PDA

View Full Version : Taking antibiotics = feeling funky?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-28-2005, 08:49 PM
Hi all. :)

Vacation is wonderful....except.....Peanut started being obsessed with the litterbox. She was in it constantly, scratching and straining. My first thought was UTI, but knowing the vet said this would be the first sign that her "malignancy" was flaring up/coming back/getting worse, I started to panic. I had also sprinkled some baking soda on the litter and when she went I noticed the baking soda was a little pink, indicating blood.

However, when she wasn't scratching and being obsessed with the litterbox, she was fine, even killing her little mousie, sitting by the motorhome door and open windows to sniff the breeze and begging for treats. I didn't know what to think, so I took her to a local vet this morning knowing this vet would have no idea about her previous bladder issues. As I predictated, I was given Clavamox to be given twice a day - in liquid form which I've never had before.

My question is, since I gave her the first dose this morning, she has seemed a little....lackluster? Not sure if that is the right word, but she just seems a little more "out of it" than she did before the antibiotic. Is this normal? She has eaten, pooed and peed, sniffed the breeezes and everything else since the dose, but she seems to be sleeping more with less energy.

Needless to say, I'm really hoping it's the antibiotics that are making her feel a little funky......

No matter what, she will be making a trip to her regular vet the instant we get home.

LoudLou
12-28-2005, 09:11 PM
Awww, Peanut. I'm sorry your feelin' funky. We don't have any experience with antibiotics and The Beans, so I'm afraid I'm not much help. I do hope you feel better soon little Precious Princess Peanut... WE LOVE YOU!

Hugs to your very worried meowmie & daddy.

catnapper
12-28-2005, 09:13 PM
Could be. I know when I take certain antibiotics I feel funny. When I had Bronchitis last month, I BEGGED my doctor not to prescribe one particular antibiotic because it makes me terribly nausious (sp?) So, if it can do that to me, why can't it make her also feel a bit icky?

Sorry to hear that she's having potty issues. I'm experiencing the same thing right now -- Pouncer has been in and out of the litterbox alllll day. I have a vet appointment tomorrow and my heart is breaking for the poor boy. Pouncer sends heabumpies of commiseration to Peanut and I send lots of prayers.

slick
12-28-2005, 09:33 PM
Oh my gosh Debbie, this is terrible, but rest easy. Whenever Max or Speckles have been on meds, they seemed to sleep more right after. I used to give Specks her meds right after dinner and an hour later, she'd be in her favourite sleeping spot and be out for the night. Max has the same reaction. Good thing you took them along on your trip (the meds, that is). As you know, watch out for the deadly diarrhea that comes from antibiotics.

Get well Princess Peanut.

krazyaboutkatz
12-29-2005, 01:26 AM
Debbie, I'm sorry to hear that Princess Peanut is having bladder issues again. :( My cats will also sometimes react this way but I think it all depends on how sick they really are. I hope that she'll feel better soon and that meds will do the trick.

jenluckenbach
12-29-2005, 05:20 AM
Poor Peanut. :(

K & L
12-29-2005, 06:57 AM
It could be the medication or she's just feeling worse that day. You know how when we're sick sometimes we'll feel worse before better. I sure hope all is well with the little girl. Will watch for updates!

Craftlady
12-29-2005, 09:23 AM
At our house liquid Clavamox caused diarreah (lightly runny poop). It works great within a few days you see good results towards recovery.

rkidsrcats
12-29-2005, 09:41 AM
Get better Peanut.
Yes, our guys are sort of out of it after a dose of Clavamox. Our vet said to give it within 20-30 min of them eating something so it doesn't upset the tummy ( if that's worth anything in this case, I don't know)
Hope she feels better soon.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-29-2005, 09:44 AM
Thanks everybody. We're off to the vet this morning to exchange the liquid for the pill form. After I gave it to Peanut this morning, she promptly threw it right back up. She does seem to be feeling better as the litterbox obsession has eased.

Gotta go, will try to check back later.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
12-29-2005, 03:20 PM
Instead of the pill form, they gave me Amoxycillian (sp?) in the liquid form. Evidently they're averse to pills? :confused: But the good news is I gave some to her as soon as we got back, and she hasn't thrown up yet, so I think this one will work better. She is still a little sleepier today than normal, but she's doing good and her little pee biscuits are getting bigger, so I think it's working - whew! :D

Cinder & Smoke
12-29-2005, 03:28 PM
... she's doing good and
her little pee biscuits are getting bigger,
so I think it's working - whew! :D

:)
:D

Life is Good!

;)

catmandu
12-29-2005, 05:35 PM
We are praying as hard as we can for Peanut,and we pray that when she is home,your Vet can get to the bottom,of what is ailing one of the nicest Cats on Pet Talk!

krazyaboutkatz
12-29-2005, 10:17 PM
I'm glad to hear that Peanuts peeing is getting better. :D Hopefully the new medicine will do the trick. :)

My new vets office will always give me antibiotics in the liquid form too but Storm had very bad diarrhea with it and it tends to be much messier so now I'm requesting it in pill form. ;)

smokey the elder
12-30-2005, 07:42 AM
Clavamox has 2 drugs in it. Peanut might be allergic to one of them. I hope she feels better.