PDA

View Full Version : Is there one thing in your life that you've regretted NOT doing??

moosmom
12-30-2005, 08:07 AM
I got to thinking about this the other day and thought I'd start a thread on it.

In your current lifetime, have you ever regretted NOT doing, for instance, sky diving, scuba diving, etc. Tell us a little bit about it. Why you never did it and why you regret not doing it.

Alysser
12-30-2005, 10:02 AM
I didn't regret swimming with dolphins in the Florida Keys two years ago. It was so much fun. The dolphins were named Nicky and Leo nad they were the sweetest creatures I have ever met:D

sandragonfly
12-30-2005, 10:15 AM
hmm, nothing yet.. I have plenty years to do everything I want to!

oh, well, I heard the fact.. there's zillions, zillions of restaurant out there, if you visit three each a day for 40 years, you've tasted all of them! I bet I'll regret I haven't taste some! ;) :p

JenBKR
12-30-2005, 12:37 PM
Nope - not a thing. I am a pretty religious person, so I believe that anything that I have not done was just not meant to be :)

Miss Z
12-30-2005, 12:49 PM
I regret all the times that i've not been able to convince my mum to get me another pet everytime we somewhere where there are animals lol lol lol

But i suppose i also regret not going scuba diving in Turkey, although we might be going to Mexico next summer, where they have one of the largest coral reefs in the world to scuba dive on, so that's not too bad:)

I don't regret that much in my life, as long as i've got animals, then i'll be alright:) ;)

Roxyluvsme13
12-30-2005, 01:04 PM
Hmmmmmm...Hopefully I still have plenty of years to do everything, but I dont think there's anything yet!

Edwina's Secretary
12-30-2005, 01:12 PM
When I was in college I was in a very big hurry to "start living." So I accelerated, went to classes year round and finished in three years. I could not take a class for "fun."

If I had it to do again...I would stay in college five or six years and take lots of different classes...whether they had to do with my major or not!

JenBKR
12-30-2005, 02:01 PM
If I had it to do again...I would stay in college five or six years and take lots of different classes...whether they had to do with my major or not!

That's pretty much what I did - I took lots of different classes - I couldn't decide whether I wanted to major in English, Psychology, Sociology, or Criminal Justice, so I took a bunch of classes in all of them! :eek: I actually enjoyed it though, but I was in college for a loooong time!

carole
12-30-2005, 02:03 PM
There are a few things, the first being I wished I had gone ahead and got my drivers licence, Travelled more, especially to the land of my birth, I had the opportunity offered free flight just my spending money to go with my parents, but i had just got back from the States and could not be bothered scrimping and saving again, boy do I regret that, I now probably will never go there due to my health and lack of money, I regret that so much, and also not having a kitty for over 18 years due to being allergic to kitties, now of course i know it was possible all along.

Sometimes I wished I had another child, just after Melissa was born for company for her, but then again my health took a turn for the worse just after her birth, so it would not have been a good idea, moneywise either.

Take note to anyone who is dying to leave school, I wished I had stayed on longer into what we call our sixth form, i had the marks to go there ,but i had sat my exams and passed and just up and left, because i thought i knew what i wanted to do and that was become a nurse, I went nurse aiding until i was old enough and by then i was not keen anymore, so just went from job to job, i regret not having a proper career as such, and wished i had done some study.

Kfamr
12-30-2005, 02:58 PM
I kind of regret not being more spontaneous/outgoing in school. I am really outgoing now, I never was in school, however I think me being out of school is the reason - I'm in a much better state of mind than I used to be in school!

lv4dogs
12-30-2005, 03:03 PM
yup, only one thing though, for not turning down my current job & staying at the vets office.

moosmom
12-31-2005, 10:34 AM
I regret not taking piano lessons. I've always loved piano music (my favorites are Jim Brickman, George Winston, early Yanni) and am in awe of anyone who can play classics.

I also regret not staying at my job at the Hartford Courant. I really miss it. I especially miss not writing my weekly "Pet of the Week" column.

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-31-2005, 10:54 AM
I regret wasn't very outgoing when I was still studying. All that counted for me were my studies. While others made lots of fun, I was a good quiet girl... :(
I also regret I never learned to play the guitar. My parents forced me to play the piano, guitar was out of the question. I did buy a guitar after I got married, but never got the chance to follow lessons.
Now, here I am, with NO piano to play on, and a guitar I cannot play on :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cataholic
12-31-2005, 12:02 PM
When I was in college I was in a very big hurry to "start living." So I accelerated, went to classes year round and finished in three years. I could not take a class for "fun."

I thought that was what getting a Master's degree was all about....he he he.

I 'regret' not applying myself to learning a foreign language- spanish. WOW would it be a benefit to me now. :eek:

Karen
12-31-2005, 12:36 PM
I regret not taking piano lessons. I've always loved piano music (my favorites are Jim Brickman, George Winston, early Yanni) and am in awe of anyone who can play classics.

