PDA

View Full Version : Question on crating

JenBKR
01-04-2006, 08:34 AM
Well, looks like I am going to have to crate Roscoe. Houdini did it again. He got out of his room yet again and peed in the living room. I feel like I have no choice, even though I have been trying to avoid this. I have never crated before, so I have some questions. What size crate should I buy? (he's 93 lbs.). Is there a certain brand that I should try to get? When I first start crating him, should I start by putting him in there for short periods of time so he can get used to it? I think that's all of my questions for now, I'm sure I'll think of more later ;)

JenBKR
01-04-2006, 12:13 PM
Would this one work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-48-FOLDING-DOG-CRATE-CAGE-KENNEL-PET-DOGS-D4801_W0QQitemZ7735087474QQcategoryZ20745QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

Pembroke_Corgi
01-04-2006, 12:23 PM
If Roscoe is good at escaping, you might want to consider a crate with plastic sides (they have holes so they can see out and for ventilation). We used to have a crate like the one you posted for Adele when she was a puppy and she squeezed out of it (we have no idea how, as we weren't home) and cut her poor leg and had to get stitches. We got her current crate at Walmart for $60, and it's roomy enough for her to have some space and she's never escaped or gotten hurt. It's a large and she's only 50 lbs, so you might want an extra large for Roscoe.
Unfortunately she still has to be crated while we are gone, but my husband and I work from home so it's never for very long. I would suggest checking out some books on crate training, there's loads of good advice. Just remember to make it fun for him to be in there with praise and treats! Good luck to you and Roscoe! :)

JenBKR
01-04-2006, 12:36 PM
If Roscoe is good at escaping, you might want to consider a crate with plastic sides (they have holes so they can see out and for ventilation). We used to have a crate like the one you posted for Adele when she was a puppy and she squeezed out of it (we have no idea how, as we weren't home) and cut her poor leg and had to get stitches. We got her current crate at Walmart for $60, and it's roomy enough for her to have some space and she's never escaped or gotten hurt. It's a large and she's only 50 lbs, so you might want an extra large for Roscoe.
Unfortunately she still has to be crated while we are gone, but my husband and I work from home so it's never for very long. I would suggest checking out some books on crate training, there's loads of good advice. Just remember to make it fun for him to be in there with praise and treats! Good luck to you and Roscoe! :)

Oh yes he is an escape artist :rolleyes: I am really glad you said something. Is this one like what you are talking about?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4087836

lv4dogs
01-04-2006, 12:40 PM
That size crate should be fine for him but since he is such an escape atrist I would sorry about the structure of that crate. It doesn't seem that sturdy at all, and the price worries me even more about the quality of the crate, gosh you can't even find an old, dented, rusty crate that size for that price.

Since you don't how he'd re-act I think you'd be better off getting a drop pin one (one that has drop pins to hold the corners in place... it can still fold up if you remove the pins). They are more sturdy then just the fold & store ones. Or the plastic ones like Pem. Corgi mentioned.

I *think* it is Dr Foster & Smith that offers escape proof crates, and if remember right they are resonably priced & shipping was even free or at least no extra charge for oversized, over-weight items.

Midwest offers a wide selection of crates, I have one myself (and a couple midwest ferret cages). http://www.midwesthomes4pets.com/

As far as getting him used to it, yes it is best to slowly adjust him to the crate. Start off by keeping him in there for only 5-15 minutes at a time, but frequently. Feed him his meals in the crate if he seems nervous about it, it will help ease him into it better. ALWAYS make the crate a happy, fun, safe place to be, NEVER use the crate for punishment of any kind.
Slowly increase the amount of time you leave him in the crate.
NEVER let him out of the crate if he is whinning, acting wild & crazy, etc... Make sure he is quiet & calm, even if it is only for 15 seconds or so.

lv4dogs
01-04-2006, 12:42 PM
Oh yes he is an escape artist :rolleyes: I am really glad you said something. Is this one like what you are talking about?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4087836

No, thats a soft sided crate, VERY easy to chew, scratch through.

I think she's talking about something like these: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=1357&N=2001+113495

JenBKR
01-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Ahh, I see - that makes more sense. Thank you guys for your help - having never done this before I don't really know what is best. That one does look like it might work. Thanks!!

dab_20
01-04-2006, 01:32 PM
Everyone made good suggestions. Make sure you check it over so you don't get one with hooks on the top... Good Luck!

Pembroke_Corgi
01-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Oh yes he is an escape artist I am really glad you said something. Is this one like what you are talking about?

I was talking about the ones like lv4dogs linked to in the Foster & Smith web page. I didn't see any on the Walmart webpage, but I believe they still sell them in the store. But, you can find them anywhere. I'd just make sure it's sturdy without pins poking out and that the door cannot be pried or in anyway opened from the inside. Good luck!

JenBKR
01-04-2006, 03:05 PM
Thank you so much guys for the ideas! I'll be buying one soon, so if I have any other questions I'll be sure to ask :D