PDA

View Full Version : The same procedure as every year: Kitties are scared by the fireworks

Kirsten
12-31-2005, 09:57 AM
Since yesterday, you can hear the banging of the New Year's fireworks and firecrackers all the time now, and it's scaring the girls.

It's Luna who is most scared by them, and she's hiding in the living room most of the time now. But even Lily is getting nervous by them. I feel so sorry for them when I think about tonight.

I will stay at home tonight to be with them. I don't want them to be home alone when hell breaks loose outside...

Hope all our kitties will be fine tonight...

Kirsten

Sonia59
12-31-2005, 10:33 AM
Poor girls! :( Hey, come here Luna and Lily, we don't have them over here, especially in my little village! ;)

boscibo
12-31-2005, 10:51 AM
Luckily, my town is not very big on NYE fireworks...4th of July is the big one here. My cats don't have a big problem with them and often watch the city's fireworks through our front windows!

However, we do have a dog that is frightened by fireworks. He is deaf now ( :( ) so they don't bother him anymore but when he could hear it was tough. We would stay with him and he would go in the basement as soon as he heard a boom. If a basement isn't an option, could you spend time with them in a closed room with the music or TV turned up? Maybe that would help the cats not hear them.

I totally understand having frightened animals and wishing the idiots who are lighting these things off would stop!

Felix
12-31-2005, 11:29 AM
I hope your kittys dont get too frightened :(

catmandu
12-31-2005, 05:12 PM
I know that the Porchies are scared of Fireworks as they have had them thrown at them,if any of the brats see them.
Scratchy had one of his ear burned last year and I think that hes a bit deaf on that side,as he swivels his head to look at me.

Miss Z
12-31-2005, 05:16 PM
We are having NYE fireworks, but Zsa-Zsa will be staying snug in the living room, and we've informed our neighbours that have dogs and cats that we'll be having them and they can keep them indoors. If everyone took these precautions then fireworks wouldn't cause so many runaway dogs and cats.

Randi
12-31-2005, 05:38 PM
Kirsten, I know exactly what you mean, it's the same here - horrendous!! :(

It's after 24.00, that's when it really starts! I went down to get Pjevs in the yard, he's been in my bathroom for the last two hours, that's a closed room, so is pretty quiet and he's relaxed. I gave him food and water. so far he's emptied two bowls of food. :) Fister is scared and under the bed, even though I gave 2.5 mg Diazepam. :( I have the TV on too.

Hope this stops soon so I can get some sleep!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVEERYONE! :)

G535
12-31-2005, 06:18 PM
They are banned here except for organized displays, one at 10PM for the children and one at midnight. They only last for about ten minutes and we are far enough away from the noise that the cat and dog don't take much notice.

Chilli
12-31-2005, 10:05 PM
Khaith has the same problem. If he hears any loud noise(fireworks in particular), he runs to hide behind the washing machine. I actually don't remember if our town does fireworks on New Years! :o ... I doubt they do.... I suppose I'll find out! :D

chocolatepuppy
12-31-2005, 11:41 PM
We don't have a lot of fireworks on New Years Eve here, thank goodness. Most people shoot off guns ( that's scarey. :rolleyes: ) My Sassy is afraid of everything, Missy of nothing. ;)

kilbarchancats
01-01-2006, 03:35 AM
Same here too. I HATE HATE HATE them soo much, it makes me absolutely raging. Poor Max was terrified. He was hiding like mad in every corner, wanting in the washing machine. Our village was like the front line in Basra, the noise was incredible. it went on for about an hour. ban the lot I say. You might as well set light to your money.

Kirsten
01-01-2006, 07:10 AM
as they have had them thrown at them,if any of the brats see them.

Oh Gary, that is just awful!! :( I don't know what I would do with these kids if they would do that to any of my cats!

It's interesting that some towns/areas/countries do only allow organized fireworks. That's a good thing, I think. Unfortunately, in Germany, you can buy them everywhere after Christmas, and people usually spend a lot of money on it. Every New Year's Eve, my heart goes out to all the animals outside, strays in the towns or the wild animals in the forests... It scares them so much! :(

Kirsten