's my resolution. ;)