PDA

View Full Version : a silly question

ilovecats
12-31-2005, 12:04 PM
Is catnip harmful in any way at all??
thnx Debi. :rolleyes:

catnapper
12-31-2005, 12:13 PM
Nope. Its not like drugs humans take. It produces a nice little high, and all cats react differently to it. Some get really mellow, some get very wired. Some don't seem affected by it at all. :)

ilovecats
12-31-2005, 12:15 PM
thanks for your reply iv bought some but was just checking before i used it..
thanx again.
Debi.

Felix
12-31-2005, 01:04 PM
I use to think it was like a drug to cats before I learned the differance on PT.After I discovered it wasnt bad for my kitty I went out and bought a huge bag of nip for Felix.Lets just say he never aquired a taste for the stuff and I ended up giving the bag of nip to by brothers cats.Oh well I tried :rolleyes: Not all cats go nuts for the stuff,just try your kitty on a small bit first...you will know if the kitty likes it or not almost right away!

orangemm
12-31-2005, 01:19 PM
It might help to try different brands, maybe that might work? A co-worker of mine got some catnip spray for Xmas for her cats and they LOVE it, plus no mess.

lvpets2002
12-31-2005, 01:59 PM
:) First of all there is no such thing as a silly question; unless it is never asked.. Second Welcome to Pet Talk & enjoy all the talks & pictures..
Catnip is not harmfull & I have six babies that each act different when around it..

ilovecats
12-31-2005, 04:03 PM
Thanks for all your replies, its really put my mind at rest.
Debi. :D

Soapets
12-31-2005, 04:42 PM
It may not be harmful to cats, but my son took a bag of it to school one day during his freshman year, and got suspended from school for three days for having a "marijuana look-alike" in his possession! :rolleyes: :D ;)

(Of course he didn't tell the kids otherwise---thought it was funny that they thought it was marijuana, until somebody reported him for it and he was summmoned to the principal's office! The police confiscated it and did tests on it to make sure it wasn't marijuana!)

Deb

lvpets2002
01-01-2006, 03:35 PM
It may not be harmful to cats, but my son took a bag of it to school one day during his freshman year, and got suspended from school for three days for having a "marijuana look-alike" in his possession! :rolleyes: :D ;)

(Of course he didn't tell the kids otherwise---thought it was funny that they thought it was marijuana, until somebody reported him for it and he was summmoned to the principal's office! The police confiscated it and did tests on it to make sure it wasn't marijuana!)

Deb
:D :p Oh Deb this just made my New Years Day.. That is just too funny.. I guess the Cops smell the diff.. I am still laughing..

carole
01-01-2006, 04:10 PM
My cats just are not very interested in catnip, but if my son goes for workout at the gym and consquently leaves his shirt lying in the bathroom floor, my cats go simply wild, both of them, it is always only his shirts, we figure they love the smell of his sweat and deoderant mixed together, he is a lynx man,(excuse the description) i jokingly tell him you should bottle that stuff as a new brand of catnip, honestly the cats go absolutely bananas,smooching it and rubbing on it, like other cats do with catnip. :)

TopCat3
01-02-2006, 12:56 AM
My cats just are not very interested in catnip, but if my son goes for workout at the gym and consquently leaves his shirt lying in the bathroom floor, my cats go simply wild, both of them, it is always only his shirts, we figure they love the smell of his sweat and deoderant mixed together, he is a lynx man,(excuse the description) i jokingly tell him you should bottle that stuff as a new brand of catnip, honestly the cats go absolutely bananas,smooching it and rubbing on it, like other cats do with catnip. :)

My cats aren't drawn to catnip either, but someone once told me that generally Siamese aren't - can anyone verify/contra this? Anyway my cats do a similar thing, Carole, with my shoes. I have a shoe-rack by the front door and they love to rub the sides of their faces along my shoes, especially when I come home after being away all day. It's as if they can't get enough "Mummy essence" on themselves. Colette even hooks out the orthotics and rolls around on them! (Weird...) BTW my feet aren't unpleasant to be around, if you get my drift, nothing like that...

G535
01-02-2006, 02:04 AM
I read somewhere that in our part of the world (Australia/NewZealand) cats are immune to catnip, if I find the article again I'll post it. I know my cat is just not interested at all, he gets his "high" from the other half's smelly clothes too! :)

TopCat3
01-02-2006, 02:53 AM
I read somewhere that in our part of the world (Australia/NewZealand) cats are immune to catnip, if I find the article again I'll post it. I know my cat is just not interested at all, he gets his "high" from the other half's smelly clothes too! :)

Now that's really interesting. I would love you to post the article if you find it - or PM me to let me know you have it please. I hadn't heard that.

G535
01-02-2006, 06:59 PM
http://www.catsplay.com/thedailycat/2003-04-14/mind_happycat/heavenly_catnip/heavenly_catnip.html

That's not the original article I read but all I can find at the moment, I'm almost certain the other article mentioned New Zealand too.

TopCat3
01-03-2006, 02:18 AM
http://www.catsplay.com/thedailycat/2003-04-14/mind_happycat/heavenly_catnip/heavenly_catnip.html

That's not the original article I read but all I can find at the moment, I'm almost certain the other article mentioned New Zealand too.

Thank you so much for that. This looks like a nice website, I'll add it to my favourites. Thanks for introducing me to it. :)

carole
01-03-2006, 02:54 AM
Wow how interesting I never knew that fact, well it must be true because mine are just not interested in it much at all.

Maya & Inka's mommy
01-03-2006, 04:50 AM
It is not harmful at all. The only thing you have to know that ome cats get agressive when they get catnip! I saw that once at a friends' house; omg, was that boy mad!!! :eek:

ilovecats
01-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Thanks for all replies.
What a friendly site this is :D
Debi.