PDA

View Full Version : Do you like to be one step ahead?

Miss Z
12-31-2005, 04:07 PM
I know this is weird, but we went into Manchester today and i was reminded of this. The question is, Do you like to be one step ahead of the rest in fashion, accessories etc?

I have to admit, i am terrible i know, but my answer is GAWD YES!!!!! As i was saying before, in Manchester today i was reminded of my liking for all things expensive:rolleyes: i can't help it. My mum always calls me 'the posh one', even though she's the one who usually buys me all of this stuff. My friends think i'm rolling in it:rolleyes: but i just love to impress! I'm so bad. I can never have enough designer clothes, shoes and anything else that i like the look of. I couldn't live without my Dolce and Gabana handbag and my Gucci watch. And i bought myself these gorgeous chocolate brown ankle boots the other day that were £70 (or rather, my dad bought them for me LOL)

And i swear, i've got this special 'expensive sense'. Take me into any jewellry shop and i guarantee that i'll point out the most expensive item to you;)

I would NEVER EVER count my pets as 'accessories' though as some people i know do:mad: that is going way too far, i'm not that bad.

I know i'm sooooooooo very bad and spoiled, i just wondered if there was anyone else out there as terrible as me:rolleyes: or am i the only one? I've been told countless times that these things aren't everything, and i agree, they aren't, they're just nice to have on the side;)

ComedyDevil
12-31-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm the complete opposite. I'm not interested in what's 'in', or the latest fashions, nor do I try to be alternative. When I buy something, it's because it's comfortable and I like it. If it happens to be in fashion, then that's fine, but I also couldn't care less if it went 'out of season' two years ago. Sometimes I buy designer stuff, but it's for the look of the item, not the brand name.

Saying that, I don't think there's anything WRONG with people who like to follow fashion, each to their own. It's just not something that interests me personally. But then I've always been a little bit 'out there' in terms of how I look/dress. A lot of times I'll customise clothes, or buy a blank shirt and paint a design on it with fabric paints. I just dress however I feel ... :)

joanofark
12-31-2005, 05:01 PM
Nah, I'm not sure if I even own any designer clothes!:p I like vitage, so going to the thrift shops are great! Stuff there are ussually older stuff. I dress nice without them. Some clothes that are 'In' with ME are 'Out' with the latest trends.;) But everyone dresses different, and there is no problem with that! :) So yeah, I'm the complete opposite!:D

Cataholic
12-31-2005, 06:27 PM
He he he....fashion? Latest style? Expensive jewelry? Not for me.

I just don't have the inclination to be led into what to wear, not to wear, style my hair, or line the pockets of those that have way too much to begin with!

Give me a pair of comfy sweats, and a fluffy pair of socks, and I am in heaven.

G535
12-31-2005, 06:28 PM
I never could afford to buy fashionable stuff when I was younger, now I dress for comfort and don't really care about looks!

kuhio98
12-31-2005, 08:47 PM
No, not me. I'm pretty much the opposite. And I know it's not kind of me, but I sometimes laugh at my brother (who has to have the latest and greatest). He has to be "part of the herd". Whatever everyone else is wearing, he has to wear. Whatever they buy, he has to buy. Whatever someone he admires says is the "in" thing, he has to have. What a waste of time and money! I remember when VCR's first came out. He had to be one of the first to get one. He paid $800 for it. And then when you could buy movies on video tape, he had to be one of the first and was paying $70 for a movie. All it led to was a home full of stuff and him filing for bankruptcy. I'd rather have money in the bank any day than the latest-greatest-trendiest thing that will go out of style in 30 minutes.

I heard a very strange story the other day about women to lease PURSES/HANDBAGS because they insist on having very expensive designer purses but can't afford them. They lease them by the month and then trade them in for the a new model. :rolleyes: Like P.T. Barnam said, "There's a sucker born every minute."

Chilli
12-31-2005, 09:46 PM
No... I'm not concerned about whats "in". I doubt if I own any designer clothes at all. I just buy whatever appeals to me, even if it sometimes is just some old jeans and a t-shirt.
Anytime I ever get money, it either gets put in the bank or blown on music.

Miss Z
01-01-2006, 05:30 AM
Guess it's just me then;)

Allecto
01-01-2006, 06:01 AM
No, I think fashion has a restraining order against me. I'm not allowed to be withing 500 yards of where it is 'in step'. :p

And the worst part of all... it is mostly b/c I am cheap and lazy in that area. Plan an outfit out? That could be and extra five minutes of soaking in the tub or being outside instead! Pay a chunk of change for great shoes? :eek: But that money could go to pets, or things I collect, or going out to see a show :rolleyes: . It isn't so much that I don't care at all, since I think a lot of people are as snobby about not caring as anyone else is about being a fashionista. I just can't bring myself to make it a priority in my life. I mean, why buy nice jeans when I'm still getting hand-me-downs from sibs, and christmas will roll around eventually? Why take the time to make sure my clothes go together when I could just put on the first thing I grab and have time to stop for something to eat before work and school?

