PDA

View Full Version : questions about spayed cats

brielle
04-07-2002, 09:01 PM
hi all! I finally took Maggie in to the vet to get fixed.....picked her up the next day and brought her home. I was expecting her to be sleepy, or scared, or act differently in SOME way...but she just started running around playing with her toys like nothing was different! Is that normal?

Well the vet didnt use the dissolving stitches - instead my poor baby got these metal wire ones that need to be taken out in 2 weeks. Has anyone else had experience with these type of stitches? They seem to be sharp on the ends sticking out and I think one of them has cut her a little. In addition (its been 4 days since the operation) while the area isnt red, it is a little...um, crusty. I dont know if she cant clean herself there cause of the stitches being in the way......should I try to clean it for her? The vet isnt very helpful over the phone and I dont want to bring her in unless its necessary. opinions anyone?

Karen
04-07-2002, 09:38 PM
If it's not red or looking infected, I'd leave it be. I would, though, call the vet, ask again, and if you don't get a clear answer, I'd think about finding another vet.

Former User
04-08-2002, 02:00 AM
I think Maggie is okay to be playing like that. I've never heard aobut stiches like that though, our vet used those dissolving ones, and I'm glad he didn, Kitty was licking herself constantly! A agree with Karen, if you don't get proper answer on the phone, get another vet. We hav to do it now too, our vet isn't all that good, when we want to ask something, we really have to pull the information out of him, as if he doesn't want to talk. But when it comes to tell us how much the bill is, the he suddenly finds a way to talk!:(

sasvermont
04-08-2002, 05:57 AM
I have had female cats in the past and one had the metal clamps. I think they are more stable. It didn't bother the cat to have them removed, as I recall. My last kitty to be spayed had internal and external stitches - ones that had to be clipped and pulled out after a week. The Vet told me that I should be alarmed if there was inflamation and oozing around the stitches. A couple of external stitches were "removed" by Ms. Kitty...aka Miley. She too started running around as soon as she got home. She had spent the night (with her brother who got his "snip, snip" proceedure done at the same time) and had recovered from the drugs by the time she hit the door step at home.

I would consider switching vets as well. There is nothing like a wonderful Vet and one who thinks along the same lines as you do. For example, my Vet is not big on unnecessarily giving pills to pets...or taking extreme measures to heal something that can heal on its own. He is good, but relaxed and INFORMATIVE FOR SURE!

Good luck and keep us posted!

brielle
04-08-2002, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the advice! I called the vet again yesterday and they said that from my description the stitches were fine. I'll just keep a close watch on her to make sure they stay that way. I will look for a new vet though - this one is very close to my home but lacks a separate cat entrance and like i said before, isn't too helpful with questions over the phone.

4 feline house
04-08-2002, 06:59 PM
Surgical scars and wounds should never be cleaned unless your vet has specifically instructed you to do so (and except in cases of first aid in a wound) because the scab will never harden if you keep cleaning it.

purrley
04-10-2002, 07:23 AM
Brielle - sounds like your kitty is just fine. Don't blame you for worrying though, and I would try and find a more sensitive vet. I have one that makes follow up calls when I've had my kitties in for a problem. Couldn't believe it!!!! A vet should have a great bedside manner like you would expect your family doctor to have as far as I'm concerned. Good Luck - find a good one;)

04-10-2002, 09:13 AM
hi Brielle !!

Hope your kitty is better by now !! When My cat got fixed , the vet used self-resolving thread . Now , one year later , there is still a little bit of tread left , but Sydney does not worry about that !!:D :D . One thing happened because of the "fixing" .... He has got a "hanging" belly ... Well , if that's the only problem , that's fine with me ! He is healthy , happy , purring , and that's all what matters !! Bye !!!!!!!:) :)

brielle
04-10-2002, 10:44 AM
Maggie is doing fine - in the last day or so the redness has gone away and most of the 'crustiness' has also gone so I can relax now :) Even though I know the operation was good for her I felt so guilty about it that I was having a hissy fit that there might have been something wrong with her because of it. Thanks for all the great advice!

mylunalove
04-14-2002, 08:04 PM
I'd have to agree it may be time to look for a different Vet. Or if it wasn't so much the doctor but his/her staff then mention the unhelpful attitude to the doc! I'm sure they would want to know how you felt.
My vet is wonderful I use a husband & wife team they know me and each of my critters. When I go to them I feel welcomed, and I get the impression that they think my pets are the best......which they are but I'm sure all their other clients feel the same!! hahaha
They listen to my desires and recommend different options if the visit is due to something more then yearly shots. My point is you have to trust them! Someone else said they should treat you like a family doctor would, and well I'd agree with that! Hope your baby survived her spaying, and the stitches removal!
peace & harmony:D