PDA

View Full Version : A new trick to upset me

sasvermont
04-07-2002, 09:06 AM
Graemer is up to his usual troubled behavior again. He is all over his sore paw.

Yesterday afternoon, while I was napping, he climbed on the top of a door in my computer room and entered a "drop ceiling" via a tile. He managed to go completely across the room and find the one spot where there is an exposed plaster lathing area - an area exposed to the upper layer of the house. It is the only room in the house with a drop ceiling, which I hate and hope to remove sometime soon. Anyway, he fell through a tile eventually and down came the insulation and all the dirt and debris from years of being closed off. I can only hope that he didn't get too much insulation on him....I gave him a wet towel bath. He seems fine.

Now I must figure out a way to glue ? the tiles down to the frame in the area where he can reach....only near the door...I could take the door off...don't want to do that....the frame work can only hold so much weight, so I can't put bricks or anything terribly heaving on plywood on the top of the tiles......I don't want to make the room ceiling worse than it already looks or draw attention to it.

Do I need a new cat - to replace that monster Graemer? He is the same cat the knocked a mantle clock off it's perch .... to the repair shop for lots of $$$$$$$$$. Maybe I should trade the repair work for the cat....

Aren't they wonderful - those darn cats!

Former User
04-07-2002, 10:14 AM
I know it wasn't nice what happened, but I'm glad you have Greamer back! Nawtee cat he is but hey, you love him anyway, and so do we all! I don't know what to do about the repair work though :confused:

luvdemabys
04-07-2002, 11:28 AM
Aawww, Graemer! I'm sure mommy doesn't mean it, but if she does, I'll take you in a New York minute! Maybe I'll swap her for Li'l Guy....Who is so sweet and no mischief, but is still breaking our hearts with his raw skin.

Lachesis
04-07-2002, 12:45 PM
Stop scaring your parents Graemer!!! LOL

LoudLou
04-07-2002, 02:19 PM
Graemer, have you been a NAWTEE KITTY? We are glad you're OK! No more making your Mommy upset and worried. We Kitties do not belong on the ...or under the ceiling!;)

Randi
04-07-2002, 02:33 PM
sasvermont! If Graemer is up to more "work" you can send him over here to help tear down our wallpaper in our corridor (10 meters long) Fister already started :rolleyes: And while they're at it, they can help with the ceiling in the bathroom. :D

sasvermont
04-07-2002, 02:56 PM
I think Graemer needs to find a job/occupation in the "destruction industry". I put three pieces of plywood up above the tiles, then wedged a doorstop between the old ceiling and the plywood. I trust he will not be able to access the area now, but YOU NEVER KNOW. I wonder what he will come up with next? I wouldn't trade Graemer aka Grammy Crackers, for all the tea in China! He is a real lover....but at times, gets bored and can't get into enough trouble to suit himself.

I am sure you all know what I am suffering through.

:(

Both cats are asleep now. Of course. :rolleyes:

Former User
04-07-2002, 03:18 PM
Phew, I'm glad that Casper doesn't get like that when he is bored. He just wanders around the house, showing a long face and making sure we can hear that he is bored. It doesn't sound like a cat anymore, more like a little kid complaing, he just "meows" and it sounds more or less "auuuu, auuuuu" :rolleyes:

wayne0214
04-07-2002, 05:19 PM
sasvermont; I believe that your furkids are Abyssinians. If this is so, then they, like my Jumper, are prone to get into things. Although there is really nothing in this place that allows him much trouble that he can get into, still, in the middle of the night he will start yowling, meaning that he wants outside. Last night was the worst of many times I've had with all my cats, about wanting to go outside. In fact, when I got up this morning, I opened their access window and nearly all of them went outside for the pre-dawn morning, which is unusual. Even a special feeding time did not bring all of them in about 2 hours later (5 AM):)

...........wayne

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-08-2002, 02:37 PM
sasvermont, good to hear Graemer is feeling better. :D

It's hard to decide sometimes what worries us more, when they are not feeling good, or which crazy antic they will think up next that may get them hurt. :rolleyes:

I have to agree though, wouldn't trade them for all the tea in China. :)

sasvermont
04-09-2002, 10:54 AM
Well, even though I rigged the ceiling with plywood, Graemer is still trying to get into the drop ceiling. Now he is looking at the planters hanging from the ceiling...and is trying to go up the cotton curtains to pop a tile! So the room is closed off for the time being until I figure out what I can do about it. I suppose I will need to remove the drop ceiling and fix the existing ceiling in a hurry. I think the smell (old I hope) or scent of mousies is still up in the upper part of the ceiling. Yikes. He thinks of nothing else when I am with him in this room. Well, food does distract him a bit. What a pain in the neck this is becoming for me.:eek: :eek:

04-12-2002, 10:52 AM
:( do not worry any longer sasvermont !!! I advise you to get that ceiling fixed as soon as possible !!! This will bring you at rest , as well as Graeme's !!:D
Go ahead and do it !!
Luck !!!!

NoahsMommy
04-12-2002, 02:42 PM
See...this is why we love our little angels/devils....they are always keeping us on our toes....

N & N LOVE to scratch at the corners of carpet in our apartment. We've been using "Sticky Paws", but Noah likes to eat it!! :rolleyes:

mylunalove
04-13-2002, 01:09 AM
sounds like Graemer is a rather interesting kitty! :eek:
a super curious lad......I sure hope he grows out of his naughty phase soon...seems like your at your witts end as to how to entertain him, and keep him safe too.
good luck to you
:D
hang in there and think happy thoughts

sasvermont
04-13-2002, 06:23 AM
mylunalove, thanks for your comments and encourging thoughts...

Right now, as I sit typing, Graemer is covering the square footage in the room with the drop ceiling - meowing while looking at the ceiling. My usual response to this behavior is to say no, no many times. Then when I am away from the house, I close the doors to the room. Hopefully this will discourage him from trying to leap up to get to the ceiling tiles.

He is in my arms right now, giving me kisses and wet nose rubs. Such extremes. I have always know that Abys need lots of attention - but never had one that needed to get high all the time...meaning as high in the air. He is obsessed with it. The breeder said he was like that when he was a small kitten too, and nearly killed himself jumping onto a bedpost from the top of a cabinet - knocking the wind out of himself. She thought he had died..... but luck had it that he was just stunned.

I guess I should reduce my 401K salary deductions and have that same amount sent directly to my Vet - prepayment for services to be rendered during Graemer's life time!

:eek: :)

Pam
04-13-2002, 06:41 AM
I don't know if you ever get over to the dog boards but there are lots of NAWTEE DOGS at Pet Talk, and I think Graemer may be the original NAWTEE CAT here. He sounds so cute and very determined! The vet fund sounds like a good idea! Better begin at once! :D

I saw a cartoon not too long ago which I wish I had saved. It showed two cats sitting in the waiting room at the vet's with various bandages all over, etc. The one cat, all bandaged and on crutches, says to the other cat "why are you here?" The second cat says "I tried to jump from the stove to the refrigerator and never saw that pot cooking." :eek: Then he asks the other cat the same question and he replies "tried to jump to the top of the entertainment center with a single bound and didn't quite make it." :D Yes, our cats have nine lives but sometimes I think us humans should get to have at least one more because they can definitely take a few years off the only one we get with their antics!

AmberLee
04-13-2002, 10:22 AM
Per Pam -- ...because they can definitely take a few years off the only one we get with their antics...

:eek: :rolleyes: Amen!!!