I also regret not staying at my job at the Hartford Courant. I really miss it. I especially miss not writing my weekly "Pet of the Week" column.

It is NOT TOO LATE! You can take piano lessons as an adult! My sister and her husband have a piano school that specializes in teaching adults and children - they get different books, and taught differently, but everyone learns!

catnapper
12-31-2005, 12:59 PM
I regret not buying the Mustang I wanted, instead I bought the "safe" reliable car.... which turned out to be a lemon and I had to trade it in only 2 years later and take a huge finaincial hit on it when I bought the new car. It also turned out to NOT be safe --- many, many blind spots that a Mustang would not have had! :p

I've always done the safe and smart thing. For the most part, I am happy with my choices, but every once in a while I wish I could have just said "Oh what the heck!" and go with the flow.

BC_MoM
12-31-2005, 01:01 PM
Not going with Wolfie when he left for the Bridge.

Lady's Human
12-31-2005, 01:36 PM
Two things I have regretted not doing, both military related:

One, being a dumb private (EVERY private is a dumb private) and not going for the interview for the White House Communications staff. (essentially I had a job offered to me that less than 1% of the people in my job in the military get a shot at and I turned it down out of stupidity, I didn't believe my PLT Sgt when he told me they wanted to talk to me)

Two, not going to the Special Forces Qual course.

Barbara
12-31-2005, 02:11 PM
I've always done the safe and smart thing. For the most part, I am happy with my choices, but every once in a while I wish I could have just said "Oh what the heck!" and go with the flow.

I did not always do the smart and safe thing but most of the time... Whenever I took a risk someting happened I absolutely wouldn't want to have missed. So I wish I would have gone with the flow more often.

I am sorry that I didn't take singing lessons when I was 25. I thought about it then and thought I didn't have the money. I like singing so much and now my voice is no longer how it could have been....

I am grateful for any risk I took in my life!

G535
12-31-2005, 06:43 PM
Maybe I'm just old and cranky but I believe life is too short to worry about things not done and instead concentrate on all that can still be done. :)

Oggyflute
12-31-2005, 07:05 PM
Two things I have regretted not doing, both military related:

One, being a dumb private (EVERY private is a dumb private) and not going for the interview for the White House Communications staff. (essentially I had a job offered to me that less than 1% of the people in my job in the military get a shot at and I turned it down out of stupidity, I didn't believe my PLT Sgt when he told me they wanted to talk to me)

Two, not going to the Special Forces Qual course.

When in the Air Force, I regretted not finishing my armourers course. Basically being young, having to many choices and not really knowing what to do. I joined to travel, and thought that going to Number 1 Operational Support Unit, was the way to go. Travelled a bit, but not enough to satisfy me at the time. I was deeply regretting not finishing my course, when that golden oppurtunity LH mentions arose. For me it was to join 33Squadron, these guys were the glamour squadron of the Air Force, outside the fighter jocks. After nine months intensive training, I ended up flying all over the world. A case of being in the right place at the right time, and having a seargent that had the faith to put my name forward. You don't so much apply for this job as get endorsed or nominated. Then you have to go in front of a board, with 8 people firing questions at you. Mega stress but that was what it was designed for. Weed out the bounce of wall types. The top 3% of your trade get to go in front of the board, and about only 10% of them ever go through. The perfect job for a young bloke in his twenties. :)

Allecto
01-01-2006, 06:14 AM
Well, it was apologizing and trying to patch up a bit a certain relationship that I trashed as a teen while on a somewhat self-destructive binge. That was by far my top regret that I had a chance of doing something about. I'd never tried to set things right at all out of fear and pride. I was starting to type that yesterday, but instead I closed PT and started writing an email to that person's old address, not even knowing if it was still valid. I got a reply, and it was actually positive!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: Only written a few emails and exchanged cell numbers, but already we've both worked out a lot of emotional baggage we'd been carrying. Thank you thank you Moosmom for starting a thread that was the final kick in the pants I needed! I still have my fair share of regrets, but am happily starting out my New Year with one less ;) .

Man, no wonder you guys warn people that PT is addictive...

cloverfdx
01-01-2006, 08:20 AM
Yes i have plenty of regrets unfortunatly, some that will never happen now :( and one that i am working on (Just need a little bit of courage :p). I have a good feeling about this year but there are going to be some huge changes made to my life.

Ohh and MM if my fingers were not so short and pudgy i would have learnt the piano years ago, i am going to try this year though (Classical ;) ).

moosmom
01-01-2006, 09:49 AM
Maya & Inka's Mommy,

I taught myself how to play the guitar when I was in high school. It's so easy, and they have books that show you chords, finger placement and songs.

There's a story...

my Mom went out and got my brother a really cheap guitar with Green Stamps. He taught himself and my parents later bought him a really nice Gibson guitar.

The guitar ended up being used by 4 other family members who all learned on their own. That memory really makes me smile! :D