PDA

View Full Version : New Years Tradition - to eat pork - what are yours?

kittylover4ever
01-03-2006, 06:44 AM
Here in Ohio, growing up, we always had some kind of sauerkraut and pork dish on New Years day. Here I thought it was a well known tradition, but have since found out from friends all over that they had never heard of that. Have you guys ever heard of eating pork on New years?? :confused:

RobiLee
01-03-2006, 06:51 AM
YES! We do the same here too. Alden and I had our pork and saurekraut dinner on New Year's Day. Although Alden only eats a sliver of the kraut..lol..he hates it. I was told that it was to bring good luck in the new year. I have also found out that not everyone does this...lol.

kittylover4ever
01-03-2006, 06:53 AM
Well Robilee, you can tell your from Ohio as well! LOL Let's see if people from other places have ever heard of this! :) (Personally, I LOVE sauerkraut, but it doesn't always like me) :eek: :D

Daisy and Delilah
01-03-2006, 07:15 AM
We always have pork and black eyed peas on New Years. My Mother is a Southern girl and always insisted that we do this every year. We consider the black eyed peas as our good luck for the coming year. Supposedly, the more you eat, the better luck you'll have. :rolleyes: It's a good thing sauerkraut isn't on the menu because I'm with Alden.......yucko! As a matter of fact, I'm not a lover of the black eyed peas either but I disquise the taste with other things so I can get them down ;)

Randi
01-03-2006, 08:37 AM
In Denmark it's a tradition to have Cod on New Years Eve. :) I love it!

In fact, I think green cabbage is too, but I hate that!

BitsyNaceyDog
01-03-2006, 08:55 AM
I've never heard of eating pork on New Years.
We don't really have any traditions like that. We go to Justin's parents' house for New Years Eve. They have a little party every year (unless they go to Maryland to visit family). They always have sparkling grape juice at midnight. (They are completely against wine or any other alcoholic beverage, it's "the devil's drink". :rolleyes: ) Other than that we don't really have any traditions, that's not even really a tradition.

anna_66
01-03-2006, 08:57 AM
I had never heard of the pork and kraut on New Years Eve before coming to Ohio. And I have to admit neither Mark or I do it and he's lived in Ohio almost his whole life. Guess we just don't see the point in it:p

gemini9961
01-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Never heard of it. :( We don't really have any New Years tradition in my family. I like pork but not sauerkraut. Yuck!

dogzr#1
01-03-2006, 09:52 AM
We don't have any actual traditions for New Years. We usually just got to my aunts house and have a little party. I've never even heard of sauerkraut!

Kfamr
01-03-2006, 10:03 AM
We don't have an traditions. The only tradition meal we have is for St. Patricks Day, which is Corn Beef & Cabbage. YUM!

I've never even heard of sauerkraut!

Lucky you! :p

.sarah
01-03-2006, 11:18 AM
We always have pork and black eyed peas on New Years. My Mother is a Southern girl and always insisted that we do this every year. We consider the black eyed peas as our good luck for the coming year.
Same here! But we use ham (though I eat a seperate cooking without the ham since I'm vegetarian).

Cataholic
01-03-2006, 11:53 AM
I am from Ohio...but, I don't know that I have heard of this. I will have to ask my parents. As for saurkraut? BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!

My tradition on NYE? To bed early, so I can greet the New Year all fresh and relaxed!! :D

ParNone
01-03-2006, 12:26 PM
I had my traditional black-eyed peas with pork hocks and cornbread. Mmmmmmm... It's a very tasty tradition. :)

From what I've read the tradition dates back to the Civil War. The Northern soldiers raided the South's food supplies one New Year's Eve night and took all the food except for the dried black-eyed peas and the salted pork. On New Year's day, all that the southern soldiers had to eat were the peas and pork to keep them alive, so it is considered good luck to eat black-eyed peas on New Year's because of this event.

Par...

Suki Wingy
01-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Never heard of any! I broke my tradition of going out of state and watching it on CNN in a hotel room because I was too sick to make my flight out. My dad came in though so I still spent it about the same way. I really don't see the big deal, time is continuous, we just make up units of time to stay sane and function as an organised comunity, I don't really think it should be a holiday but that is just what I think.

Uabassoon
01-03-2006, 12:48 PM
We always eat black eyed peas on New years day in my family. We also eat grapes, you have to eat 12, one for every month. The other tradition is eating bunuelos, it's kind of like a fried flour tortilla with cinnamon and sugar.

Jessika
01-03-2006, 12:49 PM
My only tradition was having my new year's party :D

davidpizzica
01-03-2006, 01:23 PM
In our family it was a tradition to have a pork and sauerkraut dinner on new year's day. As a matter I had a pork and sauerkraut dinner at my brother's house monday. I LOVE sauerkraut!

.sarah
01-03-2006, 11:45 PM
I had my traditional black-eyed peas with pork hocks and cornbread. Mmmmmmm... It's a very tasty tradition. :)

From what I've read the tradition dates back to the Civil War. The Northern soldiers raided the South's food supplies one New Year's Eve night and took all the food except for the dried black-eyed peas and the salted pork. On New Year's day, all that the southern soldiers had to eat were the peas and pork to keep them alive, so it is considered good luck to eat black-eyed peas on New Year's because of this event.

Par...
Ahh, thanks for explaining. Makes sense!

krazyaboutkatz
01-04-2006, 12:42 AM
In our family it was a tradition to have a pork and sauerkraut dinner on new year's day. As a matter I had a pork and sauerkraut dinner at my brother's house monday. I LOVE sauerkraut!

This is also true in my family. My mom usually makes it every year and she cooks the pork roast slowly all day with the sauerkraut. She also adds brown sugar to the sauerkraut so it tastes yummy. We also have real mashed potatos with it and use the pork and sauerkraut juices as the gravy. :) I'm originally from PA and I'm about 3/4ths German. I always thought that people of German descent did this more than others and it didn't matter where you lived.

dogzr#1
01-04-2006, 07:00 AM
Lucky you! :p

I looked on Google and found out it was shredded cabbage that was left to ferment for a couple of weeks. It sounds... odd.

jenluckenbach
01-04-2006, 01:54 PM
YUP Pork and sauerkraut on New years day to insure luck during the upcoming year. This is probably the first year in dozens of years I did NOT have this on Jan 1. (I was working at a cat show, had to eat what they had available. Will I now have bad luck all year? :eek: )

wolf_Q
01-04-2006, 02:00 PM
This is all news to me.......I have never in my life heard of a specific New Years meal. Maybe that's why I have bad luck? :eek: I ate doritos and sparkling cidar lol.

My only tradition is to play New Years Day by U2. :D