Allecto
01-01-2006, 06:05 AM
:p I like vitage, so going to the thrift shops are great! Stuff there are ussually older stuff. I dress nice without them. Some clothes that are 'In' with ME are 'Out' with the latest trends.;)

Um, no offense, sounds like at least 60% of college kids at least. Vintage, thrift, and boho are such major trends right now. Everyone wants to go for that mary Kate Olson/Seinna Miller thing.

Miss Z
01-01-2006, 06:08 AM
I think a lot of people are as snobby about not caring as anyone else is about being a fashionista. I just can't bring myself to make it a priority in my life. I mean, why buy nice jeans when I'm still getting hand-me-downs from sibs, and christmas will roll around eventually? Why take the time to make sure my clothes go together when I could just put on the first thing I grab and have time to stop for something to eat before work and school?

I know what you mean about people being snobby, but i can assure you that i'm not like that. And pets are priority to me, i spend all money i can on them;) my parents buy me this stuff, and i love it. As i said before, this stuff isn't everything, but it's so nice to have on the side. And i suppose really, maybe what i meant came out a bit wrong. There are loads of things in designer names that i wouldn't be seen dead in. And i'm not really someone who likes to have what everyone else has. I like stuff different to what everyone else has;) .

I have a lot of cheap clothes too, but i only wear them for messing around in the house and stuff like that:) ;)

cloverfdx
01-01-2006, 08:35 AM
No i am not a materialistic person. I am currently wearing a pair of $5 guys leans from the op shop/ thrift store and a $10 polo shirt that was on sale at Target.

catnapper
01-01-2006, 09:13 AM
I think it has to do with age and maturity than anything else. PLEASE do not take offense because it just a fundamental truth. When you're young (or a spoiled rich chick/movie star), the shiny things, the expensive things catch your eye and you want them because you don't have pressing prioities vying for that money.

As a grown up, my excitement over clothes comes from how much of a bargain I got. I won't buy it unless it meets three criteria: Good Cut, Good quality, Good price. And I'm talking GOOD price, on GOOD things... I got a $300 cashmere sweater from Jones New York this fall for $14. I will not pay more than $20 for shoes, most often FAR less than that (and I do not step foot into Payless Shoes). I pay no more than $15 for pants or a skirt. Same $15 for a sweater. I'd think I'd lost my mind if I spent $70 on boots.... but I remember ten years ago, when I was single and living at home, I spent $100 on shoes no problem. I ONLY bought Clinque, Lancome, & Estee Lauder makeup. Last week, I was SOOOOO excited to find Mabeline on sale for 99 cents :D LOL

You'll learn to appreciate a wardrobe staple. I have this black silk suit. GORGEOUS material, FABULOUS cut, and makes me look & feel like I could conquer the world. I wear those pants a hundred times a year, and even after 6 years they still look brand new and still are in fashion. And will be in fashion in another 20 years (I think I'll die the day they pass over to the great hamper in the sky! :p). Something that makes you look like a million bucks NEVER goes out of style.

I think you're just being a teenager. I used to think expensive, wonderful things were... wonderful. Now I'm a mature woman and those things seem frivolous to me, and I watch my own daughters think about designer handbags and whether their shirts are the latest style. I can't wait for them to look back at today's clothes and say "OMG, what was I thinking???" because they will! Because they are just buying what "cool" and not wearing things to suit their figures and flatter their coloring. They'll figure it out and so will you. Its nothing to feel ashamed about, its all part of growing up and figuring out who you are.

Miss Z
01-01-2006, 09:17 AM
I think it has to do with age and maturity than anything else. PLEASE do not take offense because it just a fundamental truth. When you're young (or a spoiled rich chick/movie star), the shiny things, the expensive things catch your eye and you want them because you don't have pressing prioities vying for that money.

As a grown up, my excitement over clothes comes from how much of a bargain I got. I won't buy it unless it meets three criteria: Good Cut, Good quality, Good price. And I'm talking GOOD price, on GOOD things... I got a $300 cashmere sweater from Jones New York this fall for $14. I will not pay more than $20 for shoes, most often FAR less than that (and I do not step foot into Payless Shoes). I pay no more than $15 for pants or a skirt. Same $15 for a sweater. I'd think I'd lost my mind if I spent $70 on boots.... but I remember ten years ago, when I was single and living at home, I spent $100 on shoes no problem. I ONLY bought Clinque, Lancome, & Estee Lauder makeup. Last week, I was SOOOOO excited to find Mabeline on sale for 99 cents :D LOL

You'll learn to appreciate a wardrobe staple. I have this black silk suit. GORGEOUS material, FABULOUS cut, and makes me look & feel like I could conquer the world. I wear those pants a hundred times a year, and even after 6 years they still look brand new and still are in fashion. And will be in fashion in another 20 years (I think I'll die the day they pass over to the great hamper in the sky! :p). Something that makes you look like a million bucks NEVER goes out of style.

