View Full Version : Cat Called 911

Craftlady
12-31-2005, 05:17 PM
Police Say Cat Called 911

Reported by: A.P.
Web produced by: Neil Relyea
Photographed by: 9News (wpco.com)
First Posted: 12/31/2005 2:30:21 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Police aren't sure how else to explain it. But when an officer walked into an apartment Thursday night to answer a 911 call, an orange-and-tan striped cat was lying by a telephone on the living room floor.

The cat's owner, Gary Rosheisen, was on the ground near his bed having fallen out of his wheelchair.

Rosheisen said his cat, Tommy, must have hit the right buttons to call 911.

"I know it sounds kind of weird," Officer Patrick Daugherty said, unsuccessfully searching for some other explanation.

Rosheisen said he couldn't get up because of pain from osteoporosis and ministrokes that disrupt his balance.

He also wasn't wearing his medical-alert necklace and couldn't reach a cord above his pillow that alerts paramedics that he needs help. Daugherty said police received a 911 call from Rosheisen's apartment, but there was no one on the phone.

Police called back to make sure everything was OK, and when no one answered, they decided to check things out.

That's when Daugherty found Tommy next to the phone. Rosheisen got the cat three years ago to help lower his blood pressure.

He tried to train him to call 911, unsure if the training ever stuck.

The phone in the living room is always on the floor, and there are 12 small buttons -- including a speed dial for 911 right above the button for the speaker phone.

"He's my hero," Rosheisen said.

Miss Z
12-31-2005, 05:19 PM
Clever cat! I've heard of dogs calling ambulances before too, they are truly heroes:)

catmandu
12-31-2005, 05:23 PM
I shall have to start training the Found Cats right away,to start dialing in case I too,have fallen and cannot get up.
JJJ3,want some Temptations?

kimlovescats
01-01-2006, 11:42 AM
Absolutely AMAZING!!!! :eek:

Edwina's Secretary
01-01-2006, 02:13 PM
I asked Edwina if she would dial 911 for me. She suggested I tune into her favorite radio station....WIIFM... :eek: :rolleyes: :eek: maybe Eddie would... :rolleyes:

Prairie Purrs
01-01-2006, 02:30 PM
Kacey did once manage to hit the speed dial--and the speaker button, too--when he walked across the phone in the pre-dawn hours one morning. Fortunately, he managed to call an understanding friend and not my boss. :eek: It was very strange to wake up to a sleepy voice from the phone speaker saying "Hello? Hello??"

krazyaboutkatz
01-01-2006, 05:27 PM
Wow! What an intelligent cat. :) I love hearing stories like this. :)

lisalee
01-01-2006, 06:37 PM
I just caught this briefly on the news. What a wonderful kitty! :)

todd
01-01-2006, 09:50 PM
wow great story

Craftlady
01-01-2006, 10:56 PM
CNN went to the house. Cat is an orangie :)
I saw the actual video story on tv tonight.

TopCat3
01-02-2006, 12:08 AM
You see? I've been telling all non-cat people for years (that think I'm slightly loopy about my cats) that it is so GOOD for your health to have cats. And the more cats you have, the healthier you will be! ;) :D

Now I must print this out and keep it in my bag to whip out and show the sceptics... :rolleyes: