PDA

View Full Version : Virus Warning – Zero Day Exploit

king2005
01-05-2006, 08:48 AM
A condition on the internet known as a “Zero Day Exploit” currently exists. This means that there is a known security vulnerability for which no patch exists. This vulnerability is associated with viewing pictures in Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer, and potentially other programs. A person could be infected by simply receiving a spam email or going to a website that has been compromised. Please note you do not have to open the picture to become infected.

As we monitor the situation, we may be put in a position where we temporarily “break” the ability to view pictures until a formal patch is released from Microsoft. At this point in time, Microsoft does not expect to have a patch prior to January 9th.

Some security measures have been put in place, but due to the serious and complex nature of this vulnerability we ask that you please take extra caution in your computing habits – avoid casual clicking on links sent to you in email if you are not sure of their source and refrain from casual internet browsing.

More information can be found at:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/912840.mspx (This link is safe to use)

Sharon King,

Mainframe Database Administrator
Aliant CTO
email: ***@***.**
phone: (***) ***-****

Sharon is my aunt from the east coast canada.. I *** out some of her personal info. I thought I'd share this incase people didn't know, as most to all of you guys use windows.

dukedogsmom
01-05-2006, 10:11 AM
I don't know how I got it but my computer got fried by it. My computer brother had to go in safe mode to remove it. He's not sure he got it because it won't boot up without a new windows xp cd which had to be ordered. I hope it can be fixed!

smokey the elder
01-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I know this is legit, and very alarming. Pictures used to be "safe".

Jessika
01-06-2006, 10:55 PM
This has been around FOREVER and well isn't new to me, anyway. That's another reason why I no longer use Internet Explorer and haven't for about two years now :)

ChrisH
01-07-2006, 08:14 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4587434.stm

If you have Windows Update auto enabled it will already have been downloaded for you.

Chris

p.s. I use Firefox too - and love it - but I still have to use IE occasionally and have the auto update enabled for exactly that reason.

Roxyluvsme13
01-07-2006, 08:17 AM
I dont like Firefox...but this has been around for like 2 years?

poofy
01-07-2006, 08:21 AM
The above link didnt work, I dont like fire fox either ;) .

Jessika
01-07-2006, 10:19 PM
I dont like Firefox...but this has been around for like 2 years?

Yes, this vulnerability has been around for a LONG time now unfortunately. Microsoft is very slow to fix things like this...

poofy
01-07-2006, 10:49 PM
I put a link in General where microsoft is said to have a Patch for it..
is this for it or something else???
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...2fms06-001.mspx

Almita
01-07-2006, 11:54 PM
i use Aol IE but still nothing has happened I haven't gotten anything and it has been around for two years

G535
01-08-2006, 12:01 AM
Yes, this vulnerability has been around for a LONG time now unfortunately. Microsoft is very slow to fix things like this...

That's the main reason I use Linux for the 'net machines. Now I realize not everyone wants to use Linux so education is the only answer for pc users. If everyone knew more about their pcs and how to prevent these things taking over then the internet would be safer for all. :)

smokey the elder
01-08-2006, 08:20 AM
2 years!? :eek: Boy do I feel stoopid. :p