I think you're just being a teenager. I used to think expensive, wonderful things were... wonderful. Now I'm a mature woman and those things seem frivolous to me, and I watch my own daughters think about designer handbags and whether their shirts are the latest style. I can't wait for them to look back at today's clothes and say "OMG, what was I thinking???" because they will! Because they are just buying what "cool" and not wearing things to suit their figures and flatter their coloring. They'll figure it out and so will you. Its nothing to feel ashamed about, its all part of growing up and figuring out who you are.

You sound just like my mum;) she's always telling me that:D and yeah, i suppose i am just being a teenager, but i suppose i should enjoy it while i can;) i always tell my mum that when i'm old i'd rather remember myself as someone who went out and spent herself dry than someone who was hesitant and never did much;) you're probably right though, one day i'll look at my designer stuff and think OMG did i really spend that much on THAT! LOL!

popcornbird
01-01-2006, 09:51 AM
Nope...not me. I've never been into designer clothing. In fact, I don't think I own a single pair of designer clothes. :p When I go clothes shopping, I buy clothes based on comfort, quality, and whether or not *I* look/feel good in them. You sound a bit like my cousin. ;) She *has to* have the best clothes in her closet, the best shoes, the best jewelry, the best make up. I look at her and shake my head, thinking, "What is wrong with this girl?" he he he. I can't help but feel guilty when I spend too much money on myself. I know its not something to feel 'guilty' about, but I do...because I end up thinking of all the millions of people in this world who hardly have one outfit to clothe themselves with, and here I am wasting money when my wardrobe is full. Then I think, "With this money, 10 poor people could have gotten a new outfit to wear." It just makes me feel bad. I do love to wear nice clothes, but don't care for what's in fashion. It has to appeal to me. If the fashion doesn't appeal to me, chances are, I won't even look at those clothes. My clothes have to be in my style and my comfort...AND, I like clothes that cover most of the body too. I can't STAND the skimpy clothing that fashion brings along with them. Seems like girls have to show more and more of their bodies when going out as the fashion trend changes. I hate that. Because fashion is just LIKE that...no fashion trends for me. ;) I like to dress up on special occasions, but on a regular day, its nice to wear something comfy and just chill...not worrying about what happens to the clothes as I'm busy with 'daily work'. :p

Miss Z
01-01-2006, 10:01 AM
I can't STAND the skimpy clothing that fashion brings along with them. Seems like girls have to show more and more of their bodies when going out as the fashion trend changes.

He he he, that's just me, mini skirts and short shorts!!!! LOL LOL LOL I hardly ever wear them though, it's just too cold in England to go trundling about in them, my legs would freeze off!!!! Nope, mini skirts are reserved for strictly indoor parties and short shorts for relaxing on a nice warm beach near the Meditteranean!!!!;) :D Give me jeans for any normal day.

I can't wear tops like that yet though, hardly any places sell size six clothing, and having a 8 year olds waist means that i can't get a lot of trousers i like. Getting jeans is a NIGHTMARE!!!!

krazyaboutkatz
01-01-2006, 04:40 PM
I hardly ever buy or spend money on clothes for myself and when I do it has to be on sale, fit well, and be comfortable. :) My mom is the shopper and bargain hunter too and she'll usually buy me some clothes that are my taste and fit me well so this is usually how I get new clothes. ;) I can wear jeans and casual things to work so these are the main types of clothing that I wear every day. Keeping up with fashion has never interested me and most of my money is spent on my cats and other living expenses. :)

Allecto
01-01-2006, 05:40 PM

Chick? Trust me, guys are plenty superficial too. ;)

Miss Z
01-01-2006, 05:41 PM
Chick? Trust me, guys are plenty superficial too. ;)

I agree!:) :rolleyes:

JenBKR
01-03-2006, 12:25 PM
I am not materialistic either. I couldn't care less what's 'in style.' I like my jeans and sweatshirts. I have always been that way to a point, although when I was in high school I got a job and actually bought myself a $100.00 outfit :eek: Now, looking back, I can't believe that I wasted so much on one outfit. I see and hear of so many people that have so little, I feel to guilty spending excess money on myself.