PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up in the yard

slleipnir
01-01-2006, 07:15 PM
How do you pick up dog droppings in the winter when it's all icey and stuff?? I don't exactly have an axe pick to go digging them up..but it needs to be done?

Tollers-n-Dobes
01-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Who ever lets the dogs outside has to pick it up right away in my house. Not sure what other people might do though...

Glacier
01-01-2006, 07:20 PM
I chip it out with a pointy shovel.

elizabethann
01-01-2006, 07:23 PM
I pick Fenway's poop up as soon as it comes out. :eek: :D

slleipnir
01-01-2006, 09:59 PM
I don't always have time to do it everytime...and my dad lets them out when I'm at work..and he definetly won't go out and pick it up ;)

K9karen
01-01-2006, 11:26 PM
*Chuckle Chuckle* Same problem here, if K-lo goes at night. During the day, I pick it right up. I use a small pointed old garden shovel, which, because of frozen poop, is half off the handle from pounding the ice! I always pray the neighbors aren't watching as I do my best to squat (still can't bend) and chistle away! *Sigh*, looks like I'll have to start using the ice chopper. I call them frozen poop-sicles! :eek: :D

IRescue452
01-02-2006, 09:42 AM
Once we get a thaw we rake it up with a plastic rake that doesn't tear up the lawn. Otherwise the snow keeps it covered. When its in ice we just wait or use a garden shovel to chisel it out.

Corinna
01-02-2006, 09:46 AM
I was just going to admit the same thing ,Irescue . We have enough snow to keep it covered. spring and summer it's a weekly chore.

K9soul
01-02-2006, 10:23 AM
Once we get a thaw we rake it up with a plastic rake that doesn't tear up the lawn. Otherwise the snow keeps it covered. When its in ice we just wait or use a garden shovel to chisel it out.

This is what we do as well. When snow piles upon snow all winter and the pups often go find some big drift to go in, well nothing is going to make me go out in -20 wind chills and go rooting and digging for it in 1-2 feet of snow and ice. The best thing to do is wait for spring thaw, it still freezes a night, so if you wait till the snow is mostly melted and then go out in the earlier morning before things have re-thawed again it's easier to get up the frozen nuggets. At least the ones not trapped under the ice.

This is what the yard can become when it's the thaw/freeze, thaw/freeze time of year. It's treacherous to walk on and very difficult to get to anything to clean it up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/k9soul/Misc2/marchthawfreeze1.jpg

slleipnir
01-02-2006, 07:28 PM
I usually do too...just because it's hard to clean it up if you can't see it! But sometimes it rains and melts the snow enough so you can see it, and when it stops raining it's freezing, so there is a layer of ice. -_- It's just too hard I find..dad gets really angry that I'm not cleaning it every week :o

Cincy'sMom
01-02-2006, 09:01 PM
Fromthe look of our yard, I don't! :eek: We finally had a thaw this weekend, and while I had been trying to scoop what I could find on top of the snow, there was a ton hidden underneath!! I went through 3 kitchen sized garbage bags!!!