PDA

View Full Version : bored blue weim!

kamig
12-30-2005, 01:24 AM
My 3 yr old blue weim, Zeus, and his brother Archie (shepard/husky) are bored! Over the summer, they went to dog parks, but now its cold and Zeus and I don't prefer to be outside very long! I could bundle up (if that was the only problem), but Zeus sits at the door to go back inside! Also, dog parks are empty, so it's not much fun for them. Any ideas for indoor/winter activities? Kongs, Buster Cubes, etc... only work for a short time and aren't enough physically! Also, if I play with one dog, the other jumps in and it becomes too rough for me! Any ideas would be helpful! Thanks, Kami

buttercup132
12-30-2005, 08:18 AM
a treadmill maybe :confused: n

GoldenLuv
12-30-2005, 08:33 AM
a treadmill maybe :confused: n

y not still take them to the dog park maybe a really long walk or something like that might help

BitsyNaceyDog
12-30-2005, 09:07 AM
I agree that you should still take him for long walks. If you can't get him out for a good walk than you could use a treadmill, but I wouldn't use it everyday. Also if you're going to use a treadmill please seek out a safe way to do so, doing it wrong could be very dangerous. Try to get him out for walks as much as possible, there is so much more outside for him than just getting exercise. He needs the stimulation of smells in the fresh air and all the different things to see.

I understand about Zeus getting cold, my miniature pinscher hates cold wether too. He will run outside to go potty then he wants right back inside. I put a doggie sweater on him and he's then fine, he'll stay out and plays a bit. If his feet are cold they make little dog booties too.

Karen
12-30-2005, 09:11 AM
They do make doggie sweaters - I see them on greyhounds around here all the time. A nice blue sweater and a romp to the park, say I!

Alysser
12-30-2005, 10:14 AM
Maybe some rawhide bones or toys! I would not use a treadmill because that is used to train dogs in Illegal dog fighting and someone may suspect something. Also, a dog could get seriously injured. Go to Petco and let the dogs pick out there own toys.

lv4dogs
12-30-2005, 10:37 AM
I agree with continuing the long walks everyday. You can purchase a dog sweater and even boots for him or he may not even need them. One you get walking it may up his body temp to a more comfortable level. I know when I first start out a walk in the cold winter months I am a little chilly but warm up soon after moving.

How about a game you can play in the house? Hide & seak? Or if you have a long hallway like I do you can play fetch downt he hallway. (I just sit on the couch & throw the ball down the hallway, a very lazy way for me to exercise Kaige).

Even simple things like taking them along for a ride when you run errands or the like.