PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Decorations

BC_MoM
01-03-2006, 01:56 AM
How soon does your family put away your Xmas decorations?

I have a rant about this.. hehe

First off, January is the most gloomest and silent month out of all the months of winter.

Why start putting away cheerful decorations and taking down/turning or Christmas lights?

On a religious note, the point of Christmas lights is this:
Jesus was born, he was the light, right?
Christmas lights represent the light of Jesus. The light in the dark. (aka walking outside in the dark evenings of winter, but alas, no longer dark.. because of the light.. CHRISTMAS LIGHTS!)

We take down our Christmas tree at the end of January but keep our Christmas lights on until the snow melts away.

What about you?

Tollers-n-Dobes
01-03-2006, 02:00 AM
We're taking our tree and decorations down this coming Saturday. We don't have lights on the outside of our house.

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-03-2006, 03:26 AM
We want the "christmas atmosphere" to last as long as possible!
So, we take all decorations down at the end of January :o :D
I am a romantic soul you know.... :D

Nomilynn
01-03-2006, 04:48 AM
I usually leave mine until around Jan 15th or so, but I'm taking them down early this year as I hope to be moving this month. However, I have certain special ornaments that stay up all year round, like my special Rudolph collectibles :)

Miss Z
01-03-2006, 04:54 AM
We have already taken ours down, on new years day:(

My mum likes to get everything sorted quickly. It is a shame because she's very good at designing the decorations to fit our rooms, she should leave them up a little longer.

Do they have that bad luck tale in other places apart from england? Everyone says here that you get bad luck if you leave your decorations up after 6th January. I don't believe in all these silly bad luck stories, but that's really why decorations where we live come down pretty fast.

Hey BC_MoM, January's not too bad, my birthday's on the 20th january, and we sometimes get snow with lovely crystal clear mornings where i live;)

dukedogsmom
01-03-2006, 05:00 AM
I keep my stuff up all January long! I love that time of year and hate to see it go away. I've got lots of pretty Christmas stuff. I didn't get it all put out this year, though.

chocolatepuppy
01-03-2006, 05:05 AM
A lot depends on when I go back to work. I put most decorations away Sunday and took the tree down Monday.I still have my three light sets, red bells, green trees and snowmen set up and lit. It just seems too dark without them. I'll leave them up for a few weeks. :)

neko1
01-03-2006, 06:11 AM
January is not gloomy to me and everybody else who has a birthday in this month!

Glacier
01-03-2006, 10:25 AM
December 27! I can't stand them after Christmas. They have to go!

ramanth
01-03-2006, 10:29 AM
The only decoration I have up is a wreath. When it starts to turn brown, I'll take it down.

catnapper
01-03-2006, 10:57 AM
I am actually taking them down right now. I'm taking a break. The tree is down and packed away, so are all the little nick-knacks. I just have to do some little organizing and then a mad cleaning and furniture re-arranging. Thank God this yrear I didn't have to lug all the boxes to the basement myself! :D :p

Personally, I loved having the decorations up, but I put them up right after Thanksgiving and I'm eager to have my clean spacious livingroom back. Already it look ten times bigger without a huge tree sitting in the middle of it! :D

Felix
01-03-2006, 11:01 AM
This year they came down the day after boxing day,because a little someone kept climbing the tree. :rolleyes: Usually we wait until New Years day to take everything down.

Edwina's Secretary
01-03-2006, 11:19 AM
In our community there is a rule about how long outside lights can be lit. There are fines for lights left on too long. We turn everything on the day after Thanksgiving so I am ready but New Year's to turn everything off.

caseysmom
01-03-2006, 11:37 AM
We also have to have our lights down by the 9th because of our association...I am tired of all of it by now though anyway....glad to have some space back.