PDA

View Full Version : need a little advice

ilovecats
12-30-2005, 11:20 AM
IM NEW HERE PLEASE HELP

Iv just adopted two rescue cats Simba will come out play eat everything but Black Cat (whos not yet been named yet because im trying to find a name that suits him) hes so scared hes eating well he comes out and uses the litter tray but i feel so sorry for him sitting somewhere dark and on his own, i go to hin every 15/30 mins to check him and give him a fuss (he dont mind fusses) is there any other ways i can persuade him that we aint like his other owners and that we love him very much?
any advice would help
Debi x

moosmom
12-30-2005, 11:41 AM
It may take him a while to get acclamated. Try giving him a little catnip. That will help him to relax. Get a "teaser" wand with a bunch of feathers on the end and try playing with him. Sit with him and throw treats. He'll like that. But just be patient. Cats aren't in favor of change so it takes them a while.

kuddlekitty56
12-30-2005, 11:47 AM
Food is the number one motivator of cats. I would suggest putting wet food out, and, if he doesn't mind this, pet him while he eats. Soon he should associate you with the wonderful food, and might be a little less scared. If you have children, make sure they know not to scare the cat. Cats like predictable environments.

catmandu
12-30-2005, 01:06 PM
Love TLC and Patience will work wonders and that Black Cat will soon be more social.
Tubby2,was afraid of me,at first but now hes a Social Butterfly,and making Friends here left and right!!

carole
12-30-2005, 02:09 PM
Just be patient, my lil Lexie another black kitty was much the same when she came to live with me, it was suprising because at first she was friendly as can be rolling over having her tummy tickled etc, but then she took to hiding under my daughter's bed for almost a week, she is still timid but that is just her nature, but she is a wonderful pet, your lil blackie will be just fine in time., just be gentle and patient with kitty, I always imagine how i would feel if i were taken to a strange house, i would be scared too. :)

catnapper
12-30-2005, 02:20 PM
If he was abused, or even feral, he's going to need a lot of time and patience. Some people suggest leaving a tv or radio on for him to always hear something soothing, like classical music. Perhaps if you just spent time in the room, reading, watching tv, doing paperwork, talking on the phone, etc and not purely in there to fuss with them, they'd become accustomed to you sooner. They'd definately watch and learn your natural movements and will feel safer in your presence.

If the blackie was ever "punished" for eating (either by a human or another animal) he's going to feel scared to eat. Can you put the food and litterbox in his dark space? He'll be much more cofortable eating in there. Then s-l-o-w-l-y move his dish away from his dark space and into the open. I'm talking an inch or so a day or every other day! Change of any kind can throw a cat through a loop. The litterbox can be something as small as a baking sheet (those aluminum foil ones are great for this) so that it fits under a bed or on the floor of a small closet. Provide a soft spot for him to sleep in his dark spot. Offer him toys (like catnip) and a soft stuffed animal. Believe it or not, some cats DO take to a stuffed animal for comfort.

ilovecats
12-30-2005, 02:52 PM
Thank you for your kind words i was just reasuring myself that i wasnt making things worse for my little Black Cat.
Im sure he will come out and play in his own time he sat under the microwave (its on a stand) and watched me wash up earlier so i think he feels comfy around me ;) which im glad about. thank you again
Debi.

rg_girlca
12-30-2005, 04:33 PM
First off, Welcome to Pet Talk Debi. :)

Bless you for rescuing these two adorable little ones and congraulations on your newest additions to the family. That is such a cute picture of them.

Everyone has given you such great advice. :D

Your comment about the black one watching you while you washed up made me laugh. Maybe you should call him, "Peeping Tom", aka Tom. ;)
(Just joshin with ya.)