PDA

View Full Version : Betta Help Plz!!

buttercup132
01-03-2006, 08:10 PM
i read on the petsmart acre sheet for bettas that you can put smaller fish in with a betta male and i was just wondering do you guys think it would be safe to add a algey eater? or would my betta attack it and kill it?

chrissycat21
01-03-2006, 08:29 PM
From what I have heard and past experience male bettas do better on their own then with other fish. Plus, if you are thinking of getting a pleco which is commonly sold as an algae eater, they grow over 18 inches in legnth and need a minimum (I beleive) of 65 gallons.

Alysser
01-03-2006, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't! Petco told me that these small fish got along with Male Bettas and we tried it and My Betta went crazy. He took off part of the tail and part of the fin! We had to go back and buy a whole new tank!

Flatcoatluver
01-03-2006, 09:12 PM
my mom had a male betta in a 100 gallon tank with tettras they never touched them, but its because there tanks our huge, thay have to have tons of space.

Jessika
01-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Male bettas can get along peacefully in a tank with other non-aggressive, non fin-nippers, and non-brightly colored fish that could be mistaken as another male betta.

Goldfish, mollies, tetras, platys (I think?), guppies and more are all more than compatible with being in a tank with a male betta :)

We have a fish compatibility chart at work and I can grab one tomorrow and give you a list of all compatible fish that Petco carries if you'd like!

EDIT: flatcoatluvr, its funny you mention space because its not space that's an issue when it comes to male betta aggressiveness. I watched a special where they did a test. They went to this large lake somewhere in Japan I think and had two male bettas they released into seperate ends of the lake. Within minutes they found each other and attacked one another.

Flatcoatluver
01-03-2006, 09:36 PM
EDIT: flatcoatluver, its funny you mention space because its not space that's an issue when it comes to male betta aggressiveness. I watched a special where they did a test. They went to this large lake somewhere in Japan I think and had two male bettas they released into seperate ends of the lake. Within minutes they found each other and attacked one another.
oh interesting!!! now that i think about it at school we have a 20 gallon that has feeder goldfish in it and a red male betta, so yeah it must have nothing to do with space!!! (he will chase the goldfish around and then the goldfish will chase him, it actually funny)

Jessika
01-03-2006, 09:38 PM
oh intesting!!! now that i thnk about it at school we have a 20 gallon that has feeder goldfish in it, so yeah it must have nothing to do with space!!!

Well some fish DO need more "personal" space than others. For example you can easily fit ten, maybe fifteen goldfish into a ten gallon tank but with other types such as mollies you aren't going to be able to fit near as many. But I get what you're saying! :)

I've been making it a point to learn more about fish and aquatics in general since I went back to PetCo because its my weak spot lol

Flatcoatluver
01-03-2006, 09:41 PM
Well some fish DO need more "personal" space than others. For example you can easily fit ten, maybe fifteen goldfish into a ten gallon tank but with other types such as mollies you aren't going to be able to fit near as many. But I get what you're saying! :)

I've been making it a point to learn more about fish and aquatics in general since I went back to PetCo because its my weak spot lol
when i work at petsmart chariteies, the petsmart manger really like my personality and intelligents of dog, and he told me to learn more about bird and rodents and then he wants me to apply.

Jessika
01-03-2006, 09:50 PM
when i work at petsmart chariteies, the petsmart manger really like my personality and intelligents of dog, and he told me to learn more about bird and rodents and then he wants me to apply.

GO FOR IT! I love working at PetCo and I can't imagine Petsmart being a WHOLE lot different! :) I LOVE my job and co-workers and managers and enjoy going to work every day!

Of course, managers and co-workers are luck-of-the-draw but the job itself is amazing