PDA

View Full Version : Heartburn Anyone?

catnapper
12-29-2005, 08:25 AM
Anyone else have heartburn? I woke up at 5:00 AM with incredible heartburn this morning. After popping 2 Pepcids and not being able to go back to sleep, I ate half a bottle of Tums and STILL feel awful. I am actually in some serious pain right now, unlike any I've ever experienced with heartburn.... I feel a tightening of the chest. If the pain was on my left, I'd be having a panic attack on top of the heartburn for fear I was having heart trouble. Hubby just called me a hypochondriac :rolleyes:

The doctor gave me a prescription for Protonix (apparently best for night-time GERD) and I just filled it.... so here I sit waiting and praying it takes affect SOON. The pharamicist says I should feel relief in a few hours. HOURS??? What about NOW?

I am killing myself for that 8:30 dinner of chicken fingers and fries, despite the fact I cooked it in the oven instead of frying it -- that was a bad bad thing for me to eat!

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-29-2005, 08:40 AM
I'm no doctor, but I think that your stomach got upset by the food you ate last night... . Eat things that digest easily today, and drink a lot. Maybe it will all be over by tomorrow!
When I have heartburn, I take MAALOX, which is a white fluid. It takes pain away really fast.
GOOD LUCK!!

Felix
12-29-2005, 11:17 AM
Tis the season for heartburn ;) I find Malox works well for me.

JenBKR
12-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Ugh, I hate heartburn. I've gotten it a few times, and nothing seems to fix it. I'm only 26, I hate to see what it's like in 20 years! :eek:

caseysmom
12-29-2005, 01:08 PM
Kim, You are not a hyphochondriac, heart disease is the biggest killer of women, much worse than breast cancer. Those could be symptoms of heart problems and shouldn't be taken lightly.

My husband was having some pains in his arm and they ran an ekg that day, you should do the same, better safe than sorry.

Biscuit's Mom
12-29-2005, 01:18 PM
Maalox - yukkkkk! - That stuff makes me sick. And I mean throwing up sick.

I wouldn't want to alarm you, but I've always heard that a heart attack, when happening to a woman, will not necessarily feel the same as one that is happening to a man (e.g. pain on left side of chest, radiating down the left arm). In women it can be an all over chest pain/tightening sort of thing.

If you didn't get relief from Pepcid (which always works for me) and don't get relief soon from the prescription, you really should probably get that checked out. The continuing "serious pain" along with the chest tightening would really concern me.

Please let us know how you are.

Robin (aka Biscuit's Mom)

catnapper
12-29-2005, 01:22 PM
The new meds have kicked in. I knew it wasn't the heart, mainly because I could feel the pain all up and down my esophogus and its burning all along the "trail"

I still feel buring, but nothing compared to what I felt this morning. Hubby made me lunch this afternoon -- yup, you guessed it: leftover fries and Chicken fingers. Think I'm going to touch them? Its making me sick to THINK about it. His answer to me when I told him that I don't want them because of heartburn? I quote, "your heartburn wouldn't be so bad if you ate something." :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

caseysmom
12-29-2005, 01:25 PM
My trigger for heartburn is tomatoe sauce, once camping we had spagetti and red wine, I was dying and brought no medications...I went begging around the campsite until I found some tums.

catnapper
12-29-2005, 01:33 PM
My trigger for heartburn is tomatoe sauce, once camping we had spagetti and red wine, I was dying and brought no medications...I went begging around the campsite until I found some tums.
I gave up tomatoes and onions a looong time ago. Ask Jen Luckenbach how I order pizza. She thinks I murder pizza, but I HAVE to do it!

I KNOW I have to give up my caffeinated tea. As soon as Lipton comes out with cold brew decaf teabags for making iced tea, I'm there. In the meantime, I only drink hot or iced tea. I know the tea is NOT helping my heartburn. Sigh.

caseysmom
12-29-2005, 01:51 PM
I drink a ton of coffee and that doesn't seem to be a trigger, thank god I am a coffee addict.