PDA

View Full Version : Miko, fat or sick?

Queen of Poop
12-29-2005, 08:25 PM
My ferret Miko has become a really fat ferret. I am concerned by it and will be taking him to the vet first thing tomorrow morning to find out if indeed he's just fat or if it is something else. There is no change in his behavior so I'm not sure what to think. But these guys are so little that it's not worth it to take a chance. It would be really great if everyone could pray that he's just fat and in need of a change in diet.

Queen of Poop
12-30-2005, 12:16 PM
Ok. So he's not fat. His abdomen is full of milky colored blood. The vet took a bunch of samples and now we sit at home, trying to keep Miko quiet while we await the results. The prognosis is not good. While he shows no signs of being ill at all it could only be a matter of time. We have some antibiotics and iron supplements for the time being. He could have an injured spleen that is bleeding or a bleeding tumor. Now Miko needs prayers, in the worst way. I've got some recent photos I will download.

Queen of Poop
12-30-2005, 12:32 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid198/pc71152293dcc2fea969016331bc58a87/f0d56d5e.jpg

Miko, in the bathroom. Notice the fat, round lower half of him.

lv4dogs
12-30-2005, 12:58 PM
Oh sweetie, I am so sorry to hear that.

Can the vet do an exploratory surgery? How long will the results take? I hope soon, it seems with something like this time is of the essence.

If there is anything I can do let me know. I wish you's the best of luck.

Queen of Poop
12-30-2005, 01:38 PM
Oh sweetie, I am so sorry to hear that.

Can the vet do an exploratory surgery? How long will the results take? I hope soon, it seems with something like this time is of the essence.

If there is anything I can do let me know. I wish you's the best of luck.

The lab results should come in late today or tomorrow. I am hopeful that they can open him up and get rid of the blood that is pooling in his belly, at least that is what I think they should do. Hopefully the lab results will point toward what the problem is. He is resting now, but shows no outward sign of being sick yet. He even did his daily dump of the water bowl!! Thank you for your good thoughts.

Roxyluvsme13
12-30-2005, 03:08 PM
:( I'm so sorry! Poor Miko! ((((HUGS)))) Sending lots of good thoughts and prayers, I hope he gets better soon, and that they can do something....

Queen of Poop
12-30-2005, 05:06 PM
The vet just called and has just faxed me the lab results in case we need to visit an emergency clinic this weekend. Miko is a little anemic, but his red cell count is not too low. His blood chemistry looks good. The fluid in his belly is blood with LOTS of white cells. Suspicion is that his spleen is injured (how does this happen???) and will hopefully self heal, or that he has a bleeding tumor (vet found no tumors when he had his hairball surgery in June). I am to continue with the antibiotics and iron supplements and to ensure he eats well. He also needs to be kept quiet - this will be a feat in itself, but so far he is being cooperative. We will consider an ultrasound next week, but it might be useless because of the amount of fluid in his belly.

Thanks everyone for listening. I pray that we have an uneventful weekend and the meds help him get better.

CagneyDog
12-30-2005, 06:39 PM
I'll have Miko in my prayers. I sure hope he will be okay.

sandragonfly
01-02-2006, 12:05 AM
:( words with picture made me sad - sorry no any further advice but I sure hope he'll get better! of course, our little miko will remain in our prayers, please keep us posted! there are many injuried/sick animals out there but I wouldn't forget this little fella. a gentle hands-hug from me for him please? :)

and ((((hugs)))) to you too!

Miss Z
01-02-2006, 11:07 AM
I really hope that Miko recovers from this awful ordeal:(

Poor little guy:(

Queen of Poop
01-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Miko is about the same. The fluid seems to be sitting really low in his body now. It's hard to pick him up cause he's really skinny at the shoulders and huge at the bottom. I'll try to get a photo of him after his nap. I will talk to the vet tomorrow about our go forward plan. We sure need all the prayers we can get. Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'll be sure to give him a kiss for each of you.

Queen of Poop
01-02-2006, 08:49 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid198/p64860b649b24b59fffc7381a0e2b3ba1/f0c4ff47.jpg

Miko, after his antibiotics and iron supplment, not to happy with his Mommie.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid198/p6646121cd4bc27982aedfc6e3fcf5053/f0c4feb6.jpg

Miko, having his reward, some yummy chicken soup.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid198/pc41223d7d700adade99cbc8eedcced76/f0c4fe16.jpg

Miko, soup done, showing how misproportioned he has become. Hopefully the vet can help.

Roxyluvsme13
01-03-2006, 09:22 AM
Poor Miko :(. He's still in my thoughts and prayers...(((HUGS)))

lv4dogs
01-03-2006, 11:56 AM
Hoping Miko is still doing ok considering. Any new news yet?

You's are still in my prayers.

Queen of Poop
01-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Hoping Miko is still doing ok considering. Any new news yet?

You's are still in my prayers.

He's doing ok. Seems to be bigger (fuller) and is quite itchy (skin stretched to the max). I put in a call to the vet and should hear back from her in the next couple of hours (she doesn't start till 1). I'm at work and I pray that he's doing ok at home. Thanks for keeping us in your prayers.

lv4dogs
01-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Oh I hope the vet can do something to help comfort him soon.

Can they aspirate the fluid that is built up to help releive some dis-comfort?

Queen of Poop
01-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Oh I hope the vet can do something to help comfort him soon.

Can they aspirate the fluid that is built up to help releive some dis-comfort?

That will be one question that I ask when she calls me. When I left this morning I planted a big kiss on his tummy so I hope that made him feel a bit better.

Queen of Poop
01-03-2006, 02:27 PM
The vet has booked Miko for exploratory surgery tomorrow morning. I am to drop him off at 7:30 am. Fingers crossed that this will be a good thing. I fear I may lose my sweet, white boy tomorrow. :(

Miss Z
01-03-2006, 02:28 PM
I will be thinking of you and Miko tomorrow, hang in there little fellow.

sandragonfly
01-03-2006, 03:36 PM
of course many, many paws crossed and sticking here until we hear the next good update! :(

hang in there, hope the best for you - ((((gentle huggy))))

p.s. did the vet said anything about what lvdogs asked? sounds just what miko really need. :confused:

lv4dogs
01-03-2006, 03:47 PM
That sweet Miko will certainly be in my thought tomorrow. Sending tons of good thoughts for a successful, speedy operation & recovery!

Queen of Poop
01-03-2006, 04:01 PM
of course many, many paws crossed and sticking here until we hear the next good update! :(

hang in there, hope the best for you - ((((gentle huggy))))

p.s. did the vet said anything about what lvdogs asked? sounds just what miko really need. :confused:

The vet hopes to be able to drain the fluid and find the source of the bleeding. Because without stopping the bleeding he will just fill up again. I'll be heading home in an hour, I hope he's had a good day. I'll be loving him up lots tonight, just in case it is our last night.

Queen of Poop
01-03-2006, 08:41 PM
Oh boy. Miko is going downhill. He's now looking like a really sick little guy. He's got no energy. When I pick him up and hold him he's sort of limp. He's going down fast. I'm off to the emergency clinic.

Queen of Poop
01-03-2006, 09:43 PM
I'm back from emergency. They kept Miko. They will try to keep him stable tonight so I can get him to his surgery appointment tomorrow. I'm so very afraid that he is going to die.

sandragonfly
01-03-2006, 10:51 PM
posting again... I know, I hope you don't mind! but I sure hope he'll make another night through for you.

((((more)))) and thoughts be with you both. . .please let us know the minute you hear from miko, I'm anxiously waiting..

Queen of Poop
01-04-2006, 09:57 AM
Miko made it thru the night well and I took him this morning to his ferret vet for surgery. He was a bit perkier after having fluids all night. The vet called an hour ago asking if he could do an xray. He said he suspects an enlarged heart. Surgery is scheduled for later this morning. His brother Sebastian had a long lonely night last night and was pretty cranky with me this morning that his bro was still not home.

lv4dogs
01-04-2006, 01:20 PM
Oh no, I just read this. Yous are in my htoughts still, more than you know. I hope he makes it & they find something that is treatable.

I wish yous the very best of luck.

Hang in there Miko, you can do it sweet guy.

Queen of Poop
01-04-2006, 02:53 PM
No surgery now. But meds for an enlarged heart and diuretic to help rid his body of the fluid are coming. I'm going to pick him up in 2 hours, will update with more details when we get home.

My Peanuts
01-04-2006, 03:24 PM
I'm so sorry about Milo. Prayers are on the way and please keep us updated as you have been. Hang in there Milo!

dab_20
01-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Oh, I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier. Miko, good thoughts and prayers heading your way!! Please get better soon, your mamma and brother is worried about you and love you too much to lose you, sweetie!! {{{SOFTHUGGIES}}}

Queen of Poop
01-05-2006, 08:55 AM
Sorry all, I promised an update last night, but I was too tired and fell asleep on the couch beside Miko's cage. He had a good night. Took his meds last night and again this morning and ate heartily his chicken soup. Sebastian was delighted to have his buddy back home, they snuggled all night. I reviewed the xrays with the vet yesterday. Miko is completely full of fluid, even his lungs are floating. Hopefully the meds will rid his body of some of this fluid. The vet still suspects an enlarged heart, but doesn't know the cause. I will take Miko back to the vet next Thursday for another check up and more xrays to see if the meds are doing anything for him. I gave him a big hug last night from all the people that were thinking of him. Thank you everyone, you don't know how much it means to me.

lv4dogs
01-05-2006, 09:10 AM
They didn't aspirate some of the fluids that have accumilated inside of him? I know that the fluid would most likely return but it will help tremendously for a little while at least.

I would think that help him a lot, it will especially make him more comfortable. It should help him until the meds can kick in.

They do that with animals & humans all of the time.

I wish only the best for the sweet Miko man.

sandragonfly
01-05-2006, 09:58 AM
oh great, I'm glad you didn't have to go through the worst, miko! I pray and will pray, hope harder that the meds you're trying right now will bring a miracle! I really do, wish the best out of you. poor you didn't have to go through all of this, especially they don't know what or why!

queen of poop, don't worry - I didn't get updates just til this morning - miko is very very lucky to have you as the greatest caretaker. please keep us posted on how he's doing.. (((hugs to you too)))

Queen of Poop
01-05-2006, 11:36 AM
They didn't aspirate some of the fluids that have accumilated inside of him? I know that the fluid would most likely return but it will help tremendously for a little while at least.

I would think that help him a lot, it will especially make him more comfortable. It should help him until the meds can kick in.

They do that with animals & humans all of the time.

I wish only the best for the sweet Miko man.

The vet prefered not to put him thru any more trauma yesterday. If there is no change with the meds I will request they try to remove fluid with a needle.

lv4dogs
01-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Hows Miko today? I hope all is well.

Queen of Poop
01-06-2006, 11:06 AM
I was concerned last night as I'd given the meds 3 times and didn't see Miko going potty. Called the vet, as we were speaking Miko got up and was eyeing his mommy. I got him out of the cage and took him into the bathroom, a safe place for him to roam around. He walked directly to the corner, behind the toilet and did his business, lots of business. Ya hoo. Things are starting to move. I put him back in the cage so I could clean up. He stayed awake for about a half hour, keeping an eye on me and being real attentive when I talked to him. He was good this morning before I left for work too. I hope this is progress and that the meds are doing the right job for him.

lv4dogs
01-06-2006, 12:26 PM
Oh thats great news! I hope he continues to improve.

Is the swelling (fluids) going down any that you can see?

Roxyluvsme13
01-06-2006, 02:03 PM
Yay Miko! I hope the meds help. He's still in my thoughts and prayers...

Queen of Poop
01-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Oh thats great news! I hope he continues to improve.

Is the swelling (fluids) going down any that you can see?

He does not appear to be getting any smaller - yet. But he was more attentive so I take that as he is at least feeling better.

Roxyluvsme13
01-07-2006, 09:56 AM
He does not appear to be getting any smaller - yet. But he was more attentive so I take that as he is at least feeling better.
Thats great! I hope he gets smaller and feeling 10 times better ASAP.

Queen of Poop
01-09-2006, 09:38 AM
All is not good.

Miko is not any smaller and he is not going potty. I have a call in with the vet to see if there is any more aggressive action we can take or if it is time to let him go.

Had him out running around for a bit yesterday, he seemed pretty good. He is such a sweetie pie. Had him out for a bit this morning just to see if he'd potty on the floor, in any corner, I'd have been thrilled to clean up the mess but he didn't make one.

Roxyluvsme13
01-09-2006, 02:42 PM
:( That's terrible. I hope they can do something for him. ((HUGS))

lv4dogs
01-09-2006, 03:00 PM
oh no I am so sorry to hear that.

Still sending prayers for that sweet boy and you too. {{hugs}}

Queen of Poop
01-09-2006, 04:07 PM
I am taking Miko to the vet tomorrow morning. He will come in early and do an exploratory on Miko. If Miko is not "fixable" they will just not let him wake up and my sweet white boy will be gone. :( :( :( :(

lv4dogs
01-10-2006, 09:19 AM
Oh sweetie, I am wishing for the best for Miko & you.
Love him lots this morning & give him a sweet kiss from me please.

He's in my thoughts today, more so than ever before.
We love you Miko!

Queen of Poop
01-10-2006, 10:12 AM
Oh sweetie, I am wishing for the best for Miko & you.
Love him lots this morning & give him a sweet kiss from me please.

He's in my thoughts today, more so than ever before.
We love you Miko!

Thank you. He's at the vets now and I sit here and wait for news. He was very active this morning, he's a strong boy. I pray that he will come thru the surgery.

Queen of Poop
01-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Here, we go. The vet just called, they're going to get underway with the exploratory. Please, please let it be operable and fixable.

sandragonfly
01-10-2006, 11:19 AM
oh dear, just caught up all of this I'm sorry I didn't hear anything better! :( :(

of course, lots of prayers with wishes going over, dusting over (y)our little white boy for the best from us!!

I'm so sorry the medicine didn't help. I'm waiting here and hope to hear a positive note this time! we all love you miko, be okay!

(((hugs)))

lv4dogs
01-10-2006, 11:27 AM
Oh sweeite, hang in there. I hope all goes well. He's still in my prayers!

Roxyluvsme13
01-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Good Luck Miko! I hope you're ok..

Queen of Poop
01-10-2006, 02:38 PM
Miko is waking up from his surgery. He's not out of the woods yet, but he's still with us. Following is the list of what they found/did:

Removed 800 ml of fluid - 3 cups worth
Biopsied: tumor on pancreas, cystic pouches on liver, lymph nodes and the weird growth they found near his intestines.

Thank you everyone for your good thoughts/prayers for my sweet Miko. I can't wait to go get him. :)

Roxyluvsme13
01-10-2006, 03:00 PM
Miko is waking up from his surgery. He's not out of the woods yet, but he's still with us. Following is the list of what they found/did:

Removed 800 ml of fluid - 3 cups worth
Biopsied: tumor on pancreas, cystic pouches on liver, lymph nodes and the weird growth they found near his intestines.

Thank you everyone for your good thoughts/prayers for my sweet Miko. I can't wait to go get him. :)
Yay! Thats great! Give Miko some gentle hugs for me:)