PDA

View Full Version : Professional?

Alysser
01-03-2006, 07:17 PM
I have a quick question about being a dog trainer. Is there a special school for that or do you go to any college to train? Do you have to like major in dogs or something? I'm sorry for all the stupid questions but this is something I would like to do when I grow up.

dab_20
01-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Same here!! or a vet. I would also love some info. :)

Alysser
01-03-2006, 07:39 PM
I think you go to college for four years and MAjor in animal medicine. Then go to Vet school :D

I_luv_rusty
01-03-2006, 07:49 PM
I'm uncertain about this. I would like to be like a dolphin trainer (like those people who train them, and swim with them, at like seaworld and all that)when I grow up, or like work in a horse stable. :)

This is all I could find. I think this is for begginers or something- http://www.k9-trainer.com/mdtc.html

Alysser
01-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Im guessing no one knows.... :(

Pembroke_Corgi
01-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Actually, I don't think you even need a bachelor's degree (although it's preferred) to be a vet. At Iowa State (one of the countries top programs) you just need pre-vet classes (I think it's about 1 1/2 -2 years of general classes like anatomy, biology, chemistry, etc.) before you enter the veterinary medicine program, which is another 2 years or so and you can be a DVM. I'm not sure about becoming a trainer, but I'm sure there are classes for that. I've never seen classes for becoming a dog trainer at a university before, but maybe there might be something with that at community college. I know you can become a groomer through a lot of them!
I think those would be great careers! I graduated from college last year and I somewhat regret not going into a career with animals. I'm applying to graduate school now, but if I don't get in, I decided I'm going back to become a vet (I just need to get over blood). Good luck whatever you decided to do. :)

Pembroke_Corgi
01-04-2006, 08:30 PM
Im guessing no one knows....
I think there is a member on PT who is becoming or is a trainer, her screen name is veegan. You could try asking her.

Alysser
01-04-2006, 08:42 PM
:D Thanks alot! I'll look it. I hope you get to be a vet!

.sarah
01-04-2006, 10:00 PM
I'm guessing you want to make money off of it? For that, I have no idea, but I have a friend who is a pro. trainer so I can ask next time I see her because I'm interested now! I only know how to become one for volunteer, which is what I'm going to do. I'm just joining a dog training club and I will take a few classes on training and will be teaching once I turn 18 (I *think* I have to be 18, but I'm not sure actually).

Alysser
01-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Well, not only that but I want to work with dogs. I can't think of any other job I would want. Its perfect. Being a vet isn't for me. It's when you have to put a pet down. So I wouldn't be able to handle it probably. :(

lv4dogs
01-05-2006, 01:51 PM
There are dog training schools, and if it's something that you truly want to do I would start now.
At least start off as an assistant or intern or the like. At least ask a reputable trainer in your area if you can sit in on classes because you would like all the experience you can get because that is what you want to do.

In order to really make a good $ out of it you need to be reputable, have refferals so like I said start AS EARLY as possible, start building up your knowledge & clientell now.
It is also a good idea to do the same with area breeders & local shows (even if it isn't obedience), a good trainer that makes money knows everything about every breed, all obedience commands (hand & vocal), knows all aspects of obedience showing, how breeders work & so on.

Good luck!

Miss Z
01-05-2006, 01:56 PM
I don't really know, but is there anywhere that you can gain experience in dog shows etc? I don't know if there are any dog shows around where you live, but here there are plenty of county shows and stuff in the summer, occasionally i've helped at horse shows as a groom (for a friend), and making sure that people know when it's time to enter the collecting ring. I saw people doing that kind of thing for the dog shows too. Just ask on the day, they're usually glad of help. The experience with dogs will be useful when you actually become a dog trainer:) but i'm no expert in this field, so i could have it all wrong:rolleyes:

k9krazee
01-05-2006, 02:14 PM
My Aunt is an agility trainer. She made her own "club" and all the classes she offers are at her own house, with her own equipment. She actually makes quite a bit of money, she doesn't have a "real" job and does the agility thing during the week, agility shows on the weekends and also grooms dogs (out of her home) on the side. Sounds like a perfect life to me, lol.

bckrazy
01-05-2006, 07:18 PM
It depends on where you want to go - there's actual k-9 training which is more involved, requires much more schooling and gets much better pay, a certified dog behavior consultant, working for a training school or owning a training school. Most dog trainers are self-educated, read a lot about training and go to seminars all over the country. There are dog training schools everywhere, but some are complete rip-offs so be very careful where you go.

I volunteered for at 4 Paws University, and dog training is a really serious job and can be scary at times. You have to be a strong person and be able to apply good judgement on the spot to solve a behavior... I don't think it's a job suited to most people, at all! But if you really want to you should totally go for it. Have you taken Sassy to Obedience classes? You should join an Obedience club, take her to classes, and volunteer to help before and after class to set up and such. You can get a lot of good advice for good trainers. Here are a couple of links ;)...

http://www.apdt.com/
http://www.ccpdt.org/

Alysser
01-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Sadly, no. She is really dog aggressive sometimes and my parents don't want to take any chances.I trained Sassy myself and she is pretty well behaved unless vistors come. I have read alot of training books so I'm okay with the basic stuff. But not anywhere near as good as the experts. I am not old enough to volunteer. But as soon as I am I am volunteering or at least going to some training classes. Thanks everyone and thanks for the links!

CalliesMom
01-05-2006, 09:02 PM
I think it is quite rare for vet schools to accept students without a bachelor's degree. You have to have done quite well in your required courses (we're talking 3.5 or better) and have had an extended number of hours working with animals in some degree (be it volunteered at shelter, worked in a vet's office). I have seen where they've taken older students without much animal experience, but these people have done other things that make them stand out.

Vet school is four years. You can go on to do residencies and specialize in one area of medicine. It is quite intense but if you want to do it, you find a way. Good luck with your choices!

Pembroke_Corgi
01-05-2006, 10:16 PM
I guess I was wrong about the length of time it takes to become a vet, but you do not need an undergraduate degree in order to enter a veterinary science program. I believe you only need 60 credit hours, which is two years.

lv4dogs
01-06-2006, 09:03 AM
Actually classes may help Sassy's behavioral issues, after all thats part of the reason there are classes. Even the very basic classes offer some training on isuues other than just sit, stay, down etc... They help with potty training, behavioral issues, social issues, etc...

I think it would be very benneficial for Sassy & for you & your family.

LKPike
01-06-2006, 09:11 AM
Being a vet isn't for me. It's when you have to put a pet down. So I wouldn't be able to handle it probably. :(

I had the same hang up but I've wanted to be a vet since I was literally 4 years old, every single year, every single time somebody asked me. Up till I was 16 and took more interest in forensic pathology but how would I handle the baby cases then? I can't, It would kill me it really would. In the end I'd rather surround myself with the recovery stories, which arent possible with FP, and just deal with the PTS cases if or when they ever come in. Since we live in a small town I doubt itll be so often.

anyway! either medical feild it doesnt matter I'm pretty much hopeless anyway lol since 7 close family members are paramedics, nurses, techs, and dentists, you really don't get to chose anything else!