PDA

View Full Version : can you honestly belive this??

Flatcoatluver
01-03-2006, 09:33 PM
this is not to make anybody angry
click here (http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/view?&h=240&w=320&type=flash&rurl=abcnews.go.com%2FVideo%2FplayerIndex&vurl=abcnews.go.com%2FVideo%2FplayerIndex%3Fid%3D1 299435&back=p%3Dschizophrenia%26sp%3D1%26fr2%3Dsp-top%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fl%3D0%26cv%3Dg%26fr%3DFP-tab-vid-t%26SpellState%3Dn-3115928847_q-6GISsddvKJ8ewHP2TbVuxwABAA%40%40&turl=re2.mm-a1.yimg.com%2Fimage%2F1621716464&name=Do+Cats+Drive+You+Crazy%3F&no=17&tt=174&p=schizophrenia&dur=120&size=40.8MB&src=p&pld=775x500)
so I am doing a project on schizophrenia trying to find videos, and look what i got!!! I totally don't aggree with this!!!! but w/e I thoguht I would share

catnapper
01-03-2006, 09:36 PM
Its not loading for me :confused:

Flatcoatluver
01-03-2006, 09:38 PM
did you click on the pop up on the top that has a pic. and it says play video??
the page takes you to the video right away but that does not load, but at the top there is a white screen that ask you to play video, you want to click that, if that makes sence!!!

Jessika
01-03-2006, 09:46 PM
I don't think its all THAT ridiculous. They're not saying that CATS make you crazy but rather something in their feces, which is an entirely different story in my opinion. ;)

catmandu
01-04-2006, 08:26 AM
Oh My God,thats all the Cat Haters of the World need,is an excuse to tell Parents that Cats are bad for thier Young Children.
I think that ABC was somewhat irresponsible for airing this Loonie,and his opinions.
But then again,hes out to get me!
No hes not.
Oh Yes he is.

Miss Z
01-04-2006, 09:03 AM
I've read about this before, i think it was in national geographic. The protozoa that cats have in their bodies has been linked to blood samples from people with schizophrenia. However, they did say that nothing's really been proven, with a 52% risk of it, but they said you need over 200% to have solid evidence that cats and schizophrenia are linked. Anyway, cats can also calm mentally ill people, they are particularly good with people who have Alzheimers (or however you spell it:p ). I don't think that it means that everyone should stop keeping cats now.

catmandu
01-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Leave it to the Media to accentuate the Negative!

Killer Kitten
01-05-2006, 08:02 PM
The risk of contracting Toxoplasma is much higher in people who eat undercooked meat than in people who own cats.

I can't begin to count the number of tearful women who contact the shelter because they're pregnant and their doctor told them to 'get rid of the cat'. I always explain to them that it is not only harmless to keep their pet, they're better off at this time enjoying the release from stress that owning a pet can provide. That and it's a great excuse to hand off litterbox duties to Hubby for the next few months.

I also explain that as long as they're not in the habit of snacking from the litter box they are in no danger from their cat. Furthermore, their cat can be tested for Toxoplasma, a blood test to see if the cat has been exposed to it and a fecal test to determine if they are actively shedding the oocysts.

Doctors like to cover their butt, and journalists like to sensationalize. Smart people listen to what is said, then season it with a good dollop of common sense before swallowing it.

NoahsMommy
01-05-2006, 09:36 PM
I didn't see the film, but schizophrenia is genetic...

Laura's Babies
01-05-2006, 10:49 PM
It is also a good possiability that the air we breathe and the food we eat daily give us cancer, heart disease and a long list of other problems.

(Could I get on the news if I went public with that information?)

Sonia59
01-06-2006, 02:33 AM
Schizophrenia is partly genetic and partly environmental. What is said in this film is scientifically demonstrated, but they only say that having a cat increases the risk to get Toxoplasma.
But Gary is right, the way the media accentuate the negative is amazing!

And as Killer Kitten said, there are other ways to get Toxoplasma.

Everyday we eat things or do things that increase the risk to get a disease, an accident, etc. We can also get a disease by contact with humans... People who already don't like cats and animals will say cats are bad, and the other ones will certainly not get rid of their cats for this reason!

TopCat3
01-06-2006, 05:22 AM
I don't have the stats to hand, but can look them up.

One of the (if not the) biggest killer in America is iatrogenic disease- people killed in hospital by hospital related medication/incorrect medication/golden staph ...and on and on.

Suppressed news.

Not to mention Big Pharma prolonging conditions/creating side effect conditions with their poisonous medications, all the while claiming that natural supplements are ineffective/quack "pseudo-science" or dangerous. Oh and did I mention vaccinations?

Don't get me started.

I should discuss this in the Dog House.

But then maybe not.

Read "The Constant Gardener" by John le Carre and see the British movie now on general release.

If anyone is interested in more info PM me and I'll send you some links for further reading.

Rant over.

catmandu
01-07-2006, 08:51 AM
There is a far greater risk,if you do not disinfect your Kitchen Counters,than there will ever be from Cats.
Why are Cats always Scape Goats?
And how many people leave Meat thawed in the Fridge for over a day?
Another Big Risk.
Bah on ABC!!!

Tora Oni
01-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Yeah I got to see it. This is interesting case though I don't think that will be a big issue. Though it may make people think twice when getting a cat when they have children at young age. I also got to see some others on that sight. One was about a cat saving a guys life by calling